Building a new shop from scratch - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Reload this Page >

Building a new shop from scratch

Notices
Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Building a new shop from scratch

Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 AM
FourOneTons
Senior User
FourOneTons is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by fellro86 View Post
...The Craftsman is a 5 hp 60 gallon I think, but it is one of the noisy airless ones.
I think you mean it's one of the noisy oilless ones, although some of those become airless too.

Joe

Old 04-06-2012, 11:45 AM
fellro86
Post Fiend
fellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud of
Yep, caught me on that, it is oilless, still builds up air well though. Might have to put it in a shed of it's own though...

Old 04-06-2012, 05:02 PM
FourOneTons
Senior User
FourOneTons is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yep, caught me on that, it is oilless, still builds up air well though. Might have to put it in a shed of it's own though...
I used to be a proof reader (not that I can proof read my own writing though).

Anyway....the noise. I have a little portable oilless to which I retrofitted a silencer-type air intake filter, and it helped a little with the noise. Might be worth checking into. I got the filter from McMaster-Carr. www.mcmaster.com It's still far noisier than my much larger conventional air compressor, but not as bad as it was with the OEM air intake filter.

Joe

Old 09-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Grubbworm
Postmaster
Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.
So Roger, how did the garage/Shed/Building end up? Do you have some pictures? Just curious to see what you did.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:59 PM
fellro86
Post Fiend
fellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud of
I will have to try to get some up. I know one thing, I mistakenly thought I would be ok with 10' doors, no way ever again... 12' minimum. I like my 16' wide 14 high one though... The 10 will be staying though, way to much to rework them now. They are ok, just a bit tighter than I like for a few things. I can still back my trailer though them, although that won't happen a lot unless I were to get a tilt bed due to the slope on those door approaches.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 PM
fellro86
Post Fiend

Old 10-25-2013, 09:48 PM
fellro86
Post Fiend
It looks a lot more full than it is. Still working at getting the walls finished so I can get shelving put up, and get the office area finished so I can store things up there as well. Most days I have 2-3 rotational work areas available. One is saved for the wife during the winter. The cardboard pile is for when I finally put a wood burner in, it makes for quick heat without wasting good wood for the short duration. If I am there all day, then I would use real wood.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Ford_Six
Super Moderator
Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
Nice. It's amazing how stuff goes in a shop like that, it's like you only put a little stuff in there and it breeds and grows on it's on.
Is there access to the attic area? That can be a good storage space for lightweight stuff.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:17 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
LMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputationLMS Residential has a superb reputation
Nice idea doing the ceiling/walls in the white ribbed steel. Reflective and easy to clean if needed. A few 6 bulb T5 high bay fluorescents would light that up like vegas in there, fixtures a little expensive but real economical to run. Bulbs last forever. I installed about 20 in a dealership service dept 7 years ago and they still havent changed a bulb.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:49 AM
fellro86
Post Fiend
The area above the ceiling has blown in fiberglass insulation, and is only the rafters for space. The walls are 16'. I am running LED lights, which do a pretty good job. I left one line out thinking I might not need it, but when the area is clear, I think I will add it. I left a little loop in the wire to allow for adding more. All of the interior tin is either left over scraps from the outside, or used tin. I was looking at the cleaning and dust angle when going with the tin. It is also easier to put up. The other part is that if for some reason I needed into the wall, it is also easy to take off.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Grubbworm
Postmaster
Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.
That looks nice. I wish I had the room for one like that. I do have a question though. It looks like you poured the concrete flooring after the building went up. I thought you were supposed to pour the concrete floor, foundation, and footings before the walls went up.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:54 PM
fellro86
Post Fiend
It is a pole style, so you can go either way. Some pole buildings never get a floor. It works good for getting a total seal to the base boards. The poles go into tbe ground around 4' or so.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Grubbworm
Postmaster
It is a pole style, so you can go either way. Some pole buildings never get a floor. It works good for getting a total seal to the base boards. The poles go into tbe ground around 4' or so.
They must be treated with something, or I would be afraid of them rotting from water or termites. How long are they supposed to last buried like that?

Old 10-29-2013, 03:57 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
we have pole barns and sheds we built 25 years ago still standing in perfect shape, and on the farm there are a few that were built back in the 40's still in good shape.

we use pressure treated wood tar coated before burying it.

the ones from the 40's used trees that were coated with creosote before burying

Old 10-29-2013, 04:34 PM
fellro86
Post Fiend
These have a 40 year warranty I think, might be longer. Key thing is proper drainage. We have some that are 50+ years old doing just fine. The poles also have gravel packed around them and cement bases buried under them.