1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cadillac steering column wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 AM
ike55
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadillac steering column wiring

I have a tilt/telescoping column from mid 70's cadillac to put into my 55 F100. I have found most of the basic wire codes but there are additional wires coming out that I don't know what they are for or if I even need them. The column has a cruise control button on the end of the blinker **** but no wiper controls or anything else out of the ordinary on the column. Anyone else run into this?

Old 02-24-2012, 01:38 AM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would assume that the wiring would be similiar to a mid-70 GM column too. Might be worth a look to compare. Those diagrams are most likely alot easier to get ahold of. Since it is a GM product, thay should be pretty close.
Does this column have the key in the column too? Column shift? I ask because somtimes GM will have the shift indicator light, Cruise control, and other non-essential accessories on seperate wires/connectors.

Without seeing the column, the wires and connector(s) would be hard to tell for sure.

Only other way would be to find your main power and grounds (if it has one) and hook them up to a battery source and just run through the connector with a test light while running all the switches and functions on the column. Done that a few times over.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 AM
HarleyGyrene
Junior User

Just went through this with a '69 Cadillac column. There is normally two "sets" of wires. On top of the steering column is the ignition bundle, then hanging down somewhere will be the connector bundle for turn signals, hazards, horn, etc.

Are you trying to figure out the ignition portion or the turn signal bundle ?

By the way, after spending days with a meter and test light, I ordered a wiring harness from EZ wiring that came with the correct connectors for both plugs !

Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 AM
HarleyGyrene
Junior User

Originally Posted by ike55
I have a tilt/telescoping column from mid 70's cadillac to put into my 55 F100. I have found most of the basic wire codes but there are additional wires coming out that I don't know what they are for or if I even need them. The column has a cruise control button on the end of the blinker **** but no wiper controls or anything else out of the ordinary on the column. Anyone else run into this?
ike, did you find the info you needed ? Got it for you, if not ?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 PM
ike55
5th Wheeling
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will go through each wire with a meter. The white connector on top has a total of 7 wires coming out and the bottom black connector has a total of 15 wires (2 blue wires are doubled) and there is a small wire ribbon of 3 wires (cruise control?) Jake, if you have the wire identification I could certainly use it. Any additional info will help for sure. Like I said earlier, I have found info that tells me what the basic wires should be for but there are additional wires that I can not find anything to tell me what they go to. The column has the key switch, emerg flashers, blinkers,one cruise button and horn. There is no dimmer switch or additional cruise control functions on the column. I took pictures of the connectors but I do not know how to attach them to this thread.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
.... I took pictures of the connectors but I do not know how to attach them to this thread.
unless u are a paid supporter of FTE, you cannot post pics directly.. you must upload them somewhere (gallery, profile, garage, photobucket.com) and then link to the pictures..

Sam

Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 AM
HarleyGyrene
Junior User

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will go through each wire with a meter. The white connector on top has a total of 7 wires coming out and the bottom black connector has a total of 15 wires (2 blue wires are doubled) and there is a small wire ribbon of 3 wires (cruise control?) Jake, if you have the wire identification I could certainly use it. Any additional info will help for sure. Like I said earlier, I have found info that tells me what the basic wires should be for but there are additional wires that I can not find anything to tell me what they go to. The column has the key switch, emerg flashers, blinkers,one cruise button and horn. There is no dimmer switch or additional cruise control functions on the column. I took pictures of the connectors but I do not know how to attach them to this thread.
Here is bundle from below the column. I will have to go dig up the ignition switch diagram I did. Will post it shortly. The wiring plug will have the corresponding letters on it (the code): use the GM color on the RIGHT

Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
You might be able to find what you need here;
1971 - 1980 Cadillac Wiring Diagrams - The Old Car Manual Project

The Caddy steering column wiring should be fairly standard to other GM cars of the same vintage, especially the big Oldsmobiles. I can take pics of my column if necessary, mines a 1972. I probably won't be able to take them and post them until later in the week though

Bobby

Old 02-28-2012, 07:44 AM
HarleyGyrene
Junior User

Originally Posted by bobbytnm
You might be able to find what you need here;
1971 - 1980 Cadillac Wiring Diagrams - The Old Car Manual Project

The Caddy steering column wiring should be fairly standard to other GM cars of the same vintage, especially the big Oldsmobiles. I can take pics of my column if necessary, mines a 1972. I probably won't be able to take them and post them until later in the week though

Bobby
Nice. Thanks for posting that link !