6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Bulletproof EGR cooler - any downside?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 07:37 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Aftermarket coolers do not cool the exhaust gas as much. That affects the emissions. How much is anybody's guess. Ford changed from the more reliable "internal tube" design to the less reliable "plate" design for more cooling.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:40 AM
redeye_joe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If that is enough to make a difference in the emissions to fail the test, then the delete kit would for sure, I am trying to find someone in colorado that has passes or failed the emissions test here with one of the deletes installed. They use a sniff test.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
If they do a visual inspection under the hood before hooking up the equipment, a standard delete will be obvious. If the person doing the test doesn't catch it it would just mean you slipped by that inspector. It wouldn't indicate anything about colorado's policy.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:00 AM
redeye_joe
New User
I am not worried about the visual test as much as the sniff test. I have read alot of people saying they had no problem, and then I read just as many people saying it would not pass. And pulling it out seems to be alot of work, I want to either delete or replace it so I dont have the typical problems that come with a 6.0. I would rather fix it before it cost big money.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:40 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct me if I am wrong. EGR cooler only leak due to oil cooler blockage for a long while.

After I bought my Excursion and start learning about 6.0 from here, install scanguage II and see the temperature difference between oil and coolant; tried flusing, new Ford coolant didn't help; back flush and new Cat red coolant from delo didn't help either. Then it was time to change new oil cooler and bullet Proof EGR cooler. The factory EGR cooler was still working no leak at the time. I can see that the Bullet proof EGR body is exactly the same as the factory, they reuse the factory body, only change the fin type internal to the rod like the 03 EGR cooler.
I think the factory EGR cooler is still a good design provide that the Oil cooler is working properly. But the general consent now a day is when replace the oil cooler, also replace the EGR cooler.
I did not check on the price of factory EGR cooler, what's the difference in price between the two?

Old 03-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
It takes a little looking to find an OEM cooler these days. The improved one is available all over the place from about $160 up. Seems many companies and individuals are modifying them. The BPD cooler is $350. As with many things these days, choosing parts by price alone can bite you in the wallet.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:15 PM
allingeneral
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I need to replace my EGR cooler due to a leak, and I'm fighting with whether or not to pay the extra money for the BPD version.

Also found this one on ebay. Looks like a BPD knock-off. Says it's been pressure tested to 100PSI.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diesel-EGR-Cooler-Ford-6-0L-Powerstroke-Diesel-F250-F350-F450-Super-Improved-/131119264390?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e87513286&vxp=mtr

Old 03-01-2014, 04:19 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by allingeneral
I need to replace my EGR cooler due to a leak, and I'm fighting with whether or not to pay the extra money for the BPD version.

Also found this one on ebay. Looks like a BPD knock-off. Says it's been pressure tested to 100PSI.

Diesel EGR Cooler Ford 6 0L Powerstroke Diesel F250 F350 F450 Super Improved | eBay
That's is more than half the price of BPD EGR cooler and the quality of the weld looks good on the pictures. BPD EGR cooler charge $50 for the core, and this guy isn't he only say he'll buy your old one for $35...
Can't tell you if that is a as good as the BPD, this all come down to the quality of the welding job, any good welder and do this.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:22 AM
allingeneral
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by VQT
That's is more than half the price of BPD EGR cooler and the quality of the weld looks good on the pictures. BPD EGR cooler charge $50 for the core, and this guy isn't he only say he'll buy your old one for $35...
Can't tell you if that is a as good as the BPD, this all come down to the quality of the welding job, any good welder and do this.
I asked a couple of questions and guy says he's rebuilt "dozens and dozens" of these over the last 4 years and he's offering a lifetime warranty. Even tough I'm a little leary about a lifetime warranty from an individual, I think I might give it a try.

*EDIT - just bought the EGR cooler from eBay. Price seems right, and with tubes instead of fins - hopefully will work out well.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:27 PM
bodywerks
Senior User
The downside is you will still be dumping hot, dirty, oxygen-robbing gasses into your intake, and you'll be $300 lighter in the pocket for it. Unless you're in a communist state, like CA, and can't get past smog without it, EGR delete is the only way to go. It will also motivate you to get a tuner to get rid of any diagnostic codes, which will introduce you to tuning your engine for better performace and fuel economy, and then you'll be hooked!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:36 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bodywerks
The downside is you will still be dumping hot, dirty. oxygen-robbing gasses into your intake, and you'll be $300 lighter in the pocket for it. Unless you're in a communist state, like CA, and can't get past smog without it, EGR delete is the only way to go. It will also motivate you to get a tuner to get rid of any diagnostic codes, which will introduce you to tuning your engine for better performace and fuel economy, and then you'll be hooked!
But if you live in the states that have smog check, you need to leave the EGR alone.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:18 PM
bodywerks
Senior User
Originally Posted by VQT
But if you live in the states that have smog check, you need to leave the EGR alone.
Unless they get on a ladder and inspect the engine with a high power flashlight and mirror(to inspect for a conventional egr delete j pipe), you can simply put the valve in place as a dummy come smog day(or leave it in place) and get a tuner to delete the codes and smog should be no problem. Heck, even here in AZ the smog diesels, on a dyno with a sniffer, and deleted trucks pass smog no problem. My buddy even passed smog without a cat!
Diesels have low CO emmisions compared to gassers. The sniffer that smog stations use won't be able to tell you have a delete just by 'smell'. Heck, it's just regurgitated exhast - it's coming out the tailpipe whether it gets recycled through the engine or not!

Old 03-05-2014, 08:30 AM
davidkstyler
Elder User
Originally Posted by bodywerks
Unless they get on a ladder and inspect the engine with a high power flashlight and mirror(to inspect for a conventional egr delete j pipe), you can simply put the valve in place as a dummy come smog day(or leave it in place) and get a tuner to delete the codes and smog should be no problem. Heck, even here in AZ the smog diesels, on a dyno with a sniffer, and deleted trucks pass smog no problem. My buddy even passed smog without a cat!
Diesels have low CO emmisions compared to gassers. The sniffer that smog stations use won't be able to tell you have a delete just by 'smell'. Heck, it's just regurgitated exhast - it's coming out the tailpipe whether it gets recycled through the engine or not!
IIRC the purpose of recycling the exhaust is to reduce NOx. A diesel ingests far more air than it needs so reduced oxygen is not a problem. If they are measuring NOx then disabling the EGR system may show up as higher readings, however what the limits are and how close you would be are what matters. Any emissions experts out there?

I just searched Wikipedia and the last line reads "The use of exhaust gas recirculation and catalytic converters in motor vehicle engines have significantly reduced emissions." Personally I don't mind helping my kids to breath easier! I guess I must be a communist!

Old 03-05-2014, 09:18 AM
allingeneral
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by davidkstyler
Personally I don't mind helping my kids to breath easier! I guess I must be a communist!
Placing arbitrary limits on anything "for the children" seems absurd to me. I call the limits arbitrary just because I don't personally know what they are, so if an expert wants to come forward and explain that X percent of emissions are reburned through the use of an EGR valve on a 6.0L diesel, than I would have something to go on. However, I'm not going to jump to a conclusion and say that it's good "for the children" just as an excuse to blindly follow the EPA mandates.

Al Gore is as full of crap as a Christmas goose.

And personally - I would never call myself a Communist, even in jest. Live Free or Die.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:52 PM
davidkstyler
Elder User
Originally Posted by allingeneral
Placing arbitrary limits on anything "for the children" seems absurd to me. I call the limits arbitrary just because I don't personally know what they are, so if an expert wants to come forward and explain that X percent of emissions are reburned through the use of an EGR valve on a 6.0L diesel, than I would have something to go on. However, I'm not going to jump to a conclusion and say that it's good "for the children" just as an excuse to blindly follow the EPA mandates.

Al Gore is as full of crap as a Christmas goose.

And personally - I would never call myself a Communist, even in jest. Live Free or Die.
Just blindly disliking something because you don't understand it is as bad as communism! Wasn't it "bodywerks" who said communists enforce emission controls? I was just saying that emission controls are for our good even if you don't understand them. Following "bodywerks" logic brands me a communist because my kid (not the children) has asthma and anything that will clean up the air would be good for her.

Quick Reply: Bulletproof EGR cooler - any downside?