1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 762 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
If it's only two prongs, it might get its ground through the body. If you're testing it and it's not touching the frame, it probably won't work. Just a thought as to why it did work, and then quit.
Yep, that's it. I had thought possibly that I needed to have the flasher body connecting to ground, but that did nothing. So, I pulled it back off and hooked it straight to the battery and it started flashing.

So, since I currently only have the dash lights hooked up, I'm assuming I don't have a good ground there for the flasher. Next step is to finish hooking up the taillights (almost done there.) and maybe that ground will be enough.... