Old 11-18-2014, 05:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

5.4L at idol nocks and shakes (sometimes)

Old 06-09-2012, 09:44 PM
jrroth
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently window regulators are also a common issue on these trucks as I am finding out!

Old 06-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jrroth
Apparently window regulators are also a common issue on these trucks as I am finding out!
My Passenger side window is slow no matter how many times I clean the switch / lube the tracks - it is what it is... Still works so screw it

Ya know we could always just buy a new vehicle every 2 years like all the stupid people who like to throw away their money - then we wouldn't have these problems.. Haha

Old 06-10-2012, 09:33 AM
jrroth
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Steve_Uzi
Ya know we could always just buy a new vehicle every 2 years like all the stupid people who like to throw away their money - then we wouldn't have these problems.. Haha
I agree with you completely! I've owned this truck for 8 years now and my total maintenance bill, excluding wear and tear items like tires and breaks, is less than $1500. That works out to be around $40 per month over the last three years since my warranty ran out. Still cheaper than a new truck payment . . . . .

Old 09-05-2012, 06:24 PM
bohannon87
New User
Hey there everyone new to the forum, and ive been reading all the threads and my brother-in-laws truck does the exact thing his is a 07 4 door 4x4 5.4l and my buddy is a certified ford tech and he was looking at it and looked it up at his job and he said it was the timing tensioners that is making it do this. havent replaced it yet because ford charges over $1000 dollars to do the job. Just letting evryone know what i have been told by a ford tech.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:10 PM
charz
Junior User
I'm having a similar issue to op
so far I've replaced the air and fuel filters, changed the oil, cleaned the MAF and Throttle body all to no avail

Old 09-08-2012, 06:32 AM
PeterTheWolf
Freshman User
Originally Posted by charz
I'm having a similar issue to op
so far I've replaced the air and fuel filters, changed the oil, cleaned the MAF and Throttle body all to no avail
By a Chevy!

Old 09-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterTheWolf
150K ... this is what Pennzoil will do to your engine

I plan to use Amsoil SAE 5W-20 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil Product Code: ALMQT-EA
Once I get this motor back together with the Amsoil Oil filter
EAO11-EA.

(No I am not a dealer of Amsoil)

No, that is what inadequate maintenance does......................

Old 09-08-2012, 02:41 PM
PeterTheWolf
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Beechkid
No, that is what inadequate maintenance does......................
Nope .... Pennzoil ..... Buy a Chevy!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:03 AM
tylerclay
New User
rough idle, rubbing sound.

I have the same problem as most here with the noise and rough idle to the point of stall out on my 5.4L. i have done phaser's vct solonoids twice and doing my tensioners for the second time right now. I got a screem coming from the timing cover and removed it yet another time for an inspection. I found the trigger wheel rubbing the timing cover, after a thorough inspection i found that the crank end play is over 1/8 of an inch.... thrust bearing is totaly burned up. I have been told that this engine is most possibly the worst engine ever designed by ford. Has anyone else run into a worn out thrust bearing at 137k.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:15 PM
PeterTheWolf
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tylerclay
I have the same problem as most here with the noise and rough idle to the point of stall out on my 5.4L. i have done phaser's vct solonoids twice and doing my tensioners for the second time right now. I got a screem coming from the timing cover and removed it yet another time for an inspection. I found the trigger wheel rubbing the timing cover, after a thorough inspection i found that the crank end play is over 1/8 of an inch.... thrust bearing is totaly burned up. I have been told that this engine is most possibly the worst engine ever designed by ford. Has anyone else run into a worn out thrust bearing at 137k.
I feel for you Dude.
Cut your losses and get a CHEVY!
This is indeed IS the worst motor designed.
Major engineering problems!
I would ignore all who disagree ... or waste your $$$.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
I feel for you Dude.
Cut your losses and get a CHEVY!
This is indeed the worst motor designed.
Major engineering problems!
I would ignore all who disagree ... or waste your $$$.

I agreed 10000% Peter - I traded in my pos 2006 Ford F-150 and thankfully got $11,000 for it... low oil pressure and all (they didn't know of course )

Regretfully.. I will NEVER buy another Ford product again... Sorry Ford.. as they say in baseball - you are only as good as your last at Bat - And you Struck-out Bigtime! No Engine that had the oil changed every 5K with Ford Oil, by a Ford Dealership, with a Ford oil filter should have needed over $5,000 repairs nor should the engine of had 15psi of oil pressure at hot idle after 85,000 miles... easy miles as well since I never towed with my truck. It was simply a home cheapo getter, atv and snowmobile in the bed hauler and that is it!

