1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-25-2014, 12:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD Guides
Print Wikipost

F250 Manual 4WD hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM
jfh0jfh
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F250 Manual 4WD hubs?

I'm shopping for a new 4x4 diesel truck and found a decent deal on a 2012 F-250 XT. In comparing it to an XLT, I noticed "Electronic-Shift-On-the-Fly (ESOF, a $185 option"l). Looking closely front axle, I saw old-style manual hubs - you kneel down and turn with your finger, same as my old farm truck.

I thought these hubs had gone away years ago. Do I have get out of the truck and turn from free to lock before I can engage 4WD? If so I'm amazed. Typically I try to stay in 2WD until I need 4WD and then I throw a lever - I can't usually plan when I'm going to need 4WD and get out to turn the hubs ahead of time; and if you're in the middle of a hill ...

I told the salesman I needed ESOF and he wasn't clear about what it did - he thought maybe I could engage 4WD from in the cab without it - but the manual hubs were for 4-low. If so that's fine.

Can anyone explain the relationship between the manual hubs and the cab 4WD lever - or is it just really like the older designs where you do have to plan when you need 4WD and turn the hubs outside?

I read here and elsewhere about it but I'm still not clear. I also saw that Ford folks often want to convert from automatic to locking hubs. Because of problems with Ford auto hubs?

My experience is 3/4- and SRW 1-tons for 20+ years. Dodges lately; GM before that. I've bought these trucks because of the dealer (if a friend hadn't sold his Dodge badge I wouldn't looking at anything else now). For the record: I like all 3 trucks but perhaps favor the Dodge as it's the only one with a stick shift - and my Dodge diesel MPG has been excellent. I've driven friends' GM and ford diesels too - fine vehicles.

An aside: Ford seems to have way more F-350s for sale on the lots that F-250s (in OH). I'd be OK with that - I have a 3500 Dodge SRW now - but the F350s is heavier and pricier than the F250. I don't tow more than 8,000 lbs these days. Any compelling reason to chose an F350?

(Sorry for the long message but really appreciate advice on this).

Old 02-23-2012, 06:35 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Both ESOF and manual 4wd systems have locking hubs with ***** to turn.

With the manual system you will have a lever in the floor and manual locking hubs just like older trucks.

With ESOF, you will have a switch on the dash and the hubs lock automatically, they are engaged by vacuum. However, they still have the **** to lock them manually in case the vacuum lock system fails.

If you look closely at the hubs the manual ones will say "LOCK" and "FREE", and the ESOF hubs will say "AUTO" and "LOCK".

Old 02-23-2012, 06:44 PM
GreenPSD
Junior User
Both the XL and XLT come standard with manual locking hubs. The ESOF is an option as you stated. With the manual hubs you do have to get out and lock them, then use the lever to shift into 4H or 4L. As for the ESOF, the rotary dial electronically activates the transfer case and thru vacuum locks the hubs. There is an override for the automatic hubs because they are prone to failure because of the vaccum deal. I am not familiar with them because I only own the manual hubs. I have three F-250's that have the manual hubs and so does my work truck and I never have an issue with them. Way more reliable. You just have to plan a little ahead of time. Actually I have driven around with the hubs locked. No big deal for short distances, just a little more wear and tear. Ford's owner manual use to say drive with the hubs lock for a mile a month to lubicate things.

Just my thoughts.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:50 PM
jfh0jfh
Freshman User
Thanks kd0axs

OK, so I have to get out of the truck to turn the hubs before I engage 4WD. Am I missing something here? Auto-engagement is old technology. Why in the world would Ford have something like this? I don't mean to cut on Ford but I've had to engage 4WD many times unexpectedly eg. ice on a hill w/ a trailer behind.

Anyway, if I can't get ESOF in a low-end truck it'll keep me from buying a Ford.

Originally Posted by kd0axs
Both ESOF and manual 4wd systems have locking hubs with ***** to turn.

With the manual system you will have a lever in the floor and manual locking hubs just like older trucks.

With ESOF, you will have a switch on the dash and the hubs lock automatically, they are engaged by vacuum. However, they still have the **** to lock them manually in case the vacuum lock system fails.

If you look closely at the hubs the manual ones will say "LOCK" and "FREE", and the ESOF hubs will say "AUTO" and "LOCK".

Old 02-23-2012, 07:05 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty sure you can get ESOF on any trim level.

If the truck you were looking at had ESOF listed on the sticker, then it was equipped with it. If you take a closer look at the hubs, I'm sure they will say "AUTO" and "LOCK".

With ESOF, all you have to do to engage 4wd is flip the switch on the dash and the hubs will lock automatically. You would only have to get out and lock the hubs in case of a malfunction.

Many people actually prefer the manual system because it's more reliable, that's why they still offer both systems. Auto engagement is old technology, but nobody has been able to perfect it yet. Regardless of manufacturer, they all seem to fail when you need your 4wd the most. Ford is the only one to give you a manual backup in case the automatic system fails.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
With the ESOF system all you do is turn the switch from in the cab and you will be in 4wd.(If the system is working properly) The hubs can be locked just in case there is a vacuum leak or problem locking the hubs then you just can manually lock them so your not stuck. The manual 4X4 is just that, get out of truck, lock hubs and shift t-case into 4wd. Once the hubs are locked you can shift the t-case in and out of 4wd as needed. The most reliable setup there is. The ESOF is an option on the lower trim models. My XLT has manual hubs and thats how I like it. The ESOF system is too problematic and the proprietary hubs are too expensive IMO.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:30 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
The hubs on the ESOF system can be rotated to LOCK as a backup, in case the vacuum fails. When they work properly, all you need to do is flip the switch in the cab to engage 4 wheel drive.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:05 AM
jfh0jfh
Freshman User
Manual hubs - thanks all

Thanks much for the prompt and thorough responses. I'm going out now for a final pass through the trucks. This helps.

It took me a bit to get oriented to the system but now I see: GM & Dodge offer "ESOF" only; Ford offers both. I agree: the Ford system with manual override is a benefit. On the older vacuum-activated Jeeps you basically have to bypass the vacuum actuator: on one of mine I have it wired; on another a spring inside.

I was going to say I'd never had a problem with the auto hubs on my newer trucks BUT I remembered: an in-warranty failure (hole rubbed a metal line) on my 99 Dodge; in-warranty failure on my 96 GM; problems w/ my 94 GM; problems w/ a friend's Isuzu Trooper (the old system where you had to back 3 revs up to dis-engage).

Anyway, thanks again, you all have been really helpful. It's odd the salesman wouldn't have explained it as you did but in fairness to him I had 4 truck combos (XL/ XLT, SC/ Crew - with a specific option mix) I wanted him to look at and he spent a lot of time on line trying to find a truck for me.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Boss08v10
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats because the salesman has no clue and most likely drives an f'n prius. NEVER rely on a car salesman for accurate info. Can anyone think of a system in the history of 4x4's where turning the hubs was only for 4low? Yea because we only need the hubs locked for for 4L.

That there is zero knowledge of a product or system.