Maine Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:

input on commercial vs. passenger registration

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:49 AM
rs4-380
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
input on commercial vs. passenger registration

The way, I read it, if I want to follow the letter of the law and pull a ~3000# horse trailer, with at least 1500# of horse in it in my 6500# curb weight F350SRW I need a commercial registration.

Question is, considering that opens me up to (I assume) having to go through weigh stations, commercial vehicle inspections, and who knows what else, how necessary is it? How enforced is it?

Also, does anyone know how approximately how much more I would be paying on a yearly basis to follow the letter of the law versus registering it passenger?

Old 02-19-2012, 11:11 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
right.in the state of Maine a newer law passed (like in '08 i think it was)

When do I need a commercial plate?

You need a commercial (or farm, if you qualify) registration plate if your vehicle is a truck, and the gross vehicle weight will exceed 6,000 pounds. A truck is defined as a motor vehicle designed primarily to carry property. A truck also may draw trailers and semi-trailers. Gross vehicle weight (GVW) means the maximum weight of the truck and any load to be carried. If the truck is hauling a trailer, you need a commercial (or farm) plate if the combined gross weight of the truck, trailer and load exceeds 8,000 pounds.

A pick-up truck may have either a passenger or commercial (or farm) plate if the gross weight is 6,000 pounds or less; or the combined weight of truck and any trailer is 8,000 pounds or less.

Automobiles including passenger vans and SUV's generally do not need commercial plates regardless of the total weight or combined weight.

For what weight do I need to register?

A truck in excess of 6,000 pounds GVW must be registered for the maximum weight of the truck and any load to be carried. If towing a trailer, if the truck and trailer together exceed 8,000 pounds, the truck must be registered for the combined weight of the truck, trailer and load.

http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/commerc...rmvehicles.htm

the price depends on how much you tag it for.the price list:
Reg Fee Schedule, Truck or Truck-Tractor, Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles

for all types of tags:
http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/registration/regfees.htm

nah.you wont be stopping for weigh stations or anything.i never tried it,but if you pulled into one with a pickup,they'd probably laugh and signal you through.better not take my word for that one.if you want to KNOW,you should make a call.
see that.shows what i know about it.scroll down a bit:

"Even if you are not in "commerce", you still must stop at any open weigh station if your vehicle's GVW or GVWR exceeds 10,000 pounds. The GVWR is the vehicle's gross weight rating."

how enforced is it? im not sure.i wasn't going to risk finding out the hard way (getting a ticket) or the harder way (getting in an accident and not being covered or something.)

having a commercial plate alone,does not mean your required to have commercial safety inspections.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:10 PM
rs4-380
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I went through all that earlier this morning, and it seems that compliance wise, it's required to go commercial, but I was looking to see it practically (experience wise) it is an issue or not.

What's the deal with commercial inspections? If I run a commercial plate can I still go through the normal state inspection? (it pains to to say "can I" considering how much I detest that process altogether).