Bye Bye Ford... and it is funny how more and more people are having issues with these crappy 5.4L 3V engines... I personally feel you are ALL on borrowed time with that engine.. and to those of you who have not had issues - I call you all LUCKY and Fortunate....

Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 PM
PeterTheWolf
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Steve_Uzi
I agreed 10000% Peter - I traded in my pos 2006 Ford F-150 and thankfully got $11,000 for it... low oil pressure and all (they didn't know of course )

Steve ... You got out at a good price $11K. I had to spend $4K to rebuild the motor and still had the same engineering problem. Was only able to get $9K on 2004 with 1100 miles on a $4K rebuild for a trade in on a CHEVY! They really don't care as long as you can drive the piece-of-junk in.
BUT still worth every penny just to get the piece-of-junk out on my life.

Do the right thing and get rid of the FORD ... IGNORE ALL WHO TELL YOU OTHERWISE.

Buy a CHEVY!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:51 PM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Steve ... You got out at a good price $11K. I had to spend $4K to rebuild the motor and still had the same engineering problem. Was only able to get $9K on 2004 with 1100 miles on a $4K rebuild for a trade in on a CHEVY! They really don't care as long as you can drive the piece-of-junk in.
BUT still worth every penny just to get the piece-of-junk out on my life.

Do the right thing and get rid of the FORD ... IGNORE ALL WHO TELL YOU OTHERWISE.

Buy a CHEVY!
Yup I got a good price for sure.. I only paid $25,200 brand new and the sticker was $34,500!

I still paid too much to drive it for the 6 years I owned it... I spent $1000 at a local mechanic in Feb 2012 to replace a Catalytic converter, Fuel Pump Module. Then an additional $1500 from Mar-June 2012 replacing 3 coil packs, 3 injectors, 2 Cam Phasers, Entire Timing chain set, 2 VCT solenoids, 2 Cam positioning sensors and 8 Plugs... If a Ford stealership would have done the work it would have cost me over $5000 and the end result would have been the same... Junk Engine!

Honestly I do realize I am in the 5-10% of Ford Owners who have had crap luck.. but still it sure is enough of a bad taste to NEVER own another Ford product again!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 AM
apache41
New User
Originally Posted by Crissyfl
We have a 2004 late model f150 and just went through the same issue, shake at low idle, knocking and same p codes, ours also had the 22 code which i Think is low oil preasure and it seemed like the transmission was about to go. Mind you this didn't happen all at once, the condition had been deteriorating over time. We change the oil and filter ever 6k miles. Before we took it to the shop, i read horror stories of thes symptoms and folks replacing cam sensors, VCR, timing chains...etc, and thousands of dollars later symptoms remained. Since I know the p codes pointed to cam sensors, and I know many times that didn't resolve, I wanted to have them go right for the timing chain looking for a skipped tooth. My husband went against my recommendation and took it to his ford Truck expert mechanic. A week later and 1800 dollars the mechanic called and said their is sludge all over the engine, the truck barely runs, not to waste any more money to get a new engine...

So my husband told me this news, i did not believe this diagnosis. So i did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that we needed to chane the oil to 15-40 diesel. I told my husband to call his expert mechanic and tell him to humor you and put in that oil.

My husband was laughing, thinking how rediculous this idea was. But since the alternative was to get it towed for a second opinion or buy a new engine and tranny, he went with it.

Well the next day the mechanic calls and says he can't believe it but the 15-40 oil resolved all the issues. Knocking, stalling at idle, rough idle, transmission symptoms, running like a diesel oh and the ticking... GONE.

I found at least 10 other people who have resolved these issues with the 15-40.

I wish someone had posted this resolution with more clarity so that we could have done this first and saved 1800$ and a lot of stress.

Good luck

Did you use standard or synthetic oil? Thanks

Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by apache41
Did you use standard or synthetic oil? Thanks
Doesn't matter... 15W40 is Masking the problem..... Your engine will fail in due time.. good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4L at idol nocks and shakes (sometimes)