1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Project.....? I need a nickname!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:36 PM
FourxFour84
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project.....? I need a nickname!

Hey guys, I'm newer around here and have found this forum to be extremely useful. I've had my 84 4x4 for a little over a year now and have done a decent amount of work to it. Tonight started the biggest of them all......an engine swap. My tired 351w (218k) was burning a quart of oil about every 3 days. But i found a rebuilt 302 out of a 85 mustang and for the price i couldn't resist. I want to document what I am doing to the ol girl and get some feedback from you guys! Hopefully when it is all said and done she'll have a nickname finally. I'll post some pics of my progress tonight after i get all washed up.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:54 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Don't name it, til you drive it.....

Learn it's quirks, issues, and personality....

Mine is named Michelle, because it acts like a 19yr old drama queen of a teenager.....It is literally always something...

My 1994 was Ethel....It had the personality of a 45 yr old woman, that never needed anything, but simple maintenance.....

Trust me, when the time comes, you'll know it...

Btw, WELCOME TO FTE!!!......we're glad to have ya......If ya have some pics to put up, use photo bucket, and then either copy/paste the pic to the entry, or use the image code...

Old 12-20-2011, 04:39 PM
FourxFour84
Cross-Country
got some pics coming up! enjoy!

Old 12-20-2011, 04:41 PM
FourxFour84
Cross-Country
I guess like any good story it should start from the beginning......

thats how i first bought her for $500 minus the tires. had a bad timing chain and a busted rocker arm, among a million other issues, banged up body parts and such.

this is her after a new fender and door

Old 12-20-2011, 04:49 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Lookin' good!...I like that wheel/tire combo......

FOr some odd reason, the name Shirley comes to mind, when I look at that truck..

Old 12-20-2011, 05:39 PM
FourxFour84
Cross-Country
Shirley is a good redhead name.....i like it! I like that wheel/tire combo as well but it is not what will finally be on it. I'll post pics of those tomorrow

Here is how she sat as of last week after the body lift was put on....

and here are some pics of my progress of last night and today

sprayed it all down with degreaser, letting it dry overnight and painting first thing in the morning

found a broken motor mount explains why the motor had some movement to it. new ones will be in tomorrow

Old 12-20-2011, 06:14 PM
00Boss
Elder User
Very good lookin truck. I see loads of potential with it. And the white wheels look good on it to.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:29 PM
FourxFour84
Cross-Country
thanks!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 AM
FourxFour84
Cross-Country
just finished degreasing and scrubbing the engine bay.....paint in the next hour and hopefully the engine in by sundown! more pics to come

Old 12-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Not that it matters since you have a different engine, but I don't think that one is original to the truck. Or, at least that head isn't. That's because that's a rail-rocker that's broken, I think. It certainly isn't the stamped rockers that should have come on the truck originally. Rail rockers came on a short run of heads in the late 70's IIRC, and I know they were on the D7 heads I used for a while. There are several reasons Ford used them only briefly, and you are looking at one of them.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:45 PM
FourxFour84
Cross-Country
You are correct Gary. I ran the VIN when i first bought it and she originally was a 302/4 speed truck. I've been trying to pull the numbers off the block to try and identify its origin but it has so much crud on it all i could make out was the first number.....a 0. So my guess is 80? I have a few pics coming soon along with some questions, hopefully you guys can help me out

Old 12-21-2011, 04:52 PM
FourxFour84
Cross-Country
hey guys, it rained most of today :/ so i spent the day organizing everything and switching accessories from the 351 to the 302. I ran into a few problems along the way though, maybe you guys could help!

I ran into this thing that runs all the way to the fuel tank but was not connected to anything in the engine compartment, can i remove this?

this is the back of the 302....the back of the 351 is bigger, is there a way to remove the inner bearing? i believe the mustang it came out of was a manual transmission.

this is the back of the 351

and as promised here is a small preview of the new wheels and tires

Old 12-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The thing in the first picture is the canister that captures vapors from both the gas tank as well as the carb. There should be the small line back to the tank(s) and a large one to the vent on the carb.

As for the pilot bearing in the crank, I've pulled them out with a seal remover and even the head of a nail that was locked in vice grips. And, I've read about guys getting them out by putting a lot of grease in, then a shaft that just fits in the bearing, and hitting that with a hammer. That causes pressure on the back of the bearing and drives it out.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:14 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
The thing in the first picture is the canister that captures vapors from both the gas tank as well as the carb.
I am no expert and am not aware of all the variations, but every emissions label I've seen (where I've looked for this stuff) shows one charcoal canister per gas tank.

IIRC there should also be some sort of solenoid & check valve to direct the fumes into the engine for burning upon engine start-up.

In any event, yes, it's part of the EVAP (Evaporative Emissions) system and is good to have to keep the truck from smelling like gasoline as well as being good for the environment.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:18 PM
FourxFour84
Cross-Country
alrighty! thanks guys! your help is much appreciated

Quick Reply: Project.....? I need a nickname!