6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 Diesel or 6.2 Gas?

Old 02-27-2012, 02:42 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
6.7 Diesel or 6.2 Gas?

In light of the HPFP threads etc. I was wondering why a lot of you chose your 6.7 over a gas model? In looking for what type of truck I would want I was drawn to the diesel for the towing capacity. The wife had talked about pulling a 5th wheel one day and I thought the only way we would be able to pull the 5th wheel she looks at (roughly the size of a house) was to buy a diesel.

I am really not trying to start a doom and gloom thread...I just want some responses from a lot of you that have the 6.7 as to why you chose it over the gas model. I am aware that the torque for the diesel is almost double what the gas model can produce.

Anyway, I would like to hear some thoughts either way on the subject.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:53 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The gasser super duty trucks will tow anything the diesel ones will. It's just the preference of the driver, not really a black and white ink on paper kind of decision. This is why gas vs. diesel threads go on for weeks......

I drove gas engines for years, I tow medium to large trailers all the time. If I put 50k miles on my truck in one year, 40k of those miles will be with a trailer. So for me the diesel is extremely nice. When you drive with a good load/trailer the engine does not rev high, make louder sounds, and the transmission is not searching for gears every 30 seconds. Generally, the diesel will not act any differently when it has a big load pulling against it.

With a gas engine there is much more evidence apparent to you that the engine is being asked to work hard. I find this annoying, tiresome, and even stressful. I drive around 1,000 miles per week and prefer not to listen to a screaming engine.

So in my personal experience it boils down to perception. The gas motor lets you know when it's working. The diesel remains the same, loaded or not. It's more enjoyable and more powerful.

For what it's worth, I don't pay any attention to the bad fuel fuel pump threads anymore. I don't even read them.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a good question that will give you many varied answers. I did my own research and feel that the risk is low there will be an issue with my engine, or in this case, fuel system. And in my case only, if there is a systemic issue I can only blame myself for faulty research.

I chose the Ford brand because of my past experience with the brand and belief that they make the best truck in this class. I traded up from my '05 6.0L diesel which had quite a few issues over the years. I chose diesel for the pulling power and low end torque. The diesel option cost more to purchase and maintain, but I took this into my analysis before I purchased it.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I wanted a diesel. I did not want a gas truck.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Noah2010
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simply, to pull my 14K fiver without me knowing it.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 PM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
I wanted a diesel. I did not want a gas truck.
Pretty much sums it up.

The V10 or the new 6.2 will get the job done, but I'm willing to pay the extra $$$$ and deal with the added maintenance to have the pulling power and fuel economy of the diesel.

If a person is going to lie awake at night worrying about an expensive repair or that they can't afford it, then they should take a long look at a gasser.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I had the same dilemma when I was buying my truck, the most it has towed is my two sleds so far, a little more power then needed at the moment, but plan is to get a 5er in a year or so, so we can bring the camper and boat. Then I'm sure I will be happy I got the 6.7 lol

Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
I simple got tired of having to stay on top of a gas burner at all times. Meaning coming to a hill, go like a bat outta heck down to try and top hill at a reasonable pace.heaven forbid if it's windy. And fuel economy on gas burners pulling alot is a joke.
Now the 6.2 would probably do what ya want if you don't mind twisting that motor tit drum tight pulling a heavy load. I've been in them both working very hard and for me it was simple. DIESEL.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:56 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In the interest of being fair and honest, I want to stress one important thing. Don't let anyone tell you that a gas engine won't tow as much as the diesel. They are both more powerful than we really need, even when considering a18k pound trailer.

It's the behavior, manners, tendency of the motors that is different.

I always feel that the argument gets clouded with other things that mess it up.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:07 PM
los341
Senior User

Ultimately I think it's about saving money. How many tractor trailer rigs have you ever seen that run on gas? It's not about power or torque (you can always make a bigger gasoline-based powerplant that would equal or exceed the physical capabilities of a given diesel).

For the companies that own and run the tractor trailer rigs, money is all that matters. So the combined costs of a diesel engine, diesel fuel, and all maintenance must be less than the combined costs of a gas-driven rig. I'm sure somebody has already done the math .

