03 Ranger Duratec spark knock! - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

03 Ranger Duratec spark knock!

Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednck21 View Post
to be honest, i dont exactly remember. i do know that if it was knocking before the work then i would remember it. seems like i do remember a very very faint spark knock, but nothing like it is now. ill see if i can find a scanner, and ive tried disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for a few minutes. it sounded the same...
A couple of things come to mind, since the timing chain has been replaced, a chain tensioner thats acting out can sound like spark knock.

Did you remove the MAF sensor for careful cleaning, let it cool & not poke its wire sensor with the spray wand & used a plastic safe non residual spray cleaner, like CRC or Valvolene MAF sensor cleaning products, that are formulated to not leave drying deposits that can uncalibrate the MAF sensor & were you careful to keep it squeeky clean on installation????
Old 03-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Junior User

rednck21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
yes, i cleaned the MAF with the CRC MAF cleaner and was very careful with it while it was out...
Old 03-02-2012, 05:14 PM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednck21 View Post
03, 2.3 duratec, 163k, new timing chain, plugs (AP104), wires and intake. cleaned MAF, air filter, and ran two cans of sea foam through the intake and its still pinging. its driving me up the wall. truck runs perfect but seems to idle slightly higher and take longer to come down to idle after i got the timing chain and plugs/wires done. ive sprayed starting fluid around on top of the engine looking for vacuum leaks but found nothing. what should i try next? any suggestions? TIA
In rereading your initial post I just noticed that you said that you had a new "intake", so does that mean that you've replaced the OEM air intake plumbing & if so, was the IAT sensor also reused & is it hooked up???

Our Rangers come from the factory with a cold air intake thats not restrictive, so if we mess with that, we have to be mindful of reusing the intake air sensor & not letting hot under hood air get into the engine air intake, especially without the air intake sensor in place, so the computer can make fuel trim & spark advance adjustments to prevent detonation.

If you rev the engine with the hood up, can you hear any rattle & if so, can you pinpoint its location????

Do you have a CEL lit???? If so, have the computer scanned for trouble codes & post All code numbers, as they can provide good trouble shooting clues.

Good feedback on the MAF sensor cleaning, sounds like you were careful & did good with that. Did you disconnect the battery B- cable afterward, to wipe the KAM, so the computer can begin to build new fuel trim tables???
Old 03-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Junior User

what is IAT?

i replaced the plastic intake that goes from the throttle body to the head....not from the throttle body to the air filter. my post was kinda mis leading. the IMCR actuator (whatever that means) was worn out and causing a terrible knocking at low rpm's....thats why we replaced the timing chain, but didnt discover the bad actuator till after the timing chain was done.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Junior User

i did dis connect the battery after everything was done and i dont have a CEL on but will try to find a scan tool to see if there are any pending codes
Old 03-02-2012, 05:56 PM

IAT= Intake Air Temperature, sensor.

IMRC= Intake Manafold Runner Control. The 4 banger has a computer controlled split intake manafold & the computer uses the actuator to select the portion of the intake manafold to open to intake air flow to improve engine power. Since its a programmed in computer controlled function, the engine & computer would appreciate it being in place & functional & you likely will too!!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
IMRC= Intake Manafold Runner Control. The 4 banger has a computer controlled split intake manafold & the computer uses the actuator to select the portion of the intake manafold to open to intake air flow to improve engine power. Since its a programmed in computer controlled function, the engine & computer would appreciate it being in place & functional & you likely will too!!!!

the "rail" on one end of the intake was worn out with a lot of play....thats where the initial ticking sound was coming from.