Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford 460 EGR legel unplug, Increases mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:19 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow, just read through this whole thread. Gave some reps, then realized how old it was. Still it was a good debate and I'm glad I got to read it. It did give me some laughs.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:37 AM
Scott Ferguson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy is it piled high

This thread is old, but I just couldn't look away from all of the stupidity... let's ignore experiments in real world conditions that will be subjective due to influences that cannot be accounted for.

An engine gains efficiency (we're talking fuel economy here... or the amount of work produced per unit of energy costumed) by reducing waste energy. In an ideal engine, there is no fiction, meaning all energy consumed is converted into work... real life doesn't work that way.

In a real engine, efficiency is lost through friction, through heat, through constriction of the intake, through constriction of the exhaust, through generating the power necessary to keep the battery charged and run the spark and numerous other factors that are difficult to calculate.

The EGR discussed so thoroughly here, reintroduces exhaust air into the air supply of an engine... reducing effective combustion space within the engine, but increasing the amount of work needing to be done by the engine by moving this waste air around and recompressing it. In real world conditions, I cannot say what effect would be caused by removing this recirculation, but it could, theoretically, reduce waste energy expenditures within the engine. The cleaner theoretical burn (higher concentration of combustible material and less waste material simply being moved through the engine as dead weight) of the resulting air mixture would also increase net power output per unit of fuel, especially at lower revs (depending largely upon gear ratios and transmission). At highway cruising speeds, it would then take less gross power generation to keep the truck at cruising speed (due to reduced waste energy), resulting in better fuel economy.

The individuals on here so concerned about emissions (why are you on a thread about 460 cubic inch engines?) are either really drinking the koolaid or lying... adding weight and effort to any process (smog controls to internal combustion engines) reduces the efficiency of that process by increasing gross power requirements for the same net power... these reductions have often been offset by other gains (better computer control and sensors, better transmissions, weight reduction elsewhere, better aerodynamics, etc) and, many times, they are so small as to be unnoticed in real world applications, but they are there, nonetheless. Anyone who argues otherwise... can be rich at any time by explaining how their perpetual motion machine works, we'd all love to buy one.

Honestly, I don't know, nor do I care if the original poster got 0.5 miles to the gallon increase from this experiment, most of the responses to him (I presume) were extremely rude and uncalled for while also displaying extreme arrogance coupled with an unwillingness to read and comprehend the individual's posts.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:38 PM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Just my $0.02 USD worth

Yeah, it was an old post that truly showed the OP's ignorance in the matter.

EGR is used for one(!) thing only; to reduce NOX emissions. It does that by introducing a relatively inert gas (exhaust gas) into the combustion chamber to displace some of the air/fuel mix. This lowers the combustion chamber temperature to a level below the temps that NOX forms at.

The EGR system is only active while you are cruising down the road at a steady, low load state. When you put your foot into it to accelerate or pull a hill, the EGR valve closes, allowing you to make full power. EGR is also closed at idle and just off-idle for driveability.

Also, I live in the SF Bay Area so all of my smog equipment must stay intact and functioning to pass the EPA mandated inspections. To delete or render inoperative any system means a fail at the test station for me. I do like clean air, too. I remember the '70's and our very dirty air in the bay area that would have been a "Spare The Air" day today.

I will be leaving here when I retire because it's too expensive to live here. Where I'm going doesn't require a smog check but I'll just leave the stuff on. You can never tell when smog testing might become nation-wide and there will be a demand for OBS trucks that will pass smog.

If you want to take your smog equipment off, be my guest because I"m not going to tell you not to. I do recommend not throwing it out, though. You might need it some day. By the way, an air pump takes about a sixth of a horsepower to turn and that EGR valve with its attendant solenoids can't use more than one-half amp to operate. Not much gains to be had by deleting those items, if you ask me.

Just my $0.02 USD worth. YMMV. You don't have to agree with me.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Jack Manes
New User
New to the sight I have a 95 5.0 f 150 put new egr on engine is it suppose to have vacuum with engine running when you remove green line from egr?

Old 03-12-2017, 07:38 PM
OldGoldie
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jack Manes
New to the sight I have a 95 5.0 f 150 put new egr on engine is it suppose to have vacuum with engine running when you remove green line from egr?
only when the engine is higher RPMs when warm, so no you won't/shouldn't see it at idle.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:47 PM
Joe F
New User
I have no clue about any of this and is y I'm asking in this thread

Originally Posted by kjgibson2
Exhaust gas temps coming out of a combustion chamber are hotter than the incoming air, hence why diesel equipped with EGR have EGR coolers, because its such a high amount of heat it will actually melt a piston, NOx is what comes out of a diesel, I attend UNOH in Lima, and I just went through a class explaning all of this if you would like to see my notes? Think about it, how could your exhaust gases coming out of the head be cooler than the fresh air coming from your air box? These trucks are not equipped with an EGR cooler and therefore the exhaust gas temps are not used to cool the cylinder in a gasser.
I'm in the process of putting aluminum pro comp heads on my 95 F350 7.5 460
And I want to put new headers on I'm wondering if I can still hook up EGR and any other thing that are run off the stock manifold with any basic headers or do I need special headers if so any suggestions.
i don't go through emissions when getting stickerd but I also don't want any lights in my dash on ???
Any help would be appreciated

Old 10-29-2017, 04:15 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Omg let this stupid thread lay dormant. Stupidity on both sides of this argument is rampant, and it's way too long to salvage. Start another thread.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:21 PM
Joe F
New User
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
Omg let this stupid thread lay dormant. Stupidity on both sides of this argument is rampant, and it's way too long to salvage. Start another thread.
it doesn't sound so stupid to me, i usually get the best info outta opposing views, it seems there are a lot of informed people on this thread that think they have the advice I need!!
i gathered info outta this thread and feel I'm more informed on the predicament I find myself in, so before you call it stupid just think of the stupid people that found knowledge in your stupidity !!!

Old 10-29-2017, 05:36 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Uhhhhhh........

Old 10-29-2017, 08:16 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe F
I'm in the process of putting aluminum pro comp heads on my 95 F350 7.5 460
And I want to put new headers on I'm wondering if I can still hook up EGR and any other thing that are run off the stock manifold with any basic headers or do I need special headers if so any suggestions.
i don't go through emissions when getting stickerd but I also don't want any lights in my dash on ???
Any help would be appreciated
You can't even run the stock EFI intake manifold with aftermarket 460 heads, so I think the EGR is the least of your problems?

Old 10-29-2017, 09:10 PM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

...unfriggin' believable...

Old 10-29-2017, 09:23 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
I just read through it again... what a great thread.
Still true 5+ years later. The anti-EPA-reg folks never stop jabbering.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:22 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,344 Likes on 1,104 Posts
As this is off the rails it`s time to close it.