1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Proud new owner of a 1948 F1

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 03:38 PM
fordf1enthusiast
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proud new owner of a 1948 F1

Hi,
I am new to the forum and the proud new owner of a 1948 Ford F1 pickup. I am not very knowledgeable about auto mechanics but love the old big-fender pickups. I just found one in a barn in Oregon. I have never restored a vehicle before but my instincts told me that this was a good find. I bought it from the original owner's grandson - it has been on their farm since his grandpa bought it in '48(he still had the original bill of sale from the local Ford dealer and log book documenting its mileage). They had put a diesel tank in the bed and used it to fuel his tractors and do the lighter work around the farm. The truck is straight and completely intact. I checked the floors, bed, door bottoms, fenders, etc and there is only minor superficial rust. The best part is the truck only has 27,847 miles on it. The truck has the flathead six motor in it. He told me that it hasn't run since the '70's and here is my question: What is the best start-up procedure I can use to see if it will still run without a major overhaul?
Thanks.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:53 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We don't believe you! We need pictures.

First, welcome. Second, you need to see if the engine will turn over by hand. If it's not stuck, then to fire it, you need spark, fuel and new fluids. The gas tank is probably varnished, so you will either need to clean it out or set up a temporary fuel tank. Fuel lines will need to be cleaned or replaced as well. Clean the carburetor and fuel pump. You may have a few leaks coming from both if the engine starts becasue the seals and gaskets would be deteriorated from non-use. Change out the spark plugs, condensor, points, spark plug wires, coil, etc. (basically a tune-up). I'm sure that it's still likely a 6v positive ground electrical system. Get a good 6v battery. Clean all connections and have good grounds. Replace the batt cables, if needed. Don't use the ones sold at the local auto parts store. They're not thick enough. Get some 1/0 welding cable and make the battery cables out of that. Change out the fluids (coolant, oil) and filter. Once you have done all of that, you can fire it up.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM
HarleyGyrene
Junior User

Congrats on the find ! Look forward to the pictures and build. There are a ton of people on here that can help....

Old 02-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Welcome! 51Panelman pretty much covered it. I hope you got some pics of it sitting as-is in that barn. Not many true barn finds left anymore. And like he said, we don't believe you until we see pictures. If the engine is stuck, just get it home and we'll all help guide you through that process. Not many original trucks out there nowadays it seems.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:17 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE! We love barn finds!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,792 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Welcome to the board! and to the wonderful, insane world of old Ford trucks

Bobby

Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 PM
opkomdalen
Senior User
Glad to hear another 1948 F1 will breath again! Welcome to the forum.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Welcome! What Panelman said!

After you do all that - and hopefully get it fired up - expect to find a few wiring fixes and fluid leaks to address. Most likely, your brakes will need some attention as well.

Good luck and keep us posted!

DW

Old 02-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new baby. Lots of good advice here. You'll have a great time on this site. Yep and pictures are required.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, yet another Monkey Face build! These things are commin outta the woodworks lately! Cool!
Judging by the way you describe the truck's condition, I'm willing to bet you got this thing out of eastern Oregon? My '56 is out of Silverton, OR and wasn't in bad shape at all either. Where are you located at? Definately need to post up some pics! (Truck-**** to most of us!!!) What are your plans for it?

Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 AM
fordtreexr
Freshman User
Welcome to a resource I also just got into by getting a 49 F6. It's way too exciting to have a great truck to work on. What else would we do? watch t.v.? The people here know way too much; its incredable and humbling. Look forward to seeing pictures worthy of a screen saver. ENJOY the truck and forum. I found it real easy to use photobucket and link it. My usual tools are chainsaws, not computers, others may have ideas too.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Sounds like a great truck find> now post up some pictures....

Old 02-25-2012, 08:12 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky. Welcome to FTE, and welcome to the world of fat fenders.

And always remember:
(Just kidding, but we do love pictures)

Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Welcome and congrats on your find. There are alot of barns still around in my area and I'm still waiting to come across that one of a kind hand built experimental project done by Henry himself. I'll keep looking!

I also love to hear about another one of these great trucks being save. Now post up those pics!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:43 AM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Welcome from another Oregonian. Cant wait to see pics of your truck

Quick Reply: Proud new owner of a 1948 F1