1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck not running off alternator

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsnjthn
I didn't post on here to debate whether or not to take the battery cable off a vehicle running is good or bad. Taking off didnt cause my problem,and leaving it on hasn't cured my problem,so that subject to me is niether here nor there. I posted on here to see if any one might know why my alternator bench tests good,but on my truck,not so much. I have physically checked all the fuses i could find and they are all good. like i said earlier,i havent had time yet to go around with my tester checking everything. The plug took 5min. to install and cost 10 bucks. Figured with my alotted time that would be a good place to start and what could it hurt
Yet, you didn't take 5 seconds to check if there is power in the plug?
No offense but with reply #26 we didn't go too far.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
This is not that difficult of a diagnosis. The debate, vague answers and somewhat incomplete information isn't helping any.

Attached is a wiring diagram for the alternator on your truck.

The A wire (Orange/Light Blue) is what the voltage regulator uses to determine the current voltage, so it knows how much to field the alternator. It is also what powers the field coils.

The I wire (Light Green/Red) is what turns the VR on and also what allows for the battery light to come on if necessary.

The stator circuit backfeeds power through the I wire, turning off the light if everything is OK. It isn't terribly relevant to this diagnoses.

According to the service manual, the I wire should have 1-3V on it with the key on, the A wire should have 12V at all times. (I'm assuming this is with the plug attached and probed through the back.) The A and I wires should have 12-15 volts with the engine running. If you have the correct voltage on the A and I wires with the key on, and the alternator is still not charging, the alternator is bad. Assuming also that you've checked all the terminals and grounds for corrosion and repaired as necessary.

It's about that simple.

Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2012, 05:00 PM
dennis350
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
This is not that difficult of a diagnosis. The debate, vague answers and somewhat incomplete information isn't helping any.

Attached is a wiring diagram for the alternator on your truck.

The A wire (Orange/Light Blue) is what the voltage regulator uses to determine the current voltage, so it knows how much to field the alternator. It is also what powers the field coils.

The I wire (Light Green/Red) is what turns the VR on and also what allows for the battery light to come on if necessary.

The stator circuit backfeeds power through the I wire, turning off the light if everything is OK. It isn't terribly relevant to this diagnoses.

According to the service manual, the I wire should have 1-3V on it with the key on, the A wire should have 12V at all times. (I'm assuming this is with the plug attached and probed through the back.) The A and I wires should have 12-15 volts with the engine running. If you have the correct voltage on the A and I wires with the key on, and the alternator is still not charging, the alternator is bad. Assuming also that you've checked all the terminals and grounds for corrosion and repaired as necessary.

It's about that simple.
You think so? for you maybe, not the guy asking the question. four f'n days go by and you and you post this now. all I did was try to help him and you give me crap, f you. MODS delete me from this site. thank you.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:10 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
I wasn't giving YOU anything. I was commenting on the general tone of the entire thread.

I watched the thread for awhile, and I didn't get involved because I don't have a 99, nor a V-10. So the only help I could provide was from the service manuals, and they aren't always 100% accurate.

I finally responded because it didn't look like the guy was really getting much help. Your last post was good. I couldn't follow it, because I don't have the truck to look at. But it was still a good post.

I really think you need to relax. Life is too short to get pissed off over the stupid internet.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 PM
c125bob
Elder User
David, I'm saving your post. Good guide to the issue. I don't think David was try to flame anybody, we don't do that here. Let's do what we can to help this guy get his problem solved and "be buddies" !

Old 02-21-2012, 11:23 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
So Is it fixed? The single wire to the alt if unplugged will turn the light on those connectors corrode bad..I would get another alt or have it checked again.
Power 12v at A and B+ all the time. wires disconnected
Power at I when key on wires disconnected...How it works is key on 12v to one side of bulb reg grounds other side with engine off so light on. engine on.. ground comes off bulb it goes out.
The jumper has to be shorting S to S

If the light is on you know I is hooked up ok.
Because the light is on S to S might be not making connection.

Dick

Old 02-22-2012, 03:13 AM
jsnjthn
New User
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Yet, you didn't take 5 seconds to check if there is power in the plug?
No offense but with reply #26 we didn't go too far.
yeah,I took 5 seconds to check the plug. Just because theres power @ the plug doesnt mean the plug is making good contact on the alternator

Old 02-22-2012, 05:17 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
yeah,I took 5 seconds to check the plug. Just because theres power @ the plug doesnt mean the plug is making good contact on the alternator
So checking the contact would be step 2.
We are we with the troubleshooting right now?

Old 02-22-2012, 05:28 AM
jsnjthn
New User
So checking the contact would be step 2.
We are we with the troubleshooting right now?
I've got power everywhere except out of the alternator. Changed alternator out last night and still nothing. Unfortunately I'm to the point that I'm gonna take to the shop. I just don't have the time or patience to mess with it anymore.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:40 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Keep us posted?
If the alternator is tested good and there is activation power -it is going to be one of the mysteries.
2+2 doesn't equal 4.
Hope you have good auto electric shop.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:48 AM
jsnjthn
New User
Keep us posted?
If the alternator is tested good and there is activation power -it is going to be one of the mysteries.
2+2 doesn't equal 4.
Hope you have good auto electric shop.
Yeah,when it gets figured out I'll let everyone know. I hope my local shop can figure it out too!! Either way they hopefully have more electrical knowledge than I do

Old 02-22-2012, 08:38 AM
1973Ford2004
Senior User
Maybe I missed it, but how old is your battery and have you actually tested it? I bought my truck in '04 new in '07 my I was plowing snow and truck started dying, my first thought was alt. , but it turned out I had a bad (factory)battery, it would be fine and then it wouldn't, haven't had a problem since.....knock on wood

Old 02-22-2012, 09:00 AM
jsnjthn
New User
Originally Posted by 1973Ford2004
Maybe I missed it, but how old is your battery and have you actually tested it? I bought my truck in '04 new in '07 my I was plowing snow and truck started dying, my first thought was alt. , but it turned out I had a bad (factory)battery, it would be fine and then it wouldn't, haven't had a problem since.....knock on wood
Maybe I'll check that. Battery seemed ok, drove truck home on it. I've got a brand new one in my motor home I'll try on it when I get home from work.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:10 AM
1973Ford2004
Senior User
Maybe I'll check that. Battery seemed ok, drove truck home on it. I've got a brand new one in my motor home I'll try on it when I get home from work.
Mine was sporadic for about a week, until I installed the new battery, good luck

Old 02-23-2012, 04:41 PM
1973Ford2004
Senior User
Did you get it fixed? Let us know.

Quick Reply: truck not running off alternator