1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:59 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Thanks guys. I love the bench seats as well. They just seem to complete the look with these old trucks.
I haven't gotten any estimates yet. I guess I need to do that sometime soon. At least to see what I might be running into.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:07 PM
Cobwebman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That seat, very nice. Looks good and has that old time feel to it I bet.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:08 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
I think the seat looks great Joe! Maybe you can take Gwen on a cruise sitting by your side like the ole days when your were courting. :-)

Originally Posted by ben73058
My youngest daughter was just accepted into the University of Nebraska -
I thought of you. Not sure where she will end up going ...it's nice to be
wanted.
Let me know if you visit Lincoln Ben, I'll give you some tips for your travels. Also, I would love to meet a fellow FTE member to show and tell trucks!

Old 09-22-2016, 06:18 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
California, MO is only 462 miles from next year's possible Truckstock location.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:44 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
So, I have a year to make sure my truck can go that far.
For the flatbed, I was thinking of building an army style canvas cover. If I do that, I can make a camping trip out of it, sleeping on a cot on the bed a night or two.....or getting a hotel since I'm not that young any more.

Where is the preliminary location? I haven't seen that yet.

If I'm not brave enough to drive my truck. If at all possible, I will get there. 2017 Truckstock looks to be the best chance for me yet.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:42 PM
Cobwebman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
What exactly is Truckstock?

Old 09-22-2016, 10:38 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Cobwebman,
Truckstock is just a hosted get togeather. You should be able to search FTE & find some pictures and info. It''S just a like minded bunch of folks enjoying each other's company.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:17 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobwebman
What exactly is Truckstock?
Go here to read about TS16. Truckstock has been an annual event since 2012. Locations have varied. Lots on the forum about various years.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ruckstock.html

Old 09-23-2016, 07:46 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
Where is the preliminary location? I haven't seen that yet.

If I'm not brave enough to drive my truck. If at all possible, I will get there. 2017 Truckstock looks to be the best chance for me yet.
Very preliminary: Gary (AKA Homade) was scoping out General Butler State Park, near Louisville, KY.

Fall Creek Falls in TN is great. (Actually, it's almost perfect) But every trail has been hiked or biked, and every road has been cruised. The group was just thinking about some different scenery.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:49 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
The other day, I adjusted the valve lash. For the most part the intakes were pretty good but the exhaust were almost all loose.

This morning my youngest was heading out on a fishing trip with her cousins. So, I got the truck out of the garage to take her meet the family and go. I thought I had better hop in and make sure it would start. I'm always a little concerned about that. Well, it started easier than my daily driver. I was a bit shocked and very pleased.

The truck now idles pretty smoothly and much quieter than before. I drove it to my in-laws to drop her off and let it idle there for a while as we looked it over and everything loaded in the boat. My nephew commented on how much quieter it is.

As I was pulling out my father in law said something so I slowed up and the truck died. He noticed my bumper. I lost the original and BJ got me a replacement. It didn't start up super quick, but not too bad.

Then I drove around town for a little bit before stopping at the high school to go run then drive back home. It's running much smoother at 45 mph. I'm so tempted to take it into Jeff City which is about 20 miles away.

The kids are all out today, so Gwen and I are going to catch a movie. So, not much time with the truck, but I'm sure I will get out more today and tomorrow. It's so much nicer driving with a seat. Good day and it's not even 9AM yet.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:06 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Good to hear the truck is doing well. Sometimes a master touch helps.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:38 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Did you figure out what caused one of your idle adjustments to not work and fix it?

Good to hear that the truck is driving nicer. That sort of thing always helps keep a smile on my face.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:18 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by raytasch
Good to hear the truck is doing well. Sometimes a master touch helps.
Yep, is sure does. Along with all the amazing advice I've gotten from here along the way. Priceless!

Originally Posted by 38 coupe
Did you figure out what caused one of your idle adjustments to not work and fix it?

Good to hear that the truck is driving nicer. That sort of thing always helps keep a smile on my face.
No, I haven't figured that out quite yet. Since it's running much better, I'm not going to take the carb off until sometime later to look it over.

I also want to double check the timing soon.
Sam has baseball all day tomorrow, so we will see when I can get that done.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:12 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Joe, as I was reading your post about all the good things you said about your truck, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. I thought you were going to tell us that it didn't start or left you sitting along the road some where. So happy ending! Great story and I am happy for you! Now get your son moving on that bed. You would not be allowed to drive a truck around with open wheels like that in PA, by the way.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:26 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Hey abe, I took the truck out again before the Nebraska game started (We are up 10-7 at half over Northwestern). I saw two cops on the drive, they both looked me over close, but didn't turn around.

On that drive, I took my dog along for the ride. He likes going in our cars, I think we was a little overwhelmed with the truck though. He stayed pretty close to me.

He did venture to the window briefly.

Here are a couple of through the windshield pictures:

The gravel was rough. I think I will stick to pavement for a while. I figure the bed will help the ride a little with that extra weight. All worn out rubber doesn't help the noise of the cab.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread