1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

progress on my 56 frame.....Lexus IFS

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
John, you make it look easy and professional. I love it! Ok...like it alot!

Old 07-04-2012, 12:34 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
John, good to see that you put pressure release holes in the shroud. For the benefit of others: the electric fan can actually act as a resistance to the airflow thru the radiator at highway speeds if you use a solid shroud. The release holes must be fairly large. It's a double edged sword, personally I would not use a shroud unless I planned on doing a lot of slow speed driving/idling.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:15 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
John, good to see that you put pressure release holes in the shroud. For the benefit of others: the electric fan can actually act as a resistance to the airflow thru the radiator at highway speeds if you use a solid shroud. The release holes must be fairly large. It's a double edged sword, personally I would not use a shroud unless I planned on doing a lot of slow speed driving/idling.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=97352

Hello Chuck, you have me wondering now if I made a mistake when I built mine. I bought the 4 core rad from Midfifty and have a 16" electric fan. Do you think this will be a problem? I don't mean to highjack lexcoe's thread.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the holes do restrict the airflow i can open up the shroud between the holes so that the shroud then becomes more of a bracket to simply hold the fan in place.
I am building this truck to do plenty of miles, it WILL get driven a lot so i am trying to plan ahead as much as i can and make everything fairly practical.
Body is coming off in the next few days.
I dont know so much about the easy and professional, i just like to do things my own way i guess. I must admit i am something of a *dare to be different* type and like a challenge, and i am always trying to increase my skill level. Sometimes i win, sometimes i dont.

John

Old 07-04-2012, 07:48 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 56panelford
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=97352

Hello Chuck, you have me wondering now if I made a mistake when I built mine. I bought the 4 core rad from Midfifty and have a 16" electric fan. Do you think this will be a problem? I don't mean to highjack lexcoe's thread.
Does the shroud fit tight to the fan? It might not be a problem for you in the great white north , but if you notice the coolant temp increasing on high speed summer drives, you might try removing the shroud and see if it makes a difference. Also be sure you have the upper radiator panel to hood seal and lower valance to radiator seal in place so the air doesn't just bypass the radiator all together. It will take the path of least resistance, and if that's around the radiator rather than thru it you won't get proper cooling. People leave those seals out, especially on flip front ends, then wonder why the engine overheats.

Nice engine by the way!

I'm not using a shroud, but if I did I'd probably put large openings in it with rubber "dog door" one way flaps over them.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:51 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by lexcoe
If the holes do restrict the airflow i can open up the shroud between the holes so that the shroud then becomes more of a bracket to simply hold the fan in place.
I am building this truck to do plenty of miles, it WILL get driven a lot so i am trying to plan ahead as much as i can and make everything fairly practical.
Body is coming off in the next few days.
I dont know so much about the easy and professional, i just like to do things my own way i guess. I must admit i am something of a *dare to be different* type and like a challenge, and i am always trying to increase my skill level. Sometimes i win, sometimes i dont.

John
Looks like you're on the winning side John

Old 07-04-2012, 07:58 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by AXracer
Does the shroud fit tight to the fan? It might not be a problem for you in the great white north , but if you notice the coolant temp increasing on high speed summer drives, you might try removing the shroud and see if it makes a difference. Also be sure you have the upper radiator panel to hood seal and lower valance to radiator seal in place so the air doesn't just bypass the radiator all together. It will take the path of least resistance, and if that's around the radiator rather than thru it you won't get proper cooling. People leave those seals out, especially on flip front ends, then wonder why the engine overheats.

Nice engine by the way!
It likely won't be until next summer before I get the chance to drive it at the earliest, things unpanel related keep popping up. The fan is tight to the shroud and is 1" from the rad itself, I do have all the rubber seals to close things up as well.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:31 AM
lexcoe
Elder User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=104941
Well its FINALLY happened, i actually have the frame out from under. Let the games begin, LOL. John

Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 AM
lexcoe
Elder User
Old 07-20-2012, 09:56 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Cool! That's the first time I've seen the whole panel gas tank, I've only seen mine from the bottom. Was there any surprises or difficulties pulling the body?

Old 07-20-2012, 06:32 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
Just you usual, making sure everything is undone and then supporting the body while i lowered the frame from under it and....hey presto its out.
I was surprised just how big the tank looks once i got a proper look at it, its long.
Now i have a lot of work ahead of me as i intend to get the entire frame done before it goes back under, suspension front and rear, brake and fuel lines, exhaust system, tailshaft etc etc. John

Old 07-21-2012, 12:07 AM
stormy69
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck John, you had me ready to run the lexus stuff but i just picked up c4 front and rear vette parts for about $300 us. that will be the reason for my direction change

Old 07-21-2012, 04:41 AM
lexcoe
Elder User
Man, $300, geez i would too for that price. Keep us updated as you progress, should be interesting. John

Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 PM
elser2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great, i cant wait to see the progress. I have missed out on a couple sc400's due to my work schedule, seems like there has been a rise in demand for them recently as soon as one goes up for sale its gone. At this height on the front it appears that the ball joints are maxed out anglewise so i might have to step my frame a little to get the regular ride height i would like

Old 07-23-2012, 05:26 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
The balljoints look wierd but the angle is actually built in like that, just looks strange. my lower control arms are horizontal at ride height. Good luck with your search, one will pop up at the right price i am sure. cheers John

Quick Reply: progress on my 56 frame.....Lexus IFS