6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Need some help on new truck decision

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need some help on new truck decision

Hello all,

I am a long time poster/user on the 99-2003 7.3 forum. this is what I posted over there. I need to hear from the 6.4L guys too.

I am at a crossroads. My awesome 2002 7.3L is beginning to nickel and dime me. I have loved this truck for the last 10 years. I have put soooo much time, money and love into building her up. But over the last year she is begining to show her age a bit. In Dec I had a new solenoid pack and torque converter put in. and tuesday the tranny completely failed. I was on my way to a different shop to help me diagnose a glow plug issue, that I cannot trck down the problem. Needs new shocks, new tires, and paint is cooked black in the AZ sun. 178K miles. On the flip side... its paid off, all kinds of mods (thanks to all the guys here for the ideas and help) I love my truck.

But I am at that point where I need to spend a big chunk of change to get her up and top notch again, or purchase a newer truck. The truck I am looking at is a 1 of three 2008 F450's with low, low, low miles. All pristene condition and reasonably priced. Down side I'll have a payment again, I dont have a whole lot of knowledge of the 6.4L twin turbo. and I have to try and refrain from the mod bug....

Guys help me decide what I should do. The Mrs. supports whichever choice I go with. I am just soooooo torn here

Old 02-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on my own personal experiences I wouldn't hesitate at all on the purchase of a 6.4. Get an Oasis report on them and as much back ground as you can to make an informed decision. Choose the one that's had the least amount of failures and has had the best maintenance done. The 2008's are getting dangerously close to being out of warranty (based on age not miles) so that probably won't be a concern. If that is the case then I would ditch the DPF as soon as you buy it and tune it to the setting you need, even if it's only a stock power level with no regen. Treat the truck good, don't skimp on the maintenance and you'll have a great truck for a LOT of years to come. Good luck with the decision.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:29 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Well, in the interest of getting you fully informed I would suggest you spend a few hours on this forum. The 08-10 has some down sides that you should know about before buying. The biggest issue is the DPF and or it's removal. To get this truck to run well you will have to violate a federal law and depending where you live maybe a state law. Read DPF delete threads. There are a couple failures that are not common but are know problems with the fueling system, maybe 10 to 12k to replace/repair. Read fuel system failures or water in fuel threads. Since these trucks are low mileage you should read white smoke/CAC replace threads. And, radiator leaks threads. Those should all be repaired by now but a low mileage truck may not be. And also the ever present EGR removal or EGR failures.

Once you've read up on that stuff you will be able to make an informed decision. Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Yes I agree. I have been reading all day..... Gotta tell ya honestly. I am praying my 7.3l is gonna be worthwhile to fix and keep. Don't like anything I have read about the 6.4. There is an F150 that is looking more and more inviting if my 7.3l is not gonna pan out. Hate to downsize, but cost, fuel prices and reliability are a must. Living on the lake and having my speed boat slipped next to my houseboat I do not tow nearly as much as I used too. No more 5th wheel. So the need of the diesel is diminishing. But thought a chance to buy the F450 (dream truck of mine) at such good price was a good chance to do so. Now I am beginning to see why the F150 is priced nearly the same as the 450 is sitting next to it....:/

Old 02-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah...there are a few serious downsides to the 6.4 and that is why you see them sitting on the lots with prices like the F-150s.

The new F-150s are really nice and can do a lot of work. Depending on your price, you might be able to swing yourself into a 2011-2012 6.7 if you stay away from the F-450 variant. The 6.7s seem to work much better with their emissions systems than the 6.4 did.

I used to own a 6.4 and its the sole reason why I own a 6.7.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Wish I could afford a brand new truck.... I have enough cash and with my current trade I would only need to finance abt 10-12k for the 08 6.4L. And the F150 next to it is a loaded 07, with factory lift etc. for 2k less and only 20k miles....

Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
My 08 is running great and I've not had a problem of any kind. But, it is not a truck I would want to own if I couldn't take a hard hit in the wallet. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rich and I wouldn't like it but i am prepared to handle it if the sucker blows up on me. But I will keep it because it is a nice truck and with the 4.30 axle I think I could pull my 5er up an oak tree. And with the DPF off the truck runs awesome.