1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

I think i messed up my 351w

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Micbruff
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dizzy

the only reason i was going to swap the distributor at the moment is because whoever put this motor together had not much experience with wiring. The coil itself has probably an extra 5 foot of wire just wrapped together and zip tied, the coil hangs on one of the valve cover bolts by a little melter bracket thats been fabricated around the coil. The vacuum advance is about to fall off the dizzy. So i just assumed for now i can scratch together 60 bucks and get a cheap hei dizzy until i can afford something better but even an hei would be safer than whats on it right now.when i first got the truck there were coil wires naked the guy didnt tell me about the grounded out and melted my battery cable wire, the starter wire and the solenoid so i had to begin by replacing them . *sihgs* ok sorry about the ranting felas, so the distributor i have is actually better already than putting an hei in? and you said after curving, does that mean adjusting the timing for better performance?

Old 02-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Micbruff
Freshman User
Also i would like to put a cam in it, but im not for sure my mechanic skills are at that level yet. im not sure how hard putting a cam in is actually and wouldnt you have to pull the motor in order to put a cam in it?

Old 02-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
No need to pull the engine to install a cam. But, you will need the radiator, intake manifold, water pump, etc off. Do it when you do the intake.

As for porting, search the forum for D8OE heads and porting and you should find a lengthy, picture-heavy thread of mine on that. I would find it but can't at the moment.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Micbruff
Freshman User
intake

well if al goes well this upcoming week maybe i can round up a bit of money to start investing into parts.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I'm home now and on a real computer so was able to find the link: Porting Heads

I'll warn you that I have a notoriety for being somewhat ..... exhaustive (now that's a good term given the subject!) in my documentation. Some would say I ****-yze everything. No, not "would say", but "did say". So, there may be a bit more there than anyone who is reasonable or bound by a schedule would want.

Anyway, if you run out of things to do or can't get to sleep, that should help.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Analytical?

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis

I'll warn you that I have a notoriety for being somewhat ..... exhaustive (now that's a good term given the subject!) in my documentation. Some would say I ****-yze everything. No, not "would say", but "did say". So, there may be a bit more there than anyone who is reasonable or bound by a schedule would want.

Gary, I think the term I would use is more on the order of **** retentive.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
Gary, I think the term I would use is more on the order of **** retentive.
Bill - Coming from you I'll take that as a compliment.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Micbruff
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis

Its ok i lok forward to reading it all. My dad has always taught me the best way to learn is to learn is to do research, analyze and than do it yourself. And im always eager to learn, i do mechanics , i work on computers, i have been in residential construction for 10 yrs now, working with my dad he has been building houses for 30 years.so i like to learn

oh and everyone y'all can call me michael if ya want

Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Micbruff
Its ok i lok forward to reading it all. My dad has always taught me the best way to learn is to learn is to do research, analyze and than do it yourself. And im always eager to learn, i do mechanics , i work on computers, i have been in residential construction for 10 yrs now, working with my dad he has been building houses for 30 years.so i like to learn

oh and everyone y'all can call me michael if ya want
Good way to learn, Michael. Reading let's you learn from others mistakes and, hopefully, not make the same one yourself.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Micbruff
Freshman User
very true. The mustang i drive right now i bought a year ago with a locked up motor and trans and i bought it pulled the motor trans and pulled my motor out of my other mustang and swapped it into the one i drive now. My mom said it would never run again. i put KYB GR2 shocks and struts on it and changed the tires to 16s. I keep my dad's blazer in shape , ive done alot of maintenance and upkeep on it. I just recently did my sisters 03 sunfire, she hit a 8 point buck at 70 mph and really messed up the front end. i redid it all myself just to help her out and for me to try something new. it turned out good she just needs it painted now and im thinking of trying my hand at that as well