6.7 Diesel or 6.2 Gas? - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.7 Diesel or 6.2 Gas?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Deplorable

Chad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer5349 View Post
......I will miss my wing windows. Don't mean to offend anyone with a newer body style here. It's only my opinion.

I will be subscribing to this thread.
I don't smoke and miss my wing windows....
Old 03-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Posting Guru

Racer5349 has a good reputation on FTE.Racer5349 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceValium View Post
If you have not driven the new 6.7 you owe it to yourself to at least do it....it will leave you longing for it just like me.
That is what I am afraid of.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Postmaster

PrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer5349 View Post
That is what I am afraid of.
All I can say is you will be smiling from ear to ear when you stomp that accelerator pedal!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Senior User

Xyzzy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just for fun, I entertained the thought of trading my 2011 6.7L diesel in for a 2012 6.2L gasser.

We all hear how awesome the resale values are for SuperDuty trucks, right? And I live in a part of the country where there are more trucks than cars, so the demand is there.

Three different dealers offered me $38-39K for my mint 6.7L 44 "Lariat Ultimate" that had a MSRP of $60K. It has 14,000 miles on it.

Oh yeah, that was *with* my $600 N-FAB chrome nerf bars and an $800 WeatherGuard tool box. Since I could reuse both of those items I suspect they would have offered me even less.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Senior User

B&LLandscaping has a good reputation on FTE.B&LLandscaping has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Just for fun, I entertained the thought of trading my 2011 6.7L diesel in for a 2012 6.2L gasser.

We all hear how awesome the resale values are for SuperDuty trucks, right? And I live in a part of the country where there are more trucks than cars, so the demand is there.

Three different dealers offered me $38-39K for my mint 6.7L 44 "Lariat Ultimate" that had a MSRP of $60K. It has 14,000 miles on it.

Oh yeah, that was *with* my $600 N-FAB chrome nerf bars and an $800 WeatherGuard tool box. Since I could reuse both of those items I suspect they would have offered me even less.
Yep, it sucks if you were one of the first ones in on the 6.7's and paid close to MSRP.

The problem is, the price of the new trucks has gone down about $8-10,000 in the last few months will all the incentive programs and holdover trucks out there.

I know that where I live, it was actually cheaper to buy brand new for a while compared to what the used market was commanding. The used market has since taken a bit of a hit on price, but it's still pretty strong.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Elder User

2001400ex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The two things one must consider. How often you tow and where you tow. Yes for the most part, a 6.2 can tow what the 6.7 can. The 6.7 feels easier. I own a 2008 Duramax now after owning a 2006 Ford 6.0 and a Chevy 6.0 gas engine before that. I only tow a few times a year, but my toy hauler is like a brick wall. It only has a gross of 7,500 pounds, but have a feeling it is closer to 10,000. Every truck that has pulled it struggles.

For me, yes my gas engine pulled it, but I tow accross Montana, Idaho and Washington, with most of my towing at elevation, one strech for about an hour I am over 6,000 feet with the peak over 7,000 feet. The diesel with the turbo loses a lot less power at elevation. Another factor is distance on a tank of fuel. My gas engine would only go 180 miles on a tank while loaded (the worst was the low fuel light on at 120 miles towing into a bad headwind, that was the day I decided I was buying a diesel). Now with the diesel, I go 65-70 rather than 60-65 (the speed limit is 75, so it is safer going a little faster) and I can go 230 miles on a tank. Towing through Montana, that is very important.

I know the 6.2 is more efficient than my 6.0 gas engine, but the point is the same. With me only towing a few times a year, if I lived in the plains or the east coast where the hills are smaller and lower elevation, more gas stations, etc., I would probably save the upfront costs and get the gas engine. Being on the west coast with monster mountains and few gas stations, it is worth the premium.

I have never had an issue with cold starts, even in Montana at below zero and no plug in near by. The only negatives I see with the diesel are the upfront cost (minimized by the trade in at some point), the cost of fuel now (minimized by better fuel mileage), and how long it takes to warm up. If you use the truck a lot for short little trips, don't get the diesel. It won't warm up even by the time you get to your destination and that is a lot harder on the truck.

As far as mainenance, you are looking at new trucks, so there is a little more cost in oil, but that is only every 6 months or so. You have to change the fuel filter about once a year, but that isn't that expensive either. The rest of the maintenance is about the same until you get out of warranty.

Anyways, those are my thoughts.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Freshman User

rangeron is starting off with a positive reputation.
Once you drive a diesel, you will not go back.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Senior User

8iron is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeron View Post
Not true for everyone.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeron View Post
x2.

I've owned two Powerstroke trucks, an '08 and an '11. I'm currently looking for a V10 Excursion, don't care to deal with the diesel issues anymore.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 PM
New User

schrade1010 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I purchased a used v10 cause I needed the payload of a f250. I love the diesel trucks but I really just don't tow enough to justify it and I make alot of short trips around town. I tow dump/ trash trailers from my job sites ocasionally but mostly just needed the ability to haul loads of Sheetrock, tile, brick, or whatever in the bed of my pickup without having to go get a trailer. I used to drive a 1/2 ton chevy but it really was not enough & I tore up the transmission in no time.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:33 AM
Freshman User

bajadiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
You mentioned a F150 with the ecoboost vs the 6.2. Those are apples and oranges. The f250/f350 gas or diesel will be night and day differance in pulling vs the f150 even thogh the ratings are similar. Wait until you have to quickly aviod another car or on a curvy road. Simply thy are a lot more truck. If your not going to tow the big trailer more than a hand full of times each year than the gas will be fine. Going to tow it alot and over long or steep trips the diesel will be better. Its very tough to bite of the added diesel cost if you don't actually need it.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Elder User

Front Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8iron View Post
Not true for everyone.
X3.

I've owned two diesels PS's (7.3 & 6.4). As it stands right now, I wont go back to a diesel PS unless I begin to tow heavy all the time.

Now, car diesels are a different story. I'm just waiting for the right used car at the right price.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Postmaster

PrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to all
The reason I mentioned the F150 Ecoboost is because the only towing needs I currently have are to tow a 3200 lb. boat. The reason for looking at the 6.7 is due to the "possibility" of getting a trailer later down the road. I would also use the truck as a commuter vehicle when I cannot ride the goldwing. I am a die hard biker and ride as much as possible when the weather permits.

The dilemma for me is lets say in a year I end up just buying the F150 Ecoboost, that limits me to a smaller 5er on down the road. (or a hitch mounted trailer)

I have seen some huge trailers being towed by the F150 (toy hauler style) however their weight was less than 10,000 lbs. (hitch mounted)

For the most part currently I take the boat to the lake a lot. I am trying to figure out if it will cost me too much in getting the 6.7 due to my current needs versus a gasser.

I know I am not the only one out there with this dilemma and once again I would like to thank you all for your feedback.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Elder User

Front Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputationFront Runner has a superb reputation
Quote:
The reason I mentioned the F150 Ecoboost is because the only towing needs I currently have are to tow a 3200 lb. boat. The reason for looking at the 6.7 is due to the "possibility" of getting a trailer later down the road. I would also use the truck as a commuter vehicle when I cannot ride the goldwing. I am a die hard biker and ride as much as possible when the weather permits.

The dilemma for me is lets say in a year I end up just buying the F150 Ecoboost, that limits me to a smaller 5er on down the road. (or a hitch mounted trailer)

I have seen some huge trailers being towed by the F150 (toy hauler style) however their weight was less than 10,000 lbs. (hitch mounted)

For the most part currently I take the boat to the lake a lot. I am trying to figure out if it will cost me too much in getting the 6.7 due to my current needs versus a gasser.

I know I am not the only one out there with this dilemma and once again I would like to thank you all for your feedback.
I would say that the gasser (F150 EB, SD 6.2) would be best for what you described. I know that you didnt mention the SD 6.2 but it would allow you to tow a larger camper like the 6.7. The EB F150 engine could pull it but you would be limited by the capabilities of the truck itself. Since you ride your MC alot it would take you a very long time (if ever) to recoup the cost difference of the diesel vs. gas.

If you were towing heavy alot or just simply wanted the diesel, I'd say go for it. These new diesels are impressive and the "fun" factor is there. But understand that this technology is still very new and the long term reliability hasnt been established yet. Dont let that stop you if you really want the diesel though, because we only live once.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 AM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Quote:

Honestly with all this in consideration I would suggest the F150. There are a lot of hidden costs of owning a diesel Super Duty. $80 oil changes, $50 for fuel filters every ~20,000 miles, the premium for diesel fuel, often higher insurance, and certainly higher registration fees. Looks like you're from a state that has higher registration fees than most, have you seen what it costs every year to register a Super Duty?

How far down the road would you be looking at getting a camper?

Of course I'm a bit jaded after being truckless for nearly a year. I tow my 3,500 lb boat with my wife's 2011 Sienna!