6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

1st Blackstone Oil Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 AM
p8ntballn2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smotrs
Fumoto valve is great for this. Highly recommend. No scalding oil dripping down your arm attempting to get sample past drain plug.
I have one installed on my truck now.. had one on my last one.. and i have them installed on my dads diesel suburban.. and my moms silverado.. they're great!

Old 02-23-2012, 03:29 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
My truck has a three year history of oil dilution. From 2% to 6%. I deleted 6500 miles ago. When I deleted I changed oil and filter. At 5000 miles I changed oil and filter again and got a blackstone report. It was perfect, less than .05 dilution. I can't tell y'all how disappointed I would have been to still have diluted oil.

If the OP had a complete oil change including a new filter then perhaps his short trip driving is causing dilution. However, I drove my 7.3L on many short trips and never experienced dilution. OP, are you sure oil and filter were changed after the deletion?

According to the EPA ULSD will "boil" out of the oil like water will. So even if the OP is driving short trips he must make some trips where the truck works hard, during those times the dilution should at least be lowered. That does not apply if he is using bio. The bio will not boil out. Again that's according to the EPA. So OP, are you using bio-diesel?

It just doesn't make sense to me that enough diesel would seep into the oil of a deleted truck to cause 2% dilution. I'm not hearing from anyone else who has a deleted truck about dilution and I've read most every thread on here for the past three years and on the 7.3 forum for 7 years before that. I get what Sennix says about the top ring expanding, but there are several (I guess) other rings on there, at least one of which should be designed to hold and wipe the seepage. The dilution on these trucks is caused by the DPF technology. According to the EPA all diesels using the exhaust stroke burn technology experience some level of dilution. I don't believe that is a problem for diesels not using DPF technology. How about the 6.0, do they experience dilution? The 7.3 didn't.

If I were the OP I think I would drive through one more oil change and make sure it's a good one and get another blackstone. Of course, what else can he do, walk to work?

Old 02-23-2012, 09:04 PM
p8ntballn2
Senior User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
My truck has a three year history of oil dilution. From 2% to 6%. I deleted 6500 miles ago. When I deleted I changed oil and filter. At 5000 miles I changed oil and filter again and got a blackstone report. It was perfect, less than .05 dilution. I can't tell y'all how disappointed I would have been to still have diluted oil.

If the OP had a complete oil change including a new filter then perhaps his short trip driving is causing dilution. However, I drove my 7.3L on many short trips and never experienced dilution. OP, are you sure oil and filter were changed after the deletion?

According to the EPA ULSD will "boil" out of the oil like water will. So even if the OP is driving short trips he must make some trips where the truck works hard, during those times the dilution should at least be lowered. That does not apply if he is using bio. The bio will not boil out. Again that's according to the EPA. So OP, are you using bio-diesel?

It just doesn't make sense to me that enough diesel would seep into the oil of a deleted truck to cause 2% dilution. I'm not hearing from anyone else who has a deleted truck about dilution and I've read most every thread on here for the past three years and on the 7.3 forum for 7 years before that. I get what Sennix says about the top ring expanding, but there are several (I guess) other rings on there, at least one of which should be designed to hold and wipe the seepage. The dilution on these trucks is caused by the DPF technology. According to the EPA all diesels using the exhaust stroke burn technology experience some level of dilution. I don't believe that is a problem for diesels not using DPF technology. How about the 6.0, do they experience dilution? The 7.3 didn't.

If I were the OP I think I would drive through one more oil change and make sure it's a good one and get another blackstone. Of course, what else can he do, walk to work?
to answer your questions..

i'm not using Bio unless the exxon down the street from my house is using it.. lol

i have never used bio intentionally, i get my fuel from the same 3 fuel stations near my house, unless i'm traveling, then i really dont have a choice.

I'm going to do another 5k change as soon as i'm due for a change.. i have 3K left before my next change, and i'm interested to see what it will be like this time.. i always change the filter when i change my oil.. but you guys aren't going to believe this.. the last time i changed oil, (the one before the report) i started draining my oil in the driveway, then drove down the the local advance auto parts for an OEM motorcraft filter, which they usually always have.. this particular day, they didn't have one.. so i was kinda screwed at this point and had to get my truck back up and running so i put the new oil in and said to myself... " I'll go to the dealer/parts store down the road a bit tomorrow. and because i'm a huge dummy and have the worst short term memory, i forgot to get another oil filter.. so on the last oil/filter change i just did and got the oil analysis done, that could be a factor in the dilution.. cuz when i took the filter out.. it just didn't look right, i looked at it and it looked funny.. and i thought to myself.. "i'm an idiot!!!!!" and remembered i forgot to replace the filter.. so i had 5K on the oil.. 10K on the filter on the oil analysis.. stupid me. i still dont know how that would affect the 3% fuel dilution..

would cycling the fuel pump with the ignition a bunch of times have any effect on fuel seeping past the rings?? i did retune my truck probably 5 or 6 times in that 5k mile period trying different tunes on my LiveWire. just a thought..