-- los341.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:08 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I really appreciate the answers...here is where I am currently.

Before finding this site I had my mind made up that I was just going to get the F150 with the Ecoboost and just not get a large trailer later when we decide to get one. One day I said to the wife, lets go look at trailers just to get an idea of what we would want to have. She immediately went to a really expensive large trailer. So in my mind I thought...well if this is what we will end up with there is no way to tow this with anything else but a diesel.

I currently only have a 3200 lb. boat to tow...and really my Sequoia does tow that. It does struggle going up hills just towing the boat so I do understand the speed up to get up the hill and have it wound tight comment that's for sure.

Part of me says just get the F150 and if we need it down the road buy a RV to go camping in. That way I won't have to worry about what size of truck to have, and I can tow the boat too. The trouble with an RV is that you will need something to get around in sometimes like when you have to go get more ice etc. during camping...and when you are pulling a boat that leaves no room for anything else.

The Ecoboost can do everything the 6.2 can do from the comparison. I know that having the diesel it would tow most things like it wasn't even there. The other bad thing is I am a gadget guy at heart...and in a way after driving the 6.7...the F150 would feel like a downgrade. Sigh...what a dilemma!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:12 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Years ago, we decided to move our entire fleet to diesel. Previously we had both diesel and gas pumps in our yard and it was a real hassle. We would have to order and keep track of three types of fuel (on-road diesel, off-road diesel, regular gasoline). Guys would forget what they were driving and would stupidly put gasoline in diesel trucks. Gasoline tanks and pumps had to be tested and certified regularly, ect. Transporting gasoline was a hassle beyond 20 gallons. Eventually, we just got fed up with it.

Now, everything we buy is diesel and it's great. Whether it's a generator, a welder, a pickup, a dumptruck, class 8 tractor, whatever.

The only thing we don't like about it, is the selection of diesel vehicles here in the U.S. is kind of lacking. We're basically stuck buying heavy duty pickups and vans in applications where lighter duty vehicles would do. Somebody needs to bring out half-ton and smaller diesels that aren't expensive luxury vehicles.

A diesel option for the Expedition would be great. A diesel Transit Connect would also be a wonderful little run-about (and they sell them everywhere else in the world but here ).

Old 02-27-2012, 04:26 PM
8iron
Senior User
A different perspective...I have the 6.2. I do not need the extra torque for my towing needs. The diesel would be great fun but overkill for me. The upfront cost of the diesel was a consideration, as was DEF fluid, cold starts living on the Canadian prairies, and more expensive at the pumps. The complexity and cost of today's diesel emissions means I personally wouldn't keep it past warranty expiration. The 6.2 has more HP and only a little less torque that a diesel from 10 years ago. Again these are my needs, I have nothing against the Powerstroke and will buy one if my needs change.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM
milsuper
Junior User
I ordered a new 6.7L PSD because
1) I already have a gas truck. I wanted a diesel this time.
2) I have a large farm. I need to tow large horse trailers/farm equipments with ease.
3) When I tow, I have to tow mininum 200 miles or more at a time, mostly on highway/interstate. Perfect mission for a diesel.
4) I have two other gas car/SUV for daily drivers in addition to my gas truck. No issues and worries about regen and associated issues with new 6.7L PSD driven as DD for short distance, since I have other gas DD's to drive around.
5) Ironically, don't really care about the cost of diesel since the gas price right now is going up, and who knows which (gas or diesel) will be cheaper over long run? Does anyone know?
6) Diversification of vehicles....yeah...play it safe with diversification...haha.

P.S. If you had to fly all the way from east coast to west coast...would you like to get there in a Cessna or a F-15 with a full payload?

Old 02-27-2012, 05:59 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

Originally Posted by B&LLandscaping
Pretty much sums it up.

The V10 or the new 6.2 will get the job done, but I'm willing to pay the extra $$$$ and deal with the added maintenance to have the pulling power and fuel economy of the diesel.

If a person is going to lie awake at night worrying about an expensive repair or that they can't afford it, then they should take a long look at a gasser.
Yep. though the price of admission is higher as is the price to stay in the game. all worth it to me.... but YMMV

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.7 Diesel or 6.2 Gas?