Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Hypermax vs Banks New Turbo Kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:58 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just had a three paragraph rebuttal, and it was pretty good... Unfortunately, I accidently clicked a link, and I lost all of it before I could post... Im not re-typing it.

Robert, you can say what you want, there is a lot of people out there that like to say lots of things, but that doesnt make it right. Im glad you love your hypermax kit, and it sounds to me like you just have a ******** for anything hypermax, and that being the case, there is nothing I can say to bring you into the real world... So be it... So what boost did you get that 250whp at?? Just curious, because Im one of the guys that you cant pull the wool over my eyes on that subject...

To the rest of you, thanks for the good words... Im sure you are all as sick of this drama as I am...

Old 02-27-2013, 01:44 AM
IDI guy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
To the rest of you, thanks for the good words... Im sure you are all as sick of this drama as I am...
Yep.

I am under the impression that more fuel = more RWHP, and you can change the turbo all you want but without the fuel the HP increase would be negligable. I find it hard to belive that the diferent flavors of stock turbos would have one be such leaps and bounds better than another.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 AM
Robert Custer
New User
I got 10 lbs of boost out of my turbo.That is about the most you want to go without having to install heavier duty head bolts and gaskets. Fuel pump was turned up 4 flats. Timing was slightly advanced. 2.5" Downpipe into 4" exhaust. Adding fuel isn't the only way you can get more horespower. Diesels LOVE to breath. The 250 hp wasn't whp,. it was flywheel horsepower. Power to the wheels was probably closer to 210. Still, all I had was my turbo kit and some pump tuning.

You're right, people can say what they want, it doesn't make it true. Same rule applies to you. You made an assessment based on what someone posted here about the pulse turbo spooling capabilities. That was not Hypermax's stance, and I corrected you. Don't knock a turbo kit you know nothing about. I do love my Hypermax kit. Ive dealt with all three. The turbo lag is pretty much the same across the board with a stock setup, be it pulse or WG. I was happy with the timing of the spool, and the way the truck pulled. I don't think Banks or ATS would have been any better.

You're tired of the drama, yet, you want to degrade anything that doesn't fit your taste. You have thousands of dollars wrapped up in your truck, and I'm sure it is a beast, no doubt.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:10 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
you only get 10 lbs boost? my banks non wast gated turbo will push 15 lbs boost all day long.
and it has been doing that for 475,000 miles, so i don't believe the over 10 lbs boost on stock head bolts and gaskets BS.

there is another guy here, Dyoung, that put close to 50,000 miles on his project IDI pushing 30+ lbs boost at 4500rpm before it finally blew the engine.
he also regularly pushed EGT's well past 1400-1500 degrees, and had the timing so far kicked that he would melt the tips off glow plugs. just to see what would happen.
the engine had a ton of miles on it, a bad knock, and he had a spare engine in the garage waiting to go in the truck. so he decided to see what it would take to blow an IDI up.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow.. okay. First 250bhp is more like 185whp, that is only 65 more than stock. Secondly, there are a ton of ATS kits running 200WHP + with the same "tuning" as you. 10psi is not helping it breath very well. While true, diesels do love to breath they NEED fuel to make power. However if you made 250hp on AIR i would be impressed, alas it seems this is not the case. A stock pump is capable of around 85cc, so with a "perfect" setup you would be around 220 whp. In fact there were two guys with stock pumps that made close to that, the guy you insulted with your second post on the board, and Russ. Long story short, they pretty much make what you do at the crank.. to the ground. Oh and russ is using one of them "junk ATS"

Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 AM
IDI guy
Elder User

Reminds me of another Custer I've heard about. Stand your ground Robert.

While "breath" is good, without the fuel it is just blowing hot air.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:10 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
You guys beat me to it... pretty much summed it up.

It takes fuel and air to make power... pretty simple concept...

Only thing I would add to the above, is that "4 flats" is pretty much a maxed out pump, and if your only getting 10psi from a maxed out pump, you proved my point about the turbo kit... Also, how did you get that 250fwhp? You have your engine on an engine dyno?? Or was that just assumption.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:57 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmax even claims a 50% increase in power. So 180*1.5= 270... not only does their kit not perform, but apparently doesnt even live up to their claims.

Not badmouthing Hmax, but clearly your kit is not operating at the level it should, which implies that youre apparently easy to impress.

Have YOU drive an ATS or Banks charged pickup?

Next time you shoot your mouth off, have some proof.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 PM
IDI guy
Elder User
Also, how did you get that 250fwhp? You have your engine on an engine dyno?? Or was that just assumption.

