1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

New to me 1960 F600 Cab and Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 03:41 PM
ryadboh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me 1960 F600 Cab and Chassis

After a few failed attempts I hopefully have the right forum section!

My name is Ricky and today I became the 3rd owner of what looks to be pretty much all original F600. I picked it up for a few hundred $$ and would like to get it up and running in its current state(running gear etc) and drive it to work being as I commute about 3 miles to work everyday. It has a long way to go but I plan on keeping it with the patina that it has, any help would be much appreciated! Not sure exactly which motor this is as well.

I am planning on going through the motor to make sure its fine along with anything else in the engine compartment, brakes and transmission. I plan on putting 22.5 tires on here as they are readily available to me for free. Any help with different wheels or how to get 10 lug wheels on would be of great help. The front wheels are the 3 piece or snap together rims and I dont want anything to do with those.

The pictures show where I pulled it out of and I havent done anything besides vacuum the inside, clean out the trash and wash it.

Attached Images           

Last edited by ryadboh; 01-09-2018 at 03:56 PM. Reason: forgot pirctures
Old 01-09-2018, 06:37 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 606 Likes on 544 Posts
Congrats on your new truck. Great pics, I can almost smell it! You have a lot of the originality there.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:24 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks like a great starting point. Welcome and keep us posted on progress.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:13 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
And it's always nice when you score a custom cab.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:57 PM
ryadboh
New User
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
And it's always nice when you score a custom cab.

What makes it a custom cab, I saw it has that script but have no idea what difference it makes.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:53 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 606 Likes on 544 Posts
Well, all the custom cab features have been posted about a million times before. Two tone inside the cab paint job, horn ring and not button, chrome trim around the wind shield, white ***** inside the cab, etc...

Old 01-10-2018, 07:54 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spurredon
Well, all the custom cab features have been posted about a million times before. Two tone inside the cab paint job, horn ring and not button, chrome trim around the wind shield, white ***** inside the cab, etc...
I think all the 59-60 have white *****.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:32 PM
tripleframe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 297 Likes on 207 Posts
First of all, very clean find, you'll be amazed at the interior once the all the dust has been washed off. The 22.5 solid wheel was the standard wheel for f600's back in the day, the multipiece wheel was the heavy duty option. These wheels accept tubeless narrow 8 -22.5 tires, there were thousands of the 6 lug solid wheels made, but are getting harder to find today. U Haul trucks in the 60's and 70's used these wheels exclusively.

Attached Images   
Old 01-15-2018, 08:54 PM
Geno C
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd be doubtful that 11r would fit in the front fenders without rubbing. The 600 fenders are the same as my 500 ones and the 9r is cutting it really close. You might be able to get by with them in the back depending on the spacing of the rims. Stu would be the guy with the info on the wheels needed to clear 11r.

I did what toure you're looking to do; driving a short distance to and from work. I love driving the old girl around town for groceries and lunch and parts runs too. Never really over 5 miles though.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:34 PM
ryadboh
New User
THank you every one for The input! I am going to the yard this weekend and plan on tearing it into it all day Saturday. I am going to run a compression check, change all the fluids, check the brakes, etc. Hopefully the motor has full compression and I can get it running or at least order the new parts to tune it up. I plan on taking some more detailed pictures and will keep updates on here.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:28 PM
unilover6163
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Congrats on your find, and purchase.
Looking forward to your update photos.
Best of luck, Pete

Old 01-21-2018, 09:10 PM
ryadboh
New User
Ok so I worked all day on the truck on Saturday and got quite a bit done. I got everything cleaned out and removed the fenderwells (wouldn't allow the size tire I want to run), gas tank, seat, drive shaft, radiator and cleaned out the cab.
While working on this I had an epiphany like most good projects cause you to do and totally switched gears. I stripped the motor from any connection on the truck as I had a C6 and 460 lined up to swap in and custom mount in the truck as a trade to a guy who wanted my y block and 4 speed original to the truck.

My family has a perfectly good 1995'ish F-350 utility bed truck that we stopped using due to getting a new truck to replace it. It runs on propane which would add a cool twist to it but it has a 5.8L efi 351 Windsor and 5 speed. Dana 70 rear and 8 lug axles all around. After some quick measurements it looks like the cab of the F600 will fit right onto the newer chassis with some slight modifications.

I NEVER plan on hauling or towing anything heavy with this truck so the reduced load capacity is no big deal and I know that there will be fit up problems but I am pretty mechanically inclined and able to fabricate well. I also will never drive it on the highway and the entire goal is to have something so loud your neighbors permanently wear earmuffs outside and it can do a burnout big enough to get the fire trucks rolling!
I will hopefully get some more pictures up soon.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:31 PM
unilover6163
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Any photo updates on your progress, or of your truck in general?
Show us that 1995 as well.
Thank you

Old 02-22-2018, 05:50 PM
ryadboh
New User
Sadly I dont have any updates to post. I am in the middle of moving and getting my garage back together. I think it will be another month before I can get started back on this project. I did start buying supplies and parts for the truck. The donor truck has a 351W with efi paired to a 5 speed manual, I will be converting to carb with cam, exhaust, intake along with a few other things. Hopefully once I get everything moved to the new house I will have all the bits and pieces I need to start and will have them side by side to start the swap. Pictures to come!

Old 03-26-2018, 05:21 PM
ryadboh
New User
Updates!

Ok so this weekend I finally had time to tear into this again and make some progress. I was able to disconnect the cab and chassis and move the cab to my garage. I also got the donor truck up to my house and ready for disassembly. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to remove that cab and move the donor chassis in the garage to start the real progress. I ordered some motor parts and am getting a collection of parts that I need so once I have time this will go smoothly. Making some progress slowly!!

Quick Reply: New to me 1960 F600 Cab and Chassis