Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Wierd Aerostar I picked up

Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Econoline 150
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wierd Aerostar I picked up

I went to an auction not long ago and bought a new van, found a good condition Aerostar with a 3.0 V6 and a 5 speed manual in a passenger van. I heard they put them in Aerostars, but mainly the cargo models, never thought I'd see one in a well optioned passenger van.
Can't complain about 23 mpg !! And , it's pretty peppy (for a van)

Im guess its the not so good Mazda 5 speed, but Im happy with it. I need a van for the grandkids, and with gas prices never going back cheap it's much more affordable to me when I go out "junkin"

Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford spec'd these to use Mercon ATF

change the tranny fluid often, every 20k>30k miles with a full synthetic Mercon rated ATF such as Amsoil or Redline and it will live forever. these are hard on the light lube spec'd ATF.

low cost change, just 3 qts of ATF.

the 3L can easily last 300k miles.

wife will get tired of looking at it setting in driveway before it ever wears out.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:21 AM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I have a line on a 90 shorty with a manual trans. For parts..

Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 AM
zoldaar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Bill ,
Just wanted to give ya a heads up - I got a 87 XLT 3.0L 5sp, mine has an earlier tranny (TK5 i think) and uses (normal) gear oil instead of ATF. I think they only used them a couple years. Didn't see a year for yours but if it's an early model like mine you might want to id the tranny before changing fluids.

Good luck with it - (love my 5sp)

Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 PM
taurus8
Senior User
Probably a special-order. I know my Aero was a special order - has an unusual 3 tone color scheme and has lots of the XLT stuff in it, but is an XL because the buyer wanted to option it out to be as light as possible for trailer towing.

I know this because after mine turned 100,000kms in '97 when they were discontinuing them, he ordered one exactly the same and sold mine to the lady who I bought it off of...

Old 04-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Econoline 150
Elder User
Thanks, I have not been on here in a while, but I'm happy to report Im very happy with the van and the fuel economy is very reasonable for a passenger van.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 PM
waterbear
Senior User
Originally Posted by Econoline 150
Im very happy with the van and the fuel economy is very reasonable for a passenger van.
Yeah, 23mpg is very encouraging! I'm keen on saving fuel, while on the Freeway i use to stay in line between large Trucks to use their slipstream. With an average speed around 60mph (european Trucks are technically limited to 60mph) i usualy get 25 to 26mpg with my 97' Vulcan XLT or 530miles with one full tank. Reduced weight - all Benches out, even the Sparetire, just left the two Frontseats in and my 143pounds of course.
Tinny 205 Tires, proper Engine Adjustments and so on.. making an unbeliveable economic longdistance-Runner out of this great Van!

Many Econolines 150 for sale in Germany at the Mo, 4,7L V8 Triton engined, wonder how the Fuel consumption accounts on those?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good to hear, buy just for those who might be comparing, the European gallon is often the imperial gallon, which is slightly more than a US gallon, so it is expected that you can get slightly higher MPGs from imperial gallons than US gallons. The difference is not huge, just pointing this out, when comparing things across the pond, little differences can make a difference.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:51 AM
waterbear
Senior User
Thanks for clarification Khan. I use the following Site to convert:

Worldwide Wholesale Distribution of Valves, Fittings, Tubing & Flanges: World Wide Metric

There 1 Gallon results to 3.785 Liters, is that u.s. measurement?

Regards

Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM
asavage
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Bear, yes, 1 Gallon results to 3.785 Liters is comparing to a US Gallon, not Imperial (as used in Canada, for example).

My '89 3.0l shorty with 4.10 diff would average 20-21 MPG, get 23 on the highway, and I saw a high of 25 MPG only once. That was an XLT with all options except dual A/C (was it even offered in '89?). Other than heater cores and A4LD transmissions, it was a very durable rig, and I towed a lot of stuff behind that van.

Bill, changing the fluids -- all of them -- is the best thing you can do to keep it running cheaply. I'm a big fan of quality synthetics, including grease. I generally buy AMSOil, but Redline & others are also very good. Unfortunately, the term "synthetic" is very nebulous when it comes to engine and lube oils, so do your homework if you're truly interested in that aspect -- one reason I stick with AMSOil.

Diff & brake fluid are the fluids that get overlooked the most.