Butt Dyno
$529.95

Just install a great mod like a cold air intake? Electric supercharger? Big Muffler? Magnetic fuel line ionizer? Awesome wing? Are you getting no respect from your friends for your newly found power? As we all know, these are high end and sophisticated modifications. Some may be TOO sophisticated to actually show up on a traditional dyno. So here we have: The Butt Dyno. Simply place it in the seat, and drive fast, weaving in and out of traffic. (On a race course, of course.) Now you can tell your friends with confidence "That oil-saturated air filter gave me 20 horses!"

Butt Dyno

Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
Have YOU drive an ATS or Banks charged pickup?

Next time you shoot your mouth off, have some proof.
Also have you ridden in the NMB2 truck? I have, and trust me there isnt a stock charged IDI that is even close, I dont have proof but I would bet my paycheck on it.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll bet his paycheck on it too!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:42 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
After all that I hate to throw my hat in the ring to say I have a Hypermax dam some people can be *******s for no reason and to bash the best turbo man on here

But any way I love my Hypermax makes my 7.3 run just as my hopped up 400 gas engine did flat out hauls the mail but nothing like Racins truck but Im also running a turbo IP with it turned DOWN Yep its not maxed out its back to just below stock setting but the secondary (Or what ever it does) is turned up 5 turns and I'll push 10PSI wont push it any harder without head studs and its my work truck....Getting to work it more important then laying rubber.

And I still havent put on my inter cooler or changed my exhaust yet still running 2.5" inch my 4"' duels is beggin to be put on one of these days!

But you do have one thing wrong with this

The Idea of a "pulse" causing a turbo to spool up any sooner with the setups our engines have is ridiculous. Not only are the "runner" lengths (back side of the exhaust valve to the turbine wheel) all different from each other, causing an uneven "pulse", but the firing order isnt consistant from side to side... Its complete hogwash, and Hypermax should be embarrassed that they even state such things...
They dont mean one pulse L-R-L-R-L-R etc they mean each side or pulse doesnt intermix until it hits the turbo fan,To keep the turbulence to a minimum...Like one side of a header into the collector,But it is a very nice system easy to work on too...And I can change my GPs with it on.

Just sayin.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:55 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
don't pay it no mind blue.not worth your time or effort.enjoy your hypermax turbo idi.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:53 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kobaltblue
After all that I hate to throw my hat in the ring to say I have a Hypermax dam some people can be *******s for no reason and to bash the best turbo man on here

But any way I love my Hypermax makes my 7.3 run just as my hopped up 400 gas engine did flat out hauls the mail but nothing like Racins truck but Im also running a turbo IP with it turned DOWN Yep its not maxed out its back to just below stock setting but the secondary (Or what ever it does) is turned up 5 turns and I'll push 10PSI wont push it any harder without head studs and its my work truck....Getting to work it more important then laying rubber.

And I still havent put on my inter cooler or changed my exhaust yet still running 2.5" inch my 4"' duels is beggin to be put on one of these days!

But you do have one thing wrong with this

They dont mean one pulse L-R-L-R-L-R etc they mean each side or pulse doesnt intermix until it hits the turbo fan,To keep the turbulence to a minimum...Like one side of a header into the collector,But it is a very nice system easy to work on too...And I can change my GPs with it on.

Just sayin.

Im glad you like your hypermax kit, Just as I am glad Mr. Custer likes his... Nothing wrong with liking something... That wasnt why I commented as I did...

As far as the kit is concerned... Your still not right about it... It still has the same problem I mentioned above... Even with 4 cylinders per bank, the pulses are not even... It does nothing to prevent "turbulance" in the system... Thats a marketing gimmick by H-max to sell kits, plain and simple... And it works, Obviously (I wont go further)... As far as packaging is concerned, I dont disagree, the ATS kit is my favorite kit of all of them, and it has the worst packaging out of all of them... However, out of all the kits, it is the most beneficial when all things are considered... I will say it again... There is a reason ford picked it for their factory turbo setup.

Kobalt... The biggest thing that You and F250 (as well as a lot of other IDI'rs, mainly of the grey'r age) dont get, is you can have a truck that "work(s) it" AND a truck that lays rubber.... Both NMB2 and My trucks are proof of such things... There is nothing our trucks wont do, that yours will, and thats not to sound cocky, its just the reality of the situation.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
don't pay it no mind blue.not worth your time or effort.enjoy your hypermax turbo idi.
Man, that just had to have made you feel great...

Old 03-01-2013, 06:52 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Man, that just had to have made you feel great...
the post you quoted; it wasn't to make me feel anything.
think it out.

Quick Reply: Hypermax vs Banks New Turbo Kits