Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

I think i almost kiled my truck

Old 02-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Ravenous Weasel
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
Depending on how/where the waste gate was disconnected results in different end results.

If the hose is disconnected, it just doesn't open at the preset pressure ... So you build more boost. It'll also leak boost out the hose if not plugged.

If the actuator rod is disconnected the waste gate will remain open resulting in little or no boost.

Either way damage is unlikely, especially with stock exhaust.

I basically have my waste gate locked tight shut with a slightly modded exhaust that is about to undergo major surgery ... That is if Banks ever gets their products off that slow boat from China!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~
it was the actuator rod that was disconnected and it has a stock exhoust up to the bed than it has a stack.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:38 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Man, that looks an awful lot like a 6.9 engine. The filler cap and return line from the IP are dead give-aways. I can't tell much by that timing mark on your pump. It should be almost dead center at the top of the pump housing. It looks a little advanced from its clocking but depending on how the pump was rebuilt that could possibly be OK.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Ravenous Weasel
Junior User
wow i hope not. are the vlave covers interchangabule for theres a sticker on the driver side vlave cover that says its a 1993 7.3 turbo engine. and if its a 6.9 then the PO lied to me and im not going to be happy.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yea, I'd say that's a 6.9 as well unless some one has put the older style return on a 7.3 ... IMNSHO that would be ignorant.

I really can't see the mark on the IP, but if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing it's pretty advanced ...

Start the motor when it's cold, the motor must be below 112F so the fast idle and cold start advance is active (on), unhook the cold start advance wire off the IP, listen to the difference, it should rattle with it on, and not when it's off.

If the rattle doesn't change much, it's to far advanced.

You can do it when it's warm by applying 12v to the Cold Start solenoid on the IP ... In fact that is when I do it ... Unplug the Cold Start solenoid, Use a jumper wire to power the solenoid ... On then off listening.

This is NOT the best method, but it works, one is best off taking it to a shop that has the proper equipment to properly time the fuel.

What size of a 12 point socket fits the head bolts ???
1/2 12 point is a 7.3.
7/16 12 point is a 6.9.

And be happy, a 6.9 is better then the 7.3.

-Enjoy

Old 02-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Ravenous Weasel
Junior User
im going to take a pic of the hole engine. and see what you guys think.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Find out what socket fits the head bolts .... that is the most positive method other then numbers that are hard to see and describe the location of ...

However if you want to look at numbers, they are on the flat surface of the block on the drivers side of the IP Gear housing, where the IP gear housing mounts. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of their location.

-Enjoy

Old 02-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Ravenous Weasel
Junior User
ok this is what my engine looks like i hop you guys can tell me what i got now on the vlave cover says its a 7.3 turbo but i dont know if the vlave coves are intercangabule. thank guys.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Ravenous Weasel
Junior User
my head bolts are 11mm, 1/2 and 7/16 are both to big.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:38 PM
jb10725
Junior User
It looks like a 6.9L engine with turbo components, including the valve cover, from a factory 1993 7.3 engine. That's my guess at least.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Ravenous Weasel
Junior User
will a 6.9 hook up to a 5 speed trans from a 7.3 with no mods?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
They are basically the same exact motors ... the 6.9 has a 4" bore, the 7.3 has a 4.110" bore, that over bore is what kills many 7.3's.

They will be either 7/16 or 1/2 ... They are American, 11mm is pretty close to 7/16's.

It's a 6.9 that is partially dressed up like a 7.3 ... In many eyes that would be a blessing, I am one!

My next question would be: What year 6.9 is it ... See here: 6.9 block ID

-Enjoy

Old 02-15-2012, 07:05 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i see the '92 1/2 + serpentine belt setup.
i see a 6.9l oil fill neck.
i see an incorrectly tuned engine.
my guess is,she's the '93 7.3l turbo engine,but she had her gear cover removed,and then lost/ruined so a 6.9l was replaced.by the looks of the crazy advanced ip,id say it's clear this engine is extremely de-tuned.
id be pulling a valve cover to see the head bolt size anyway.then id pull the gear cover,correctly line up the timing gears,by the looks of that ip placement she's way out of whack and that's how they cheated the thing to run. -- thats not the first time iv seen this done here on the forum.i bet its far more common than most of us know too.the more iv read about idi's reported as being dog's then thinking some more about how commonly the gear covers get removed,the more i think this.so iv added more info on that in the link below,to encourage pretty much everyone to check it.
id install the correct 7.3l gear cover,followed by a fresh ip and set of injectors.
set her timing to 6 or 5 degrees ATDC/ 8 or 9 BTDC and she'd run like a raped ape.

no matter what the thing is in the end,right now you need to apply this info before you can drive her:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ning-info.html

Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Ravenous Weasel
Junior User
ok thanks guys. will im not to happy right now i just spent a lot of mony on 7.3 parts and now there not going to work. maybe i mite sale this truck and all the parts or try and find a 7.3 engin. for all the stuff i bought. i just dont know i love being lied to and now i cant trust anything ealse the PO told me he did.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Ravenous Weasel
Junior User
OMG i cant belive what i just did. i did not look at the head bolts i looked at some other bolt cause the head bolt is inside the vlave covers. i cant belive i just did that. im so stubid.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
No they are not all inside the rocker covers, some are right above the exhaust manifold ... they are the only 12 point bolts in the area.

What parts for the 7.3 did you buy that won't fit a 6.9 ??? They are basically the same.

-Enjoy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I think i almost kiled my truck