6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:00 PM
SubZero
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of power

2004 f250 6.0. When trying to climb hill tried to kick it to passing gear and it had no power felt like the Turbo wasn't working. Then it kicked in and heard the Turbo. Ran ok for awhile then did it again. Changed fuel filters ran good for awhile. Now its back to it again. Any ideas? No check engine light on. Its like I have no Turbo. Need help I'm 500 miles from home.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:02 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
It sounds like the turbo vanes are sticking and your turbo needs cleaned. You might take it out and run it HARD for a bit to see if that helps clean it out. The other alternative is removing the turbo and cleaning it yourself or visiting a shop. There are good instructions in the 6.0 tech folder at the beginning of this forum.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:07 PM
SubZero
New User
took the truck to the ford lot and this is what they had to say

1. turbo sticking
2. needs new egr value
3. icp showing readings not consistant
4. ficm throwing multiple sensors
5. deguas bottle swollen..
6. possible blown headgasket.

they shot me a price of $9670.00 WOW a truck with 171k miles

Old 03-03-2012, 07:37 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by SubZero
took the truck to the ford lot and this is what they had to say

1. turbo sticking
2. needs new egr value
3. icp showing readings not consistant
4. ficm throwing multiple sensors
5. deguas bottle swollen..
6. possible blown headgasket.

they shot me a price of $9670.00 WOW a truck with 171k miles

Boy I would say WOW 10K Huh

Has it been Puking coolant does the heater blow heat at Idel does it have temp spikes these are sign of bad HG

Do you run a Tunner

First time Iv ever heard a Swollen Degass bottle

do you know what codes they pulled

Old 03-03-2012, 07:50 PM
SubZero
New User
I dont believe the HG is blown, temp always stays normal no spikes what so ever. No water in oil The degass bottle has white specs on it and is swelled up and thats why they think HG. Truck runs Great expect recently the turbo started sticking. The codes they showed me where from the EGR valve. I unplugged it hoping that was the issue. But from Missouri to Oklahoma it stuck once. Had no power then I kicked it down. If I let off of it and back on ran good again. So im believe it's just the turbo sticking and EGR valve. Then they said the ICP reading was flucuating. Yeah I think that quote was for a new turbo, egr, HG labor and all. I don't have any guages or anything.

I'm planing on have the turbo veins cleaned from ford they qouted me $467.00 But whats the price of a new Turbo? If it's not to much differnt I'd just put a new turbo in it.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
I'm betting your egr valve is going bad. That's the power issues that happened randomly. They are riding the 6.0 rep for the rest to some easy money. The ficm doesn't throw sensor codes! Lol wtf they are smoking something!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:17 PM
SubZero
New User
Originally Posted by Unrealo4
I'm betting your egr valve is going bad. That's the power issues that happened randomly. They are riding the 6.0 rep for the rest to some easy money. The ficm doesn't throw sensor codes! Lol wtf they are smoking something!

Dont think the turbo is sticking? I Dont have boost till about 2300 rpm. but then at times trying to climb a hill its like weak dropped to 60mph rpm to 3500 and no boost then it finally kicked in. I unplugged the EGR valve would that not take care of that or would I need to replace it?

Old 03-03-2012, 09:06 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Dont think the turbo is sticking? I Dont have boost till about 2300 rpm. but then at times trying to climb a hill its like weak dropped to 60mph rpm to 3500 and no boost then it finally kicked in. I unplugged the EGR valve would that not take care of that or would I need to replace it?

Go to an auto parts store and scan it for codes

Unplugging the EGR Valve maynot help if its all gummed up and stuck open

If you ever pass an AutoZone stop in get the Codes read and see if they have a ScanGaugeII you could buy you can program it to read alot of stuff on this 6.0 Like Boost,EBP,MAP,VGT those are the sensors the PCM Reads info from and also uses to control the Turbo.

Also check the CAC Boots for leaks

are you losing any coolant

Old 03-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
My bosses egr valve got stuck open. It didn't have any power until it hit about 2k rpms. But he had full boost the whole time. So be sure that the boost guage reads 0 or under 10 before you say its the Turbo. My advise is go to a ford dealership and buy either a new egr valve or the o-ring kit. Pull and replace or clean your egr valve. Leave it unplugged to verify you now have power.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:09 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
If you can post a pic of that Bloated coolant bottle. I have never seen or heard of that B4. Usually they Crack on the seam.

Might also be worth trying a new Coolant bottle cap to its cheap. Usually they get weaker over time and wont hold pressure so IDK but couldnt hurt to try it.

IMO it would take ALOT of pressure in the coolant system to Bloat the coolant bottle.

A Blown EGR Cooler will put pressure into the Coolant system to. If it were me Id pull the EGR Valve clean/replace, and also look into the EGR Valve chamber in the intake manafold and check for coolant there.

No Boost Might be from a Bad sensor or turbo bad or a CAC leak. It would be worth checking the sensors I mentioned B4 before you replace the turbo. Some of those sensors could also be affecting EGR Valve operation

It would be in your best interest to get a ScanGaugeII and start checking the truck out

Do you run a Tunner

Old 03-04-2012, 03:04 PM
SubZero
New User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
If you can post a pic of that Bloated coolant bottle. I have never seen or heard of that B4. Usually they Crack on the seam.

Might also be worth trying a new Coolant bottle cap to its cheap. Usually they get weaker over time and wont hold pressure so IDK but couldnt hurt to try it.

IMO it would take ALOT of pressure in the coolant system to Bloat the coolant bottle.

A Blown EGR Cooler will put pressure into the Coolant system to. If it were me Id pull the EGR Valve clean/replace, and also look into the EGR Valve chamber in the intake manafold and check for coolant there.

No Boost Might be from a Bad sensor or turbo bad or a CAC leak. It would be worth checking the sensors I mentioned B4 before you replace the turbo. Some of those sensors could also be affecting EGR Valve operation

It would be in your best interest to get a ScanGaugeII and start checking the truck out

Do you run a Tunner

No tunner truck is bone stock. has never even pulled anything before. Heat does work at idle. Ordered a scangauge 2 gonna take 2 days for it to get here. Driving back to texas Tuesday will see how it goes. Did alright around town today of course I didn't get on it to much. Went from Texas to missouri then to Oklahoma hasn't used any coolant. So I dont believe its the HG.