6.7 Diesel or 6.2 Gas? - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.7 Diesel or 6.2 Gas?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Postmaster

PrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to all
Ok so do you think a F150 Ecoboost would be able to tow something like this?

Keystone Premier | Home
Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Post Fiend

ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
It would but I would be sure to have hefty tires and would choose where I go carefully. I have towed similar camper with an expedition 5.4. It does ok but have to keep speed at 60 or less. Weak link is rear end gear, transmission, and tires.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Elder User

Front Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputation
It sure can.

Looking at the specs, the heaviest TT (Premier Ultralite) is the 31 footer at 6305 pounds with a hitch weight of 780.

The F150EB can tow 11,300 pounds if equipped properly.

2012 Ford F-150 | View Towing Specifications | Ford.com
Old 03-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Postmaster

PrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to all
Ok so in saying that...would it be better to have a 5th wheel attachment or on the hitch? I would think one drawback of the 5th wheel would be you cannot put much in the truck bed.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Elder User

2001400ex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceValium View Post
Ok so in saying that...would it be better to have a 5th wheel attachment or on the hitch? I would think one drawback of the 5th wheel would be you cannot put much in the truck bed.
Yes the 150 would tow it. I don't think I have seen where you live yet. But if you pull it 20 miles a few weekends a year, you will be fine. But I burned out a transmission in a half ton Chevy towing a 5,000 pound camper through Montana for 3 hours each way. Hence the 3/4 ton I bought, then stepped up to the diesel. If you tow it often and longer distances with big hills, I say do NOT get the 150.

For the bumper pull versus 5th wheel. The 5th wheel is nicer as it is a lot easier to maneuver, but yes you can't put much in the bed. I went with the bumper pull because I put a bunch of wood in the bed and can put coolers and such in there. Others don't have that issue. There are times though backing into camping spots and some tight gas stations I wish I had the 5th wheel.

Me personally, if you think there is a good chance to get a camper, then spend the money when you upgrade now. You don't want to buy the F150 and get irritated the first time you pull your camper and go get a diesel. But again, totally depends on the terrain and how far you are going.

On another note, someone said "Once you go diesel, you don't go back." Yes that is true with me. But my brother actually just last week traded in his 2009 Duramax for a Toyota Tacoma. He is downsizing due to cost though and selling his tractor/trailer. So the heaviest thing he will haul now is a flat bed trailer with 2 or 3 quads. I told him he will be screaming the first time he even pulls something that small, but he didn't listen. LOL

Hope that helps.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Senior User

Mr. Mcbeevee is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Mr. Mcbeevee is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Ok so do you think a F150 Ecoboost would be able to tow something like this?

Keystone Premier | Home

Shouldn't be a problem, my 29 ft Forrest River weighs 6400 lbs dry and my wife's ecoboost handles it just fine, just make sure you use your sway bars.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:56 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mcbeevee View Post
Shouldn't be a problem, my 29 ft Forrest River weighs 6400 lbs dry and my wife's ecoboost handles it just fine, just make sure you use your sway bars.
The F150 doesn't have sway bars?
Old 03-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Elder User

Quote:
The F150 doesn't have sway bars?
You buy a hitch with the sway bars. Depending on the way the trailer is balanced, you will want airbags. My toy hauler is to heavy and even squatted my f250 where I wanted airbags. Personal choice though.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:00 AM
Senior User

caere is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't forget payload. I have a crew cab XLT XTR and with my tools in the bed I'm over my capacity towing my utility trailer and 20' deck over. I usually don't go more than 8,000 lbs a tow with either trailer. I was so pushed into the Eco by the sales guy he never mentioned payload just towing capacity. I didn't even think about the payload since it wasn't an issue with my 6.0l f250. So now I'm looking at going back to an f250 gas or diesel.

How much weight are you gonna carry in the truck? You bringing the bike in the back too?

The f150 HD might be ok but I doubt you'd get much better or worse mileage than the 6.2l f250 at that point. I'm one of the unlucky guys with a ecoboost that gets an average of 12 mpg in city and 14-15 on highway. Whoopee . I've tried premium, driving like an old lady and getting out and pushing. No change!

