Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need to cap off my hub vacuum lines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Daewoo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do I need to cap off my hub vacuum lines?

I just installed Mile Marker 449SS manual locking hubs and want to know if I need to cap off the vacuum lines and if so, why?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 AM
TXSailor
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still have my "auto" hubs but they leak so I have the equivalent of your situation. Without the vacuum lines being "sealed" when you switch to 4 wheel drive via the ESOF switch on the dash, the system will "see" the vacuum leak and change the AC/Heater to Defrost only for about 2 minutes. It will then "go back" to "normal" (wherever you had it set)./ There's a write-up somewhere on the forum about the exact timing. It's not a big deal but i would think they should be capped from proper operation and top preclude sucking in dirt, etc.

D

Old 02-23-2012, 08:09 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
Yes, put a cap or thread a screw into the line.

Not the best picture here (taken while doing the V swap), but it's not difficult to plug the line. I plugged the other end too (on the hub) to keep dirt out.

Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Daewoo
Senior User
I just capped off the lines and it was much easier than I thought it would be. I will try to post a picture soon.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:49 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Yes, cap the lines to keep the crap out of the system. Don't want to let any dirt into seals and bearings in the hubs.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:31 PM
Ajlowry
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you use to cap the line off?

Old 03-13-2019, 07:14 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Get vacuum caps at the local auto parts store and cap it off in the engine compartment at the solinoid, there is a hard plastic nipple that the caps will fit onto when you disconnect the factory line. Cap the hub side also so contaminates do not get in the assembly.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:30 PM
thor363
Fleet Mechanic

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Get vacuum caps at the local auto parts store and cap it off in the engine compartment at the solinoid, there is a hard plastic nipple that the caps will fit onto when you disconnect the factory line. Cap the hub side also so contaminates do not get in the assembly.
^^^ THIS ^^^
Old lines are also not guaranteed to be leak free. I capped mine at the vacuum reservoir appropriately.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:54 PM
Ajlowry
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you!!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:30 AM
05XCRSN
Senior User
Vacuum res.

I capped mine in the fender well. Where did you cap yours on the vacuum res.? Do you have a photo? I'd like to do it properly. There's a little pump that runs non - stop just next to the res. I don't want to unplug it as I'm not sure i don't need it. Thanks

Old 03-19-2019, 09:06 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 822 Likes on 568 Posts
Originally Posted by 05XCRSN
I capped mine in the fender well. Where did you cap yours on the vacuum res.? Do you have a photo? I'd like to do it properly. There's a little pump that runs non - stop just next to the res. I don't want to unplug it as I'm not sure i don't need it. Thanks
Which direction did you cap the lines in the wheelwells? Hopefully going down to the hubs, otherwise dirt, water, salt and whatever else can get into the hubs and you want to avoid that.
Your vacuum pump needs to remain in service if you want your HVAC system to function correctly, it uses vacuum to operate the blend doors and heater valve when on Max AC. You can cap the vacuum res where it goes out to the vacuum pulse switch mounted to the inside of the front fright fender that used to control the auto hubs, that should seal up your system and allow the vacuum pump to cycle as needed like it should. If it continues to run constantly, you have another leak that needs to be traced and sealed.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:16 AM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Should also cap or get a threaded plug for hub. The dana ball joint set i bought came with the nipples or plugs for the hub assembly. 1/8npt if I remember

i personally removed all the lines as a set of warn premiums were already installed when i bought it. My solenoid is inop (but still plugged in) and i redid the vacuum lines that run to the accumulator to completely delete the solenoid from the system.

I gave no intention to ever find a set of OEM hubs and new solenoid and reactivate the system .

Old 03-21-2019, 10:28 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyboy1100
Should also cap or get a threaded plug for hub. The dana ball joint set i bought came with the nipples or plugs for the hub assembly. 1/8npt if I remember

i personally removed all the lines as a set of warn premiums were already installed when i bought it. My solenoid is inop (but still plugged in) and i redid the vacuum lines that run to the accumulator to completely delete the solenoid from the system.

I gave no intention to ever find a set of OEM hubs and new solenoid and reactivate the system .
It’s an ignorant design on the ESOF anyway. Why the hell would they make it so prone to failure? I can’t believe the dash vents aren’t the fail open instead of the defrost.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:04 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 822 Likes on 568 Posts
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy

It’s an ignorant design on the ESOF anyway. Why the hell would they make it so prone to failure? I can’t believe the dash vents aren’t the fail open instead of the defrost.
Defrost is the fail open to make sure the windshield remains clear, all other vent positions are for passenger comfort, defrost is a safety item.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:54 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Defrost is the fail open to make sure the windshield remains clear, all other vent positions are for passenger comfort, defrost is a safety item.
They should have made a Texas Edition because it gets so hot here the main vents are a safety item! Haha

Quick Reply: Do I need to cap off my hub vacuum lines?