Old 02-24-2012, 05:10 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
cycling the key to purge air will not add to fuel dillution. The hpfp is not running at that point.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:39 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Because our trucks and dilution history are so similar I just thought there must be some unusual reason for your report. First thing that came to mind was an incomplete oil change with some diluted oil left in the engine. Absent that, or a lot of bio use I don't have a clue. Sennix is on top of this stuff so if the dilution continues on your next change I guess it's your short trips. It's just very hard for me to imagine 10 ounces of fuel seeping past the rings on any internal combustion engine that isn't worn out. Let us know. I have an oil maintainence program that worked for me when the DPF was still on. If your diluution doesn't clear next change i'll share it with you. Please let us know how you make out.

Attached Images   
Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Buckbuster
Junior User
I'd be glad to share my last 5 oil reprts if someone could tell me how to put it on here.
It just won't let me cut and paste.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:45 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cut and Paste won't work. With images you have to upload them to the Garage on this site or another image sharing site and then post the IMG link using the following icon .

Old 02-24-2012, 04:42 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I run B-5 regularly and my last report from blackstone showed less <.5% in 4900 miles. I really don't buy the bio explanation from that EPA report, I never had more than 1.0% in my 6.0 either.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:12 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by slowmans
I run B-5 regularly and my last report from blackstone showed less <.5% in 4900 miles. I really don't buy the bio explanation from that EPA report, I never had more than 1.0% in my 6.0 either.
Are you deleted. If so, then the EPA report would not apply to you, neither did it apply to the 6.0 or 7.3. The report addressed the impact of oil dilution on DPF technology. The DPF technology causes the dilution. It stated that to some extent the diesel will "boil" out of the hot oil. Bio will not boil out, at least not as well as ULSD. This current thread not withstanding, there should be very little dilution in a non DPF engine. Until convinced otherwise I remain skeptical that 10 ounces (2% dilution +/-) of diesel fuel could seep past the rings and down the cylinder walls of an engine in 5000 miles. If anyone else who has a deleted DPF is still having dilution problems maybe they could chime in here.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:21 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Are you deleted. If so, then the EPA report would not apply to you, neither did it apply to the 6.0 or 7.3. The report addressed the impact of oil dilution on DPF technology. The DPF technology causes the dilution. It stated that to some extent the diesel will "boil" out of the hot oil. Bio will not boil out, at least not as well as ULSD. This current thread not withstanding, there should be very little dilution in a non DPF engine. Until convinced otherwise I remain skeptical that 10 ounces (2% dilution +/-) of diesel fuel could seep past the rings and down the cylinder walls of an engine in 5000 miles. If anyone else who has a deleted DPF is still having dilution problems maybe they could chime in here.
I am, but I haven't always been...still haven't had any issues with high fuel? Maybe its just my engine?

Old 02-24-2012, 05:32 PM
powerskull
Freshman User
It is not the DPF technology it is the way Navistar designed it (to shoot Fuel into the cylinders, then through the valves, then the turbo only to then hit the DPF) and not directly into the DPF with a 9th injector like Duramax did. The explanation for doing it the way Navistar did can only be cost. When Ford designed the 6.7 why in the world would they continue this idiotic approach? even if they get less dilution it still can not be good on any of the components passing raw fuel. I think (hope) it is raw fuel untill it reaches the DPF then ignites?

Old 02-24-2012, 06:38 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by powerskull
It is not the DPF technology it is the way Navistar designed it (to shoot Fuel into the cylinders, then through the valves, then the turbo only to then hit the DPF) and not directly into the DPF with a 9th injector like Duramax did. The explanation for doing it the way Navistar did can only be cost. When Ford designed the 6.7 why in the world would they continue this idiotic approach? even if they get less dilution it still can not be good on any of the components passing raw fuel. I think (hope) it is raw fuel untill it reaches the DPF then ignites?
For what it's worth as I recall it the EPA report (it's posted under my sig on december 15th or so 2010) did not differentiate between the two technologies. In fact it was conducted on a 4 cylinder car. However, comon sense would make me believe that using the 9th injector would greatly reduce dilution. Maybe navistar just took the EPa report as truth IE: the dilution did not harm the motor so why worry about it.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Buckbuster
Junior User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=93827

Last 5 oil reports - 08 F25- PSD 63,000 miles on it - 8,000 on last oil change of which 3,000 were pulling our 9,000 lb 5er the harder you work these trucks the higher the exhaust temps and less regens - resulting in less fuel dilution. Sept warranty is gone and so is the DPF

Old 02-24-2012, 07:19 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Buckbuster

Last 5 oil reports - 08 F25- PSD 63,000 miles on it - 8,000 on last oil change of which 3,000 were pulling our 9,000 lb 5er the harder you work these trucks the higher the exhaust temps and less regens - resulting in less fuel dilution. Sept warranty is gone and so is the DPF
Sorry but my 69 year old eyes couldn't read it. I assume it was good.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:46 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckbuster

Here you go

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 1st Blackstone Oil Analysis