Last edited by caere; 03-06-2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-06-2012, 03:11 AM
Senior User

caere is starting off with a positive reputation.
So forgot to say, I've been watching this thread because I'm in the same situation. I tow approx. 5,000-8,000 lbs 2-3 times a week minimum. I put on about 35,000 km's a year. I just don't know what I should be leaning towards. I miss having a diesel. But am a bit leary because of all this fuel pump talk. My 6.0l was a lemon and I poured so much money into the stupid thing.

So not to hijack but what do you guys recommend in this situation. Would my towing more frequently than the OP be diesel time?

Also OP, you can get a full 8' box and a crew cab with the f250. It's a long truck but you get used to it. I loved having so much room in the bed.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 AM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by caere View Post
So not to hijack but what do you guys recommend in this situation. Would my towing more frequently than the OP be diesel time?
Not unless you want it to be. The 6.7L is a great driving engine and would certainly feel easier in front of 6-8,000 lbs, but the 6.2L will do that all day as well. Either truck would be a great choice!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Elder User

Front Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy001 View Post
Not unless you want it to be. The 6.7L is a great driving engine and would certainly feel easier in front of 6-8,000 lbs, but the 6.2L will do that all day as well. Either truck would be a great choice!
I second that while adding that the 6.7 will yield a little better fuel mileage while pulling the load.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Elder User

Quote:
So forgot to say, I've been watching this thread because I'm in the same situation. I tow approx. 5,000-8,000 lbs 2-3 times a week minimum. I put on about 35,000 km's a year. I just don't know what I should be leaning towards. I miss having a diesel. But am a bit leary because of all this fuel pump talk. My 6.0l was a lemon and I poured so much money into the stupid thing.

Also OP, you can get a full 8' box and a crew cab with the f250. It's a long truck but you get used to it. I loved having so much room in the bed.
Personally I would get rid of the 150 before the warranty is up. I have a feeling that towing that often you will burn up the tranny at some point. My choice would be to go with the diesel especially if there are significant hills in your towing. But the gas engine will handle it, just wouldn't be my choice in that application.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Don't forget payload. I have a crew cab XLT XTR and with my tools in the bed I'm over my capacity towing my utility trailer and 20' deck over. I usually don't go more than 8,000 lbs a tow with either trailer. I was so pushed into the Eco by the sales guy he never mentioned payload just towing capacity. I didn't even think about the payload since it wasn't an issue with my 6.0l f250. So now I'm looking at going back to an f250 gas or diesel.

How much weight are you gonna carry in the truck? You bringing the bike in the back too?

The f150 HD might be ok but I doubt you'd get much better or worse mileage than the 6.2l f250 at that point. I'm one of the unlucky guys with a ecoboost that gets an average of 12 mpg in city and 14-15 on highway. Whoopee . I've tried premium, driving like an old lady and getting out and pushing. No change!
I don't think I would be able to tow the bike in the bed as well...it is only 980lbs...but I think if I do get a trailer it will be a 5er...so that is an impossibility. I guess I also look at everyday drive ability and that most of the time I will be commuting in the truck.

When I drove my buddies F250PSD I just loved it...the truck was powerful, comfortable, and I could definately see driving it all the time. The reason for looking at the F150 was a price thing.

I know everyone keeps saying the transmission won't last but I don't see how it would be any different than the super duty transmission as far as reliability. Who knows by the time I am ready to get a truck I might get lucky and find a used F350 PSD and buy it..lI don't know
Old 03-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Elder User

Quote:
I don't think I would be able to tow the bike in the bed as well...it is only 980lbs...but I think if I do get a trailer it will be a 5er...so that is an impossibility. I guess I also look at everyday drive ability and that most of the time I will be commuting in the truck.

When I drove my buddies F250PSD I just loved it...the truck was powerful, comfortable, and I could definately see driving it all the time. The reason for looking at the F150 was a price thing.

I know everyone keeps saying the transmission won't last but I don't see how it would be any different than the super duty transmission as far as reliability. Who knows by the time I am ready to get a truck I might get lucky and find a used F350 PSD and buy it..lI don't know
The SD has a lot stronger tranny. I am not saying the 150 tranny can't handle the load, I just wouldn't want to tow all the time with it. While the SD tranny is bulletproof.

If cost is a motivating factor, get a used 6.2. Let someone else pay the depreciation and it sounds like it should handle your use.