03 Ranger Duratec spark knock! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

03 Ranger Duratec spark knock!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Junior User

rednck21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
03 Ranger Duratec spark knock!

03, 2.3 duratec, 163k, new timing chain, plugs (AP104), wires and intake. cleaned MAF, air filter, and ran two cans of sea foam through the intake and its still pinging. its driving me up the wall. truck runs perfect but seems to idle slightly higher and take longer to come down to idle after i got the timing chain and plugs/wires done. ive sprayed starting fluid around on top of the engine looking for vacuum leaks but found nothing. what should i try next? any suggestions? TIA
Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Posting Guru

critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Mat need "smoke machine" to locate.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Junior User

thats what i was thinking too. i dont even know what a smoke machine is so maybe ill spray more starting fluid
Old 03-01-2012, 05:58 AM
Elder User

03 Maz B23 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That engine has a knock sensor. Maybe it got unplugged or the sensor itself is bad.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:57 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Was it doing this Before all of the work????

If so, did it come about suddenly after some event????

Scan, or have the computer scanned for trouble codes, even if the CEL isn't lit, as pending codes that haven't turned the CEL on yet can be stored & they can offer up good trouble shooting clues. Most autoparts stores will do it at no cost if your having problems even if the CEL isn't lit.

After the repairs, have you disconnected the battery to wipe the KAM to get rid of the old fuel trim tables, so the computer can begin to build new ones????

If you have, or can come by a scantool that'll display live sensor PID's to the computer, what do the fuel trim numbers look like???? The MAF & O2 sensor PID's????
Old 03-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Posting Guru

michigan66 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just a footnote to the original posting: t6he engine is not a Duratec. When i bought my 2008 Ranger, I thought the same as you. In talking with Ford mechanics, reviewing the literature, reading the Factory Service Manuals closely and comparing certain aspects of the two engines, the truck engine differs from the Duratec engines found in passenger cars (I own a 2008 Mercury Milan, 4 cyl. also). For example, the Duratec engine has coil-on-plug ignition and variable valve timing while the truck engine does not.

Last edited by michigan66; 03-01-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 03-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 Maz B23 View Post
That engine has a knock sensor. Maybe it got unplugged or the sensor itself is bad.
do you know where its located?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Was it doing this Before all of the work????

If so, did it come about suddenly after some event????

Scan, or have the computer scanned for trouble codes, even if the CEL isn't lit, as pending codes that haven't turned the CEL on yet can be stored & they can offer up good trouble shooting clues. Most autoparts stores will do it at no cost if your having problems even if the CEL isn't lit.

After the repairs, have you disconnected the battery to wipe the KAM to get rid of the old fuel trim tables, so the computer can begin to build new ones????

If you have, or can come by a scantool that'll display live sensor PID's to the computer, what do the fuel trim numbers look like???? The MAF & O2 sensor PID's????

to be honest, i dont exactly remember. i do know that if it was knocking before the work then i would remember it. seems like i do remember a very very faint spark knock, but nothing like it is now. ill see if i can find a scanner, and ive tried disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for a few minutes. it sounded the same...
Old 03-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan66 View Post
Just a footnote to the original posting: t6he engine is not a Duratec. When i bought my 2008 Ranger, I thought the same as you. In talking with Ford mechanics, reviewing the literature, reading the Factory Service Manuals closely and comparing certain aspects of the two engines, the truck engine differs from the Duratec engines found in passenger cars (I own a 2008 Mercury Milan, 4 cyl. also). For example, the Duratec engine has coil-on-plug ignition and variable valve timing while the truck engine does not.

really?? i didnt know that. so would a 2010-11 2.3 be a duratec??
Old 03-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Duratec 23

The Duratec 23 is a 2.3 L (140 CID; 2261 cc).<sup id="cite_ref-specs1_2-0" class="reference">[3]</sup> Bore is 3.44 inches (87.5 mm) and stroke is 3.70 inches (94 mm).<sup id="cite_ref-specs1_2-1" class="reference">[3]</sup> It has an aluminum engine block with cast-in iron cylinder liners and an aluminum DOHC cylinder head. It uses SFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder and features fracture-split forged powder metal connecting rods and a one-piece cast crankshaft.
The 23EW is built in Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico for transverse installation in several front-drive Ford/Mercury vehicles through the 2009 model year. "EW" in the Ford designation code denotes East-West configuration, or FWD. 3 versions of the 23EW have been produced. A standard DOHC 16V version was used in the North American Focus producing 151 hp (113 kW) at 5750 rpm with 154 lbft (209 Nm) of torque at 4250 rpm. An iVCT (intake variable cam timing)-equipped DOHC 16V version was used in the 2006-2009 Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan, and several generations of CD2-based crossovers.
The 23NS is built in Dearborn, Michigan for the Ford Ranger and North American market Mazda B-Series. These engines are tuned for torque-bias making them suitable for light-truck use and are not equipped with iVCT or VICS. Output is 143 hp (107 kW) at 5250 rpm with 154 lbft (209 Nm) of torque at 3750 rpm.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Junior User

Ponyguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Just a footnote to the original posting: the engine is not a Duratec. When i bought my 2008 Ranger, I thought the same as you. In talking with Ford mechanics, reviewing the literature, reading the Factory Service Manuals closely and comparing certain aspects of the two engines, the truck engine differs from the Duratec engines found in passenger cars (I own a 2008 Mercury Milan, 4 cyl. also). For example, the Duratec engine has coil-on-plug ignition and variable valve timing while the truck engine does not.
I disagree, and vehemently.

Duratec is a marketing brand name used by Ford Motor Company for its family of aluminum-block 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

Ford used the old cast-iron block "Lima" engine as the standard 4 cylinder engine for the Ranger from its inception in 1982 until early production 2001 models. The "Lima" engine (offered in 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5 liter capacities) was replaced by the "Duratec" 4 cylinder in all U.S. model 4 cylinder applications.

The Ranger 2.3 engine used in the Ranger since 2001.5 (Late November 2000 production) is, indeed, a Duratec 2.3 liter "NS" (RWD) model. Ford's Duratec is also used by Mazda called the MZR design. The Ford Ranger version uses a slightly different (lighter) crankshaft from the FWD models, and it has no balance shaft. In 2004, Ranger did not use COP ignition, but since I haven't peeked, I'm not sure about later models; my guess is that it doesn't.

The "EW" version of the Duratec 2.3 engine used in Ford's FWD models (Fusion, Milan, Escape, and Focus, among others) is the same basic engine (3.44" Bore, 3.70" stroke, aluminum head and block with cast-in Iron cylinder liners, chain-driven DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder) as the "NS" version used in the Ranger.

Mazda and FWD Ford Duratecs have variable valve timing and COP ignition on some (but not all) of their models; there are also 1.8 liter, 2.0 liter and 2.5 liter versions of basically the same Duratec 4 cylinder FWD engine. The only major differences are the bore and stroke, and the parts relating to them.

Think of the old Ford "FE" engines... they were all called the "FE" engine, but there were displacements all over the map, from 332 all the way up to 428 cubic inches, and about 9 or 10 steps in between. But, they were all still the basic "FE" engine series.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednck21 View Post
do you know where its located?

Here's a link on where's it's located.

| Repair Guides | Component Locations | Knock Sensor | AutoZone.com
Old 03-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Junior User

thanks, i unplugged it and drove it down the road and it did seem slightly louder(maybe) with it unplugged. do the knock sensors slowly weaken or just go out completely?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Elder User

Have you checked it for stored codes? Autozone/Advance don't charge to scan it.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Junior User

no but i will get it done asap....