Sponsored by:

9" Rear end locked

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Older the better
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9" Rear end locked

Hey guys, thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can give me. I bought a 89 Bronco today. Love it. The guy I bought it from told me the guy before him put in a locker in the rear end, permanently. It is definately locked, "chirps" bad with even moderate turns. It is very irritating. I know it will be great offroad but in the parking lot at work it is annoying. What kind of device would permanently lock the rear end. I've only see the manual or air acutated lockers. How do I fix this? Jack it up, open the front of the case, pull the drive shaft out? Pull the axles out? I called a local shop and they said they want $1000-1200 to fix it. In my opinion it isn't broken, just needs to be unlocked, or open. Did these come with limited slip rear ends? Also, how do I tell the gear ratio? Thanks guys. I'm not scared to tackle it myself if I have detailed idea of how to proceed and what to look for.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:45 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Sounds like they welded the gears inside the casing. Any limited slip would not chirp in turns.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Older the better
New User
So what is the fix for that, put in new gears?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 PM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
If it is permanent, then that means it can't be undone, like AzPete my guess is that he welded it. He might have also dropped in a spool, in wnich case you just have to remove the axles to get the spool out. If it's welded, it depends on the welds but you'll probably have to replace the spiders at the very least.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:15 PM
BASHAM
Junior User
Easiest fix to me would be determine what gear ratio it is...tear through CL and local junkyards for a replacement centersection of same gear ratio then simply pull axles, unbolt driveshaft, unbolt the 9" pig and install "new to you" pig. The 9 inch is nicein regards to not a pita setting ring/pinion lash. Easy diy fix hard to find a 9" though atleast wherr i live

Old 02-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i agree with Basham, your not going to know whats in there until you pull it apart. very easy with the for 9".

the key will be knowing what gear ratio you have in the event you have to purchase another used center section.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Older the better
New User
Thanks for the good info and advice guys. Can anyone suggest how to determine the gear ratio?

Old 02-24-2012, 11:21 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
You're sure it's a 9"? It came with an 8.8" from the factory.

Jack it up, put it in neutral, and count how many driveshaft revolutions it takes to make one wheel revolution. That's your ratio.

It really depends on what kind of locker they put in it, but a good locker won't chirp around corners so I'm with the other guys. He either welded it or put a solid spool in it.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:25 AM
cobrajoe
Junior User
It sounds like you have a Detroit locker. I have one in my 9". The gear ratio will more than likely be on the ring gear. If not you count the revolutions on the driveshaft on one complete tire revolution and then divide it. Be careful if you take the ring gear off if you have a locker. You will need to hold it together with a threaded rod(thru the axle holes) before you pull it apart so that it doesn't "Explode" on you.( it won't litteraly explode but it is under spring pressure, so you don't wan't it to come apart in pieces on you)

Old 02-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Older the better
New User
Thanks for the help. I do believe it is a 9". If I'm correct, the 8.8 cover is facing the rear of the truck and the 9" faces the front of the truck. Mine faces the front. I really do appreciate each of you taking the time to help me with this.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:12 PM
cobrajoe
Junior User
There is no rear cover on a 9".

Old 02-24-2012, 04:44 PM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
easier to work on, harder to inspect.. just think how awesome the 9'' would be if it also had a rear inspection cover?

Old 02-24-2012, 09:54 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
So with the ratio thing would it be 9 revolutions for a 9"? Also does it matter having 35s on there?

Old 02-25-2012, 06:27 AM
cobrajoe
Junior User
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
So with the ratio thing would it be 9 revolutions for a 9"? Also does it matter having 35s on there?
No, the tire size won't matter.

Chock your front wheels and jack up the rear of the vehicle and secure it on jack stands. Place the truck in neutral and turn the rear tire. If the other tire turns in the same direction and the same amount of revs, you have a locker or a real good limited slip. Now make a chalk mark on the tire and after making sure you have all the play out of the driveline, make ONE complete revolution of the tire while counting the amount of times the driveshaft turns. If the shaft turns 3 1/2 times, you have 3:50's, 4.1 revs= 4:11's, etc....

Now, if you turn the tire and the other tire rotates backwards or doesn't turn at all and the driveshaft doesn't rotate, you have an open or weak posi and will have to place one tire on the ground to stop it from turning and rotate the other tire TWO full rotations.The same thing applies, 3 1/2 turns =3:50's, etc..etc...

Old 02-25-2012, 06:46 AM
BASHAM
Junior User
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y9iq...e_gdata_player copy this url and watch 5 minute video this is easist way to find gear ratio..

Quick Reply: 9" Rear end locked