1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pillar mounted Gauges, don't do it...........

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:42 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Pillar mounted Gauges, don't do it...........

Ever smack yourself in the head and think "why didn't I consider that"

I thought the pillar mounted gauges looked really good so when I decided to do gauges that's were I mounted mine. Problem is I'm 50 and I started needin reading glasses a few years ago. Progressive lenses are great but having to lean your head back to see your gauges while driving stinks.

Will probably be moving them to under dash in the future and wanted to give a heads up to my fellow old timers out there considering gauges in their trucks.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:48 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Good point.
Try wearing your glasses upside down.

Heh heh heh..... I also wear progressives so I can say things like that. Fortunately, I am pretty long and have the seat all the way back. For me, so far the only problem is clearly seeing the top one in my stack of 3 - so I put oil pressure at the top. As long as the needle is straight up or to the right, it's good. I can see that much with no effort. But eventually they may have to move.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:57 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
consider an overhead gauge set(over rearview mirror) they make them in a two-three and four gauge setup

Old 02-14-2012, 06:01 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
I like my "haul your fat butt into the cab" bar too much.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:19 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Ever smack yourself in the head and think "why didn't I consider that"

I thought the pillar mounted gauges looked really good so when I decided to do gauges that's were I mounted mine. Problem is I'm 50 and I started needin reading glasses a few years ago. Progressive lenses are great but having to lean your head back to see your gauges while driving stinks.

Will probably be moving them to under dash in the future and wanted to give a heads up to my fellow old timers out there considering gauges in their trucks.
I am getting ready to put gauges in my truck. And I'm over 50 and blind in my left eye and need reading glasses for my right eye. So I was also thinking the pillar would be a bad idea for me.
I am wondering if anyone has the overhead gauges ? If so does the EGT sensor wires reach up there?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
I am getting ready to put gauges in my truck. And I'm over 50 and blind in my left eye and need reading glasses for my right eye. So I was also thinking the pillar would be a bad idea for me.
I am wondering if anyone has the overhead gauges ? If so does the EGT sensor wires reach up there?
If you get the ISSPRO Performax gauges then it will work in that location.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:50 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
I also like the look of the overhead / over the mirror mounts but from working on aircraft were there are lots of overhead switches and gauges I"m sure you'll have the same problem. It just didn't dawn on me that with 4 pillar mounted gauges at least 2 of them would be at a height that would require the lean back to see them clearly.

Try hanging a wrist watch on your mirror and see if you can see it easily. If not I would recommend you consider under dash mounts.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:12 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Thanks guys for the input
Paul that is a great idea with the wrist watch. My truck is up on jack stands now so I check the distance and try it at the same distance in my car as I drive down the road. And you are right about having to sit back and get further away from the gauges to read them.

Greg I checked out the ISSPRO Performax gauges at Riffraff and they seem to be easy to read. Do you know if the EGT gauge comes with the probe/sensor and is that lead long enought to go from over the mirror to exhaust manifold ? Now as I look at the Performax gauges they seem to be easy on the wallet until I am came to the ESP (Electronic Processor). Riffraff Diesel: ESP (Electronic Processor) What does it do and how does it hook up?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:29 PM
joe_r_dog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am not such a big fan on pillar mounted. i like the above mirror, but i think on dash would be good too. i think the pillar would make a big blind spot, but im only 16 so ive got quite some time hopefully b4 readers lol.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Ed, I believe the ESP is like a hub, all the ISSO performax gauges hook up with 1 wire and hook into the ESP and all the sensors hook into the ESP. Joe (CSIPSD) can give you more info on them since he is a tester for them and has like 17 hooked up in his truck. Correct me if i'm wrong Joe.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by joe_r_dog
im only 16 so ive got quite some time hopefully b4 readers lol.
Enjoy it while it lasts cause when it goes it will seemingly happen overnight. One day at about 45 I realized I couldn't read a serial number on a part. I know it had to be coming on gradually but it did seem to happen about that fast. Heck, I used to tie size 22 flies without a big ole magnifier.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:50 PM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gettin' old SUCKS!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I've got so much in my van you would think this is a cockpit.
The gauges had to go on my pillar.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:41 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by robbragiel
Hey Ed, I believe the ESP is like a hub, all the ISSO performax gauges hook up with 1 wire and hook into the ESP and all the sensors hook into the ESP. Joe (CSIPSD) can give you more info on them since he is a tester for them and has like 17 hooked up in his truck. Correct me if i'm wrong Joe.
Thanks Rob I'll drop Joe a PM. But with the cost of the ESP if you are only getting a couple of gauges it would be costly compared to others but if you are lucky enough to be able to afford many gauges that price isn't to bad. The Autometer Ultra Lites seem to be easy to read as I try to judge from sitting at my computer when I take my reading glasses off.

Does ISSO and Autometer use the same size hole and thread for EGT probe ? I ask because I am not sure yet which gauges I am going to go with yet but I would like to drill and tap exhaust manifold for egt probe before I put my up pipes back in.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:47 PM
barthel
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Enjoy it while it lasts cause when it goes it will seemingly happen overnight. One day at about 45 I realized I couldn't read a serial number on a part.
The SAME thing happened to me about a year ago. Now whenever I'm working on the truck I have to wear a pair of those "cheater" glasses, since I suddenly can't see when I'm doing close in work (less than an arms length). Needless to say I HATE it!

My set up, just to put my 2 cents in, I initially didn't want to put them on the pillar but that's where they ended up. All in all I'm happy with it.

Quick Reply: Pillar mounted Gauges, don't do it...........