Is this a coolant leak??? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Is this a coolant leak???

Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 AM
StanleyZ
Postmaster
StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
Is this a coolant leak???

Y'all think this is a leaking cap? Is it then a bad cap? Very very slow leak, 4 ounces to get back to top of cold fill after 3000 miles. There are no other signs of leak. Truck does not get hot (oil or coolant) as monitored by an Edge tuner. No signs of wet spots or splatter anywhere else. No smoke from tail pipe unless I stand on it and that smoke is black as soot. No coolant smell and no signs of leak on fairly new concrete drive. No coolant in last (1000 miles ago) blackstone report. What is everybody's best guess?

Attached Images   
Old 02-20-2012, 10:48 AM
2010F350
Senior User
2010F350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Could be pressuring up..

Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 AM
ABF PSD
Freshman User
ABF PSD is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would say one of two things are happening. Either the cap is faulty and is opening too early releasing coolant, or you have a more severe problem of your coolant heating up (but not enough to show it running hot), possibly a Tstat, head gasket or EGR. I would have the cap pressure tested and if it is ok then I would take it in and have it checked out before you have a major malfunction. If you still have the old degas bottle with the extra port, you can hook a hose to that with a pressure gauge running into your cab. Drive it and watch the pressure. If it goes up under WOT going up a hill your head gasket is gone (it will go pretty high). If they gauge goes higher than the rated cap PSI then there is a problem that I would recommend getting addressed ASAP.

Hope my 2 cents help.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 AM
StanleyZ
Postmaster
StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ABF PSD View Post
I would say one of two things are happening. Either the cap is faulty and is opening too early releasing coolant, or you have a more severe problem of your coolant heating up (but not enough to show it running hot), possibly a Tstat, head gasket or EGR. I would have the cap pressure tested and if it is ok then I would take it in and have it checked out before you have a major malfunction. If you still have the old degas bottle with the extra port, you can hook a hose to that with a pressure gauge running into your cab. Drive it and watch the pressure. If it goes up under WOT going up a hill your head gasket is gone (it will go pretty high). If they gauge goes higher than the rated cap PSI then there is a problem that I would recommend getting addressed ASAP.

Hope my 2 cents help.
Helps a lot, thanks. This is the only degas bottle I've had, there is an unused access on it above the cold fill. It's blocked off with a rubber boot. Are you suggesting I remove the boot and connect a hose to that access and check the pressure while driving? What kind of pressure gauge are we talking here, the rubber boot on the nipple looks to be 3/4 inch ID or so. I guess i could step that down to fit a pressure gauge. I'm pretty sure my cap says 16 PSI, that don't seem like much for that big cooling system. Why do I have visions of scalding my butt with coolant while I try this?. thanks

Old 02-20-2012, 01:38 PM
ABF PSD
Freshman User
Here is a video that I found that should help. But yes you hook it up to that spare nipple on your degas bottle.
2007 Ford F250 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel Head Gasket Leak Test - YouTube

Most of the videos are for a 6.0, but the same principles apply.

Also here is a link to powerstroke help. A lot of good info on his website, plus it looks like you can rent the gauge from him for free. Just pay the deposit. EDASŪ - Pressure Checking The Powerstroke Cooling System

And here is another video of the test being done. This one is better than the first. HEAD GASKET TEST for 6.0 POWERSTROKE - YouTube

Good luck.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:11 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
change the cap, 11 bucks. I had the same thing awhile back. Sand the top of the degas bottle very lightly before you put the new cap on. New cap is a bit better design.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:30 PM
StanleyZ
Postmaster
Hey guys thanks a lot. This is a great forum. I have reviewed my log and I had an incident in october where I over filled the degas due to a low coolant condition caused by cold temps. (Yeah, I knew cold would lower the level but forgot). I have no record of ever re-adjusting the coolant level. I'm thinking (hoping) that the spatter was caused as the cap allowed the over filled condition to correct and that I just didn't notice the spatter until today. I've cleaned the degas and cap and I have a trip to miami and back wedensday (250 miles round trip). I'll put my foot in it a bit and check it at the end of each leg. If it spits on the way over I'll get a new cap over there and try that on the way back. If there is no splatter I'll pop open a cold diet coke and pretend it's a beer and celebrate. Either way I'll close this out.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 PM
ABF PSD
Freshman User
I hope it is that simple. I hate seeing anyone having to pay a lot to fix these 6.4s. Let us know how it goes.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 PM
StanleyZ
Postmaster
UP DATE Drove to Miami and on to Key Largo and back today, 300 or so miles. Hit 80 MPH a couple times which is pretty wound up with my 4.30 rear axle. Outside temperture was 80 degrees. Checked the coolant 4 or 5 times with no sign of any puking. Coolant had expanded to almost fill the degas bottle. So.. for now I'm thinking the problem was me. Not the first time that's happened. I'll check it next week when I tow back to ATL, but I think everything is OK. Not perfect though as I still think I may have a very very small coolant leak. EGR, I'm guessing.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:14 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend
cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by ABF PSD View Post
Here is a video that I found that should help. But yes you hook it up to that spare nipple on your degas bottle.
2007 Ford F250 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel Head Gasket Leak Test - YouTube

Most of the videos are for a 6.0, but the same principles apply.

Also here is a link to powerstroke help. A lot of good info on his website, plus it looks like you can rent the gauge from him for free. Just pay the deposit. EDASŪ - Pressure Checking The Powerstroke Cooling System

And here is another video of the test being done. This one is better than the first. HEAD GASKET TEST for 6.0 POWERSTROKE - YouTube

Good luck.
this guy is so clueless its not even funny. IMO anyway

Old 02-26-2012, 11:01 PM
ABF PSD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
this guy is so clueless its not even funny. IMO anyway
He might be. I don't endorse him what so ever. Doesn't hurt to try to share what we have learned by trial and error and share some shade-tree maintenance techniques.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:43 AM
cpnhgnjnky
Elder User
cpnhgnjnky is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had an issue with my 08 where the O ring was bad and would let a little seep out onto the ground after it cooled down. I smelled anti freeze but could never find any. To it to the dealer told them my problem. Apparently this is pretty common in Tx where most days are over 100. Anyhow I got a new radiator and a complete flush and lube change for free from it.