1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 08:58 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Oh yeah, after shocks and my repaired seat. (I used a wooden bench for my seat today.) I need to get rubber to seal up the doors and lots of other things.

The cowl vent sure makes a big difference. I did get pretty warm today.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:07 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Here is a video of me getting on it a little. I think I got up to about 45 mph.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:49 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Whew! I though you did something really stupid, like spinning your tires in those stones with your light rear end and losing control and running down the prize winning rosebushes. Or denting a fender or bumper by running into your wife's car.

I have tried to start the truck with out having the key on before so don't feel so bad..... but after a couple of seconds I notice it and turn the key.��

Old 07-16-2016, 10:08 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I was just thinking.... is it legal to drive in Pennsylvania without a bed on your truck? Would it pass inspection without a bed?

Thanks for the pics Joe.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:43 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
I wish I had figured that out in a couple of seconds. Most of my stupid mistakes haven't cost me too much. Most likely because I'm paranoid I will screw something up so I'm extra cautious.

Good question about not having a bed. I'm not really sure. My quick google search wasn't clear. I probably would be ok if I had mud flaps....which I will need anyway, gotta put that on the list.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:48 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
How's your bed coming along?

Old 07-17-2016, 07:07 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
How's your bed coming along?
It's not at the moment. I've been busy with family stuff and my mother in law threw away the replacement parts I had made when she was cleaning out their garage.
So, my plan is to have Sam and a classmate fix up this one and also build me a new one. I can then sell this old one...or have a spare.
I will most likely have them use frame rails from here:
Pocket Rails for Flatbed Trucks and Trailers
I don't think our school shop has the equipment to make this style of rail.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:13 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
looks like a great plan. Having your son make the bed will definately be a memory maker for both of you. I've been thinking about looking for a Jr College to take a painting class at so I can paint my trucks

Old 07-17-2016, 10:40 AM
Cobwebman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe, they're no stupid mistakes, just a lapse of logical thought.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:52 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Just remember Joe, A bad day with your Truck is still better than a good day at work! As far as needing a bed to make it legal.....throw a sheet of plywood on the frame, fasten it down, and and go raise a little hell!

Old 07-17-2016, 09:44 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Absolutely Dave!!!!

It was a fun weekend. Although after church and Mexican for lunch, I was wiped out and didn't accomplish much. I'm guessing I got a little overheated yesterday. (And Mexican can put you to sleep as well.)

My MIL has her cousin visiting, so this evening before putting her back in the garage, my daughter and I took it over so they could take a look at current progress.
Well, I still don't have a choke cable. Boy I need that and the carb adjusted. I think I'm getting about 2 mpg.
So, my gas gauge showed it was low, so I grabbed the gas can as we went out. The truck dies coming to a stop and wouldn't start. I put more gas in and that seemed to fix it.

Then, I decide to stop by and get gas on the way home. I put in 7 gallons and I can't get it started. Fortunately I have my remote starting switch. I climb out and start it from under the hood adjusting the choke. (Did I say I need to put the choke cable in.)

We get to the four way (We have one stoplight in town) and it dies. I can't get it started. So I hop out and open the hood and get it started right quick. (Did I mention the choke cable?) Driving down the road, lights work just fine, a Highway Patrol car came up the other direction. He didn't turn around, maybe he was coming home getting off of shift or I'm good.

Needless to say, I need to do some tuning before I go too much more.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:05 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Not anything to report on my truck, but I had a good weekend last weekend.
We went up to Lincoln Nebraska to move my daughter from one apartment to another.
It was a pretty easy move since she didn't have much stuff.
Dave (df85732) drove in to help. We were all greeted with a bedroom that was a mess. Dave and I quickly moved the big stuff out and let my wife deal with the messy junk of a room that was supposed to be ready to move.
We got done by 10AM so Dave and I slipped out to go to his house and check out his truck. I can't tell you how enjoyable it is to talk trucks with a fellow FTE'r and look all over his truck and work. I just wished we had time to pick up some tools and make some progress on his truck. I did get a chance to hear it run, which was very smooth. So smooth compared to mine that I'm considering taking my carb to someone to tune.

Thanks Dave for all your help, you made the weekend so much better. It's also nice to know that my daughter is in his fire protection district.

Sunday morning (before the rain hit) we traveled out to Elizabeth's office. It's much nicer than mine. It was neat to see the fruits (literally) of her passion. Some day she hopes to have her own vineyard.

I didn't get a picture of Dave and I together but I did take a couple of pictures to help my build. Here is one of the horn placement. I forgot where mine went and I'm not sure I have a picture.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:36 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
I spent a little time in the garage today.
I got the choke cable installed and changed the oil. I only have about 30 miles on it, but it had been several years. When I started it back up the oil pressure held more constant.

Previously the oil pump would drip a little oil. I put a little sealant on the bolts and I think that is helping, but it's too soon to tell.

Of course there is bad news. It seems I have a small coolant leak out of one of the freeze plugs. It's just a slow drip while running, but it needs to be taken care of soon. My last work with a freeze plug was in my 1983 Nissan Sentra which had 230,000 miles. I could never get one to stay in. So, I need to look that up closely so I can do it right.
I figure I probably should change the block drain while I'm at it. I already replaced the one on the other side.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:05 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Looks like it's not that bad to get to. I changed both of my block drains while rebuilding my 292. Not sure why but one side drains better than the other.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:55 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Hi Joe! Finally getting a little time to go over you build page. Thanks for all the nice compliments after our little "meet and move" event! Wish I didn't have to rush off to that Wedding, but you know how it goes? Got to keep the other half happy! I have replaced two of the freeze plugs in my 239. One about 25 years ago and one last fall when I started working on my truck. I was able to purchase them at O'Rielly's and they were a snap to put in. Just make sure you clean it good and of course get it started straight. As far as the leaky Oil pump, is it hard to take off and put on a new gasket. Mine is leaking pretty bad and I was thinking of pulling it to put on a new gasket. I plan to do a little research here on FTE and the internet tomorrow. Oh yea, I'm so glad you finally got that Choke cable on! It's about time!

Quick Reply: 55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread