6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Engine failure on 2011 PS 6.7 ltr

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bugs49
I am located in Illinois and my dealer is Rick Ridings Ford in Monticello. Mark in service can fill you in. I do travel all over the USA and am just rolling through Amarillo, TX on my way to California. I will post my VIN later when I hit a motel.
Bugs,
Mark is a nice guy to deal with, I have had all of my SD's serviced at Rick Ridings, it's only 3 miles from home. John, their diesel mechanic is a super nice guy, I have picked his brain a few times. I'll bet he worked on your truck, he's damn good at what he does.
You got your bad fuel at Marathon - what location?

-Gavin

Old 02-26-2012, 10:10 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Let's get a VIN number so it can be verified.

No one is disputing failure of a few. It has happened but in less than 1% of vehicles and that includes mis-fueling. The trouble comes when claims are exaggerated.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 500 Likes on 168 Posts
I try to avoid buying diesel in Illinois right now(sorry OP). What I have been hearing is that, and correct me if i'm wrong, is bio-diesel is allowed(mandated?) up to I think twenty percent without being labeled on the pump. Now in the 6.7s that is not a problem per say but one of bio-diesels downfalls is its ability to hold water is much greater than regular diesel which helps it get past the separator. More stringent monitoring of fuel quality is required with bio-diesel but does not appear to be happening. I know at least one manufacter is contemplating dropping its diesel offerings in Illinois due to fuel quality issues and ensuing warrenty claims(Mercedes cars and Sprinter vans) and problems have not been limited to them.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:08 AM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chad149
I try to avoid buying diesel in Illinois right now(sorry OP). What I have been hearing is that, and correct me if i'm wrong, is bio-diesel is allowed(mandated?) up to I think twenty percent without being labeled on the pump. Now in the 6.7s that is not a problem per say but one of bio-diesels downfalls is its ability to hold water is much greater than regular diesel which helps it get past the separator. More stringent monitoring of fuel quality is required with bio-diesel but does not appear to be happening. I know at least one manufacter is contemplating dropping its diesel offerings in Illinois due to fuel quality issues and ensuing warrenty claims(Mercedes cars and Sprinter vans) and problems have not been limited to them.
You are correct, I am in Illinois and all the pumps around me state up to 20% Biodiesel.

It would be interesting to see if the manufacture actually did this. Regardless of what state they sell in someone is likely to drive through Illinois and fuel up, I am not sure what they would gain compared to sales lost.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:15 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
This happened in Illinois. We are with 3 owners of 2011 trucks with the same problem. All fueled at different stations but same results. The other trucks just died, no WIF lights. It may have to do with the bio-diesel mix. Ford just stated no warrantee as the fuel is bad but that is not so. Bad stuf gets by the filters. I heard that there are 100th of cases and my dealer will not order new tricks with this engine/fuel system!
I never fill up in IL. Too much bio.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:22 AM
Thom12
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lexustbs
Customers fault. End of story. Dfcm caught the water, alerted the driver. Highly possible the light warned the driver a third time but chose to drive too far thus causing the pump to suck up water.

Sucks for the customer but if anybody on this forum says ford is at fault for this is either crazy or stupid or a mix of both.

To the OP, actually the filters worked as designed. You just ingested too much water
How much is too much? Couldn't find any facts in the diesel suppliment.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:28 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, I can't seem to find the thread I started asking about the test drive I took and how I was impressed with the engine performance, so I will participate in this discussion hoping to learn about it...

Again,, considering a new truck to replace my 05 Ex and wanted real world results from the user community here.

I see a few camps on this so far:
1) it's not a real person with a real problme,
2) it's not a real problem,
3) it's a fuel system problem
4) it's a fuel supply problem...

Just asking but,
does it really matter WHAT it is when I break down during my yearly vacation ?

In my mind,
if it's a fuel system fault, it's ford fault... can we agree on that ?
if it's a fuel supply problem,
it's can be ford's fault for designing a system that does not have the tolerances built in to operate in the environment it has to live in

When we fill up our gas engines,
do we have to worry when we are paying the premium prices and trusting the gasoline is good ?

Why should we expect anything less for a diesel system ?
Bottom line, I don't have TIME or desire to worry about that - This will be my 4th diesel truck and 5th diesel vehicle and, while always saving the last few fuel receipts, I don't want to have to guess at where the fuel is good !

I'm not trying to argue, just trying to make a decision....
do I throw a little money after my 6.0 Ex that is perfectly capable of towing my TT or do I get the latest and hopefully greatest

Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Bugs49
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Subscribing...

Bugs, I would also suggest that you PM your VIN to John or post it here.

The VIN on the truck in my case is as follows:
REMOVED

Last edited by Tom; 02-27-2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Removed VIN
Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 AM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
is this a job 1 or 2 truck? 7/23/2010?

Old 02-27-2012, 08:33 AM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
ok job 2 started Aug 22, 2010 so you have a job 1

any relation to failures?

Old 02-27-2012, 08:46 AM
rpbf350
Junior User
Customers fault. End of story. Dfcm caught the water, alerted the driver. Highly possible the light warned the driver a third time but chose to drive too far thus causing the pump to suck up water.

Sucks for the customer but if anybody on this forum says ford is at fault for this is either crazy or stupid or a mix of both.

To the OP, actually the filters worked as designed. You just ingested too much water
HOLD ON! Comon FTE members! I for one am getting SICK and tired of the same FEW raming it down "innocent until proven guilty" truck owners that have posted on these threads! The question of why did you wait to post here? bull$#$##@ You may all have all day to watch the forum or be on line in general...but Many of us simply don't or have never heard of FTE! I for one came accross it trying to find out about a question I had on ford products!

lexustbs...You say "Customers fault. End of story." REALLY!??

Can the customer test his fuel while he waits? Can the customer tell the state he/she lives in that biofuel is bad and don't mandate it!?

When you get the WIF.....what do you do? follow the manual. It says to pull over and drain the filter. It DOES NOT SAY PULL OVER, DRAIN FILTER, AND CALL TOW TRUCK!!!!

THESE PEOPLE THAT ARE HAVEING PROBLEMS ARE FOLLOWING WHAT FORD PUTS IN ITS LITERATURE.....AND FORD SAYS "WARRANTY DENIED"

You state "To the OP, actually the filters worked as designed. You just ingested too much water"..............REALLY??????

The system is supposed to STOP the water!!!!!!! NOT just "allert the driver" This is absolutely bull! and as you put it so 4 year old ish....you are "either crazy or stupid or a mix of both." to blam this type of situation on the owner of a truck that costs 60K. If you pay that much for a top of the line piece of equipment that it whole being revolves around one thing....IE the FUEL it NEEDS to even operate..............the owners should have 100% confidence that the systems put in place on that truck are built to the EXTREEME in regards to their robustness!

There simply is no excuse for Ford on this! There is no reason that water in fuel should absolutley DESTROY a system component like this!

So which department of Ford do you work for?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Wow.
This whole HPFP issue is certainly getting emotional.

I'm probably not as smart as most, but I am going to wait until I know the facts. My opinion will change depending on those facts.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 AM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rpbf350
HOLD ON! Comon FTE members! I for one am getting SICK and tired of the same FEW raming it down "innocent until proven guilty" truck owners that have posted on these threads! The question of why did you wait to post here? bull$#$##@ You may all have all day to watch the forum or be on line in general...but Many of us simply don't or have never heard of FTE! I for one came accross it trying to find out about a question I had on ford products!

lexustbs...You say "Customers fault. End of story." REALLY!??

Can the customer test his fuel while he waits? Can the customer tell the state he/she lives in that biofuel is bad and don't mandate it!?

When you get the WIF.....what do you do? follow the manual. It says to pull over and drain the filter. It DOES NOT SAY PULL OVER, DRAIN FILTER, AND CALL TOW TRUCK!!!!

THESE PEOPLE THAT ARE HAVEING PROBLEMS ARE FOLLOWING WHAT FORD PUTS IN ITS LITERATURE.....AND FORD SAYS "WARRANTY DENIED"

You state "To the OP, actually the filters worked as designed. You just ingested too much water"..............REALLY??????

The system is supposed to STOP the water!!!!!!! NOT just "allert the driver" This is absolutely bull! and as you put it so 4 year old ish....you are "either crazy or stupid or a mix of both." to blam this type of situation on the owner of a truck that costs 60K. If you pay that much for a top of the line piece of equipment that it whole being revolves around one thing....IE the FUEL it NEEDS to even operate..............the owners should have 100% confidence that the systems put in place on that truck are built to the EXTREEME in regards to their robustness!

There simply is no excuse for Ford on this! There is no reason that water in fuel should absolutley DESTROY a system component like this!

So which department of Ford do you work for?

I won;t comment on the OP problem till more facts come out, but I will comment on your post.

You are exactly right that the filter and the DFCM stop the water. Which it did because of the WIF light. But what if the water becomes so bad that it fills up the DFCM and overwhelms it? Its going to suck in the water to the pump. The WIF light is not there for some guy that gets a gallon of water in his fuel tank, its for the fuel that might have a drop here or there in it. Then every so often you drain it. If you get the WIF light every 5 miles then you have a huge water problem, then I would suggest a tow truck. But if I get the WIF light, then it never comes on again I would feel ok.

I think people figure since it is a separator that if you put any amount of water in it then it should filter it out. Which is not the case.

Yes, the water in the fuel and the truck not running on water is the customers fault. They chose the place to fuel up at, not Ford. Now, when the customer looks at it then it would be the fueling stations fault.

If the truck was a 150k diesel rig or a $10,000 diesel Kia, the results would be the same. A diesel is not supposes to run with water in the fuel. A gas motor can handle small amounts, hence the reason that a gasser has no water separator.

I don't work for Ford. I'm just a guy that knows how diesel trucks operate and know the difference between when the fault lies on me, and when the fault lies with Ford.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The VIN on the truck in my case is as follows:
REMOVED

Thanks Bugs, helps us help you

One thing pointed out, your dealer soaked you for the repair, I would have a talk with them.

Ford will inspect the pump, if something else caused the failure you would not be liable.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 AM
FishingNut
Elder User
I won;t comment on the OP problem till more facts come out, but I will comment on your post.

You are exactly right that the filter and the DFCM stop the water. Which it did because of the WIF light. But what if the water becomes so bad that it fills up the DFCM and overwhelms it? Its going to suck in the water to the pump. The WIF light is not there for some guy that gets a gallon of water in his fuel tank, its for the fuel that might have a drop here or there in it. Then every so often you drain it. If you get the WIF light every 5 miles then you have a huge water problem, then I would suggest a tow truck. But if I get the WIF light, then it never comes on again I would feel ok.

I think people figure since it is a separator that if you put any amount of water in it then it should filter it out. Which is not the case.

Yes, the water in the fuel and the truck not running on water is the customers fault. They chose the place to fuel up at, not Ford. Now, when the customer looks at it then it would be the fueling stations fault.

If the truck was a 150k diesel rig or a $10,000 diesel Kia, the results would be the same. A diesel is not supposes to run with water in the fuel. A gas motor can handle small amounts, hence the reason that a gasser has no water separator.

I don't work for Ford. I'm just a guy that knows how diesel trucks operate and know the difference between when the fault lies on me, and when the fault lies with Ford.
rpbf350

x2

lexustbs

Quick Reply: Engine failure on 2011 PS 6.7 ltr