1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

The Adventure Begins: My '81 F100 Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 03:25 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was actually an ice cream container, one of those oval-shaped kind. I'm all about disposable stuff, but it survived the swishing.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:36 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
A few steps closer to completion. To keep an eye on those gasket tabs, I started at a rear corner and worked my way around, inserting each bolt just a couple of turns. Then I went back around and hand-tightened them with a 1/2" socket on an extension. If you undertake this, do yourself a favor and scrounge up every 1/2" socket you have, and attach to them to a variety of extensions; it will save you from having to switch the socket in a fairly tight spot.

I should have painted the bolts, but they'd just get all buggered up by the sockets.

Another note: To remove the oil pan, I had to bend that brace on the dipstick tube, the one that attaches to the fifth push rod cover bolt.

Heading back out to torque them all to 15 lbs., and remount the starter.

Attached Images    
Old 10-26-2012, 03:39 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
I had to shoot this.

I call it Late Afternoon Colorado Sunshine Glinting Through Garage Window Onto Jacked-Up Engine.

Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I can see it in a gallery some place. Probably alongside one of an old gas station on Route 66 with an old Ford pickup rusting away beside it. Like something I'd have in my shop.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:53 AM
LouisianaKid
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been said before and I'll say it again, this thread is downright inspirational. Anytime I read it I just wanna drop what I'm doing and go to work on the ole' girl. And also it seems like such a simple problem but I have been confounded for the longest on how to paint my rims without getting it all over my tires, so thank you for all the awesome advice and ideas!

Old 10-27-2012, 03:40 AM
Cienega32
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WilleyJoe.62
I should have painted the bolts, but they'd just get all buggered up by the sockets.
What I always do is hit them with degreaser if they need it and using a can of carb cleaner with the screen bucket in it, throw them in for an overnite soak. After a good hose off the next day, I'll give them a quick-over on the wire-wheel.

Makes 'em shiny looking!

Old 10-27-2012, 05:31 PM
kickingber
Senior User
Willie, I just read this post from first to last. I would just like to say outstanding job! I really like the way everthing was simply and clearly explained, plus photos. For guys like me that don't know much, it's a big help. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:54 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
I 'preciate that, brother. I've tried to show not just the work being done, but a lot of tasks for which I couldn't find photos online or anywhere else. And practically everything I've done to Festus has been with the aid of FTE members and a good set of manuals. Sometimes it takes a while to find it, but if you're doing it to your truck, there's a good chance it's been discussed somewhere on this forum. If it hasn't, just ask, and the good folks here will jump to your aid.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:56 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by LouisianaKid
It's been said before and I'll say it again, this thread is downright inspirational. Anytime I read it I just wanna drop what I'm doing and go to work on the ole' girl. And also it seems like such a simple problem but I have been confounded for the longest on how to paint my rims without getting it all over my tires, so thank you for all the awesome advice and ideas!
Seems simple, doesn't it? Only took me a year to figure that one out...

Old 10-27-2012, 07:00 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Received my new vinyl flooring today from Stock Interiors, only four days after I ordered it. It's heavier (almost 30 pounds) and thicker than the original, and looks like it will extend all the way under the seat. I'll have to leave it laid out for a few days for the wrinkles to soften, before I can install it. Really looking forward to this, as the old vinyl piece is a goner, lots of rips and holes.

1980-1986 Ford Full Size Truck, Standard Cab Molded Vinyl Flooring - 2 WD Floor Shift or 4 WD (High Tunnel)

Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, Festus's interior is going to look great with that black vinyl and the nice new seat!

Old 10-27-2012, 10:00 PM
kickingber
Senior User
That is nice flooring, does it have the same texture as the stock one?

Old 10-27-2012, 10:16 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
It'll be mighty fine, alright. The texture's the same, but it doesn't have the ribbed area on the driver's side. No problem, I'll be putting mats in anyway. My understanding is, they use actual floorpans and cast the vinyl on them. It's also available in dark gray, beige, and medium blue. The padding in the photo is included, so I can finally get rid of the original jute padding, which is like handling a porcupine.

When I pull the original, I'll get the cab mounts done so I don't have to remove the new vinyl. I'll also insulate the firewall.

This is the best photo I could find of the stock flooring, when I was cleaning it a year ago.

Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2012, 12:41 AM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seem to remember a trick for getting the vinyl to smooth out, something like using a hairdryer to warm up the vinyl. I think I read it somewhere.

Yours was in alot better shape than mine, it was coming apart everywhere and got bunched up in places. Now that I think about it, I think my truck had bare floor when I got it, and the rubber mat I had in it before I put in carpet came from a parts truck.

I wouldn't trade my carpet for anything now but then again, vinyl is alot easier to get stuff out of than carpet. lol

Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 AM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
I went back and forth for a long while trying to decide if I'd install carpet; but given where we now live, with directions including "turn off the paved road", I opted to stay with the vinyl.

If I had ordered this in the summer, it would probably be ready to go now. But, it is noticeably softer this morning and starting to take shape. Also a closeup of the texture.

The original has gotten thin and brittle over the years. Through various projects in the cab, it has torn every time I've moved it.

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: The Adventure Begins: My '81 F100 Project