The engine coolant is the one fluid that changing often, in an Aerostar, will save you the most money. Take a look at the weeping core plugs on the back of my '89 in 1999:

(click on image for larger)

I bought that van in '99, and fought cooling system leaks for years. The radiator & heater core were relatively easy to replace, but I had core plug leaks for the next 100k miles, one at a time. I had to pull the trans to replace those rear one, of course, and at the time I had to do that on the street in front of my house.

So, change the coolant! Early & often, no more than every two years for silicate-containing (green) coolants.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:36 PM
waterbear
Senior User
Originally Posted by asavage
So, change the coolant! Early & often, no more than every two years for silicate-containing (green) coolants.
Yes, thanks for reminding me ! It's getting warmer now every day here around. I do use non silicate coolant fluid from my FORD Dealer.

Federal Inspection is overdue, i'm waiting for exhaust Parts delivery from the U.S., all swiss-cheese. I have several minor Leaks. Probably main Seal, Oil Pan Gasket. Coolant-Leaks as well, somewhere behind the A/C, i discovered white Patina along the Headgasket at driver Side. Except the Headgasket, the other coolant Leak came-up two years ago after i did a major drain, flush and refill. Same for Oil, Leaks came up after first Oil&Filter-change.
This Aero* has a bad Maintenance History. Lots of Crudes, Resiudes, Debris must have settled down into Groves and Seals for Years. All washed away, Exits for expensive Fluids now.. - continuous Interchange guaranteed this way
For Inspection only clean-up and steam-clean i've planned, should hold for one Day. As long my * gets the certificate for another two years im happy and encouraged to get things fixed seriously - means Engine overhaul, something for summer Vacation.

Have a good Time!

97' XLT RWD 3.0L Vulcan, 108330miles

Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Econoline 150
Elder User
Originally Posted by waterbear
Yeah, 23mpg is very encouraging! I'm keen on saving fuel, while on the Freeway i use to stay in line between large Trucks to use their slipstream. With an average speed around 60mph (european Trucks are technically limited to 60mph) i usualy get 25 to 26mpg with my 97' Vulcan XLT or 530miles with one full tank. Reduced weight - all Benches out, even the Sparetire, just left the two Frontseats in and my 143pounds of course.
Tinny 205 Tires, proper Engine Adjustments and so on.. making an unbeliveable economic longdistance-Runner out of this great Van!

Many Econolines 150 for sale in Germany at the Mo, 4,7L V8 Triton engined, wonder how the Fuel consumption accounts on those?
My old Econoline broke 20 mpg on occasion with a 300 six cylinder. But, that was on a level surface driving like the old fart I am.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 PM
waterbear
Senior User
My old Econoline broke 20 mpg on occasion with a 300 six cylinder. But, that was on a level surface driving like the old fart I am.
okay, thank you for the estimate ..i don't realy want to go with an engine bigger than 3L. My objective is low RPM in last gear, something that i miss on the 3L Vulcan together with the 4R44E Transmission. Everything with <2000 RPM @65mph is preferable, as for example the value from my previous 3.3L Dodge Caravan. To get a still lower RPM at low end, i would have to go with a larger FORD Engine, right?

regards

Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Econoline 150
Elder User
Originally Posted by waterbear
okay, thank you for the estimate ..i don't realy want to go with an engine bigger than 3L. My objective is low RPM in last gear, something that i miss on the 3L Vulcan together with the 4R44E Transmission. Everything with <2000 RPM @65mph is preferable, as for example the value from my previous 3.3L Dodge Caravan. To get a still lower RPM at low end, i would have to go with a larger FORD Engine, right?

regards
I'm really happy with my 3.0 but I have a stick and it's more fun to drive, despite being old I enjoy driving a straight shift. The Chrysler 3.3 is an especially fine engine. The 3.0 V6 Mitsubishi in Chryslers is a pain for changing waterpumps and has some issues, but in a full size van a 300 is a good choice if you are not in a hurry.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:11 PM
waterbear
Senior User
I'm really happy with my 3.0 but I have a stick and it's more fun to drive, despite being old I enjoy driving a straight shift. The Chrysler 3.3 is an especially fine engine. The 3.0 V6 Mitsubishi in Chryslers is a pain for changing waterpumps and has some issues, but in a full size van a 300 is a good choice if you are not in a hurry.
Driving an Aero* with manual gears must be kind of fun ..so far i'm amazed about the fuel economy from my 3L Vulcan, last but not least, less hurry means less brake wear.

have a good time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wierd Aerostar I picked up