1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My husbands truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:37 PM
zanelesjoy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My husbands truck

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask a question but, here it is.
My hubby is deployed and I am in charge of his F250 powerstroke 6.0, that he LOVES! I replaced the batteries yesterday and now, when I open the door it dings and the lights of the odometer and clock flash, along with the lights on the side mirrors and the front and back headlights (just the little orange ones). I took it for an oil change and inspection today and the mech said to get a key fob (ours broke), I did and I tried to program it, of course I couldnt do it! So my question is, could the lights flashing and the dinging be from an alarm I didnt know was there??
Thank you.
If this isnt the right place to post questions, forgive me and point the way please.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:47 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

You're doing just fine and you've posted in the correct place.

These folks are great and someone will be through here to help you out shortly.

Oh yeah.....tell your husband I said thanks for his service too please.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:01 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
I don't know what year your truck is, but this is how I did my 02 Superduty

1. Turn ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, with the 8th time ending in
RUN. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming mode.

2. Within 20 seconds press any button on first keyless remote. Door locks will cycle
to confirm programming.

3. Within 20 seconds, press any button on second keyless remote. Door locks will
cycle again to confirm programming.

4. Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.

Let me know if this solves your problem

Old 02-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

Charlies on the right path. Alarm systems drive me nuts. Then again, I've never driven something somebody would steal.

Where in Va are you located?

Old 02-17-2012, 03:11 PM
dennis350
Freshman User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Welcome to FTE.

Oh yeah.....tell your husband I said thanks for his service too please.
X2, tell him thank you from me as well

Old 02-17-2012, 05:58 PM
galenfz6
Freshman User
my best guess would by changing the batteries took a little while and it drained all power from the ecu(computer) it can reset the way the truck drives( shifting , pickup ect..) If you can find the owners manuel it should tell you how to re program the fob. I would skim the book for a little while before trying to fix it, it took me a good time to find the things i was trying to re-program.Im not 100% sure but i am sure it will all work out. Good Luck Thanks

Old 02-17-2012, 06:09 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Usually a computer takes 60 key cycles to re-learn. That's 60 start, drive, shut off cycles/

The key fob is separate from that, and will have to be programed

Old 02-17-2012, 06:26 PM
zanelesjoy
New User
VA Beach

[QUOTE=Dave804;11447661]Charlies on the right path. Alarm systems drive me nuts. Then again, I've never driven something somebody would steal.

Where in Va are you located?[/QUOT
Well, I guess it is an alarm problem. But since it is an after market alarm I am just going to have to deal with it. We live in Va Beach

Old 02-17-2012, 06:37 PM
zanelesjoy
New User
My hubby

Again since I am new to this, I am not sure if I have to reply individually or if this will work.

Thank you everyone for your advice! Unfortunately, nothing worked.

I finally spoke to my husband, he laughed and reminded me that we have had a few issues like this before. I wasted $70 on a new key fob that will not program because it has an after market alarm installed. He says I have to find the old fob and just keep it in the console. I hope he is right, actually, I hope i didnt throw the old one away!!!
I am going to search through the owners manual tomorrow and see if there is maybe a fuse that I can pull that will ONLY disable the alarm. but, then again, it is an aftermarket alarm so I am not sure if it automatically would be the same fuse. I guess after I pull it out I will know!

Thank yall again! and my husband says "thank you" for trying to help me out!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:46 PM
zanelesjoy
New User
Originally Posted by dustybumpers
I don't know what year your truck is, but this is how I did my 02 Superduty

1. Turn ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, with the 8th time ending in
RUN. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming mode.

2. Within 20 seconds press any button on first keyless remote. Door locks will cycle
to confirm programming.

3. Within 20 seconds, press any button on second keyless remote. Door locks will
cycle again to confirm programming.

4. Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.

Let me know if this solves your problem
Thank you for your advice.

Sorry, its a 2003, I knew I forgot to add something!!
Nope, it didn't work. I tried the way you said to then I dug out the owners manual and it said the same thing you did. I was so frustrated, it didn't even try to cycle the locks. I tried to reset something else too. . . autolock? I think. Anyway, that didn't work either.
My hubby called and told me it has an aftermarket alarm on it and he didn't think even the dealership could fix it. I have a few other ideas I am going to try before taking it up to the dealer. Cross your fingers !

Old 02-17-2012, 06:50 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Find the alarm under the hood, there should be wires coming from it. a red, or yellow wire should be going into power somewhere, either in the power center under the hood, or into the fuse panel inside the cab. it would be helpful if you could find the alarm, and give us a brand name, so that we have some idea of what your working with. it's a small box, about 4" x 4" x $' or so, probably black, and probably on the driver's side up by the firewall around the brake booster.

Don't worry about "bothering us" we're here to help

Old 02-17-2012, 06:52 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Don't take it to the dealer yet! We have people all over that can help, I'm sure we can find someone around va beach!

Old 02-20-2012, 02:31 PM
zanelesjoy
New User
No luck

It stopped raining so, I was able to get out the ladder and look under the hood. Honestly, I have no idea what is what. I also looked under the dash and in the interior fuse box, no luck. A friend of mine who actually has mech skills is going to try and swing by one day this week and look at it. There is also a strange little "button" in my lower dash to the left of the steering wheel. I pushed it (ha ha, I know. . . If I don't know what it is for, I shouldn't push it) but, nothing happened. I am pretty sure it is part of the alarm.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Smokeispower
Senior User
That "button" is probably an LED to show that the alarm is "on". It will flash when the doors are locked and the alarm on. At least that's what mine did.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:29 AM
Dbergeson
Junior User
Originally Posted by zanelesjoy
It stopped raining so, I was able to get out the ladder and look under the hood. Honestly, I have no idea what is what. I also looked under the dash and in the interior fuse box, no luck. A friend of mine who actually has mech skills is going to try and swing by one day this week and look at it. There is also a strange little "button" in my lower dash to the left of the steering wheel. I pushed it (ha ha, I know. . . If I don't know what it is for, I shouldn't push it) but, nothing happened. I am pretty sure it is part of the alarm.

If it's an aftermarket alarm the weird button under the dash is a valet switch. This place the alarm in a standby mode for "Valet" your vehicle. The easy fix if you aren't worried about the alarm is to go back under by the fuse box and locate atleast one if not two black 4 x 3 inch boxes with fuses sticking out of them (not a fuse panel type) but a black box with a couple fuses sticking out the end and a bunch of wires. Removing the fuse will cut the oiwer to the 'brain' of the alarm. And thus giving you back the stock locks/ fobs. If this is too difficult look up a Car stereo shop and bring it in. I don't trust the best buytype storrs unless I know the installers personally. But, at alocal car stereo/ alarm/remote start place. They would have it dialed in a few minutes. If they tell you more they are a crap shop and trying to take advantage.

I have had remote start and after market alarms in my vehicles since I was 16, they are a nasty thing to wire. But programming ot disconnecting the alarm is a simple dealif you have someone that knows what they are looking at.

Good Luck! and tell your Husband thanks from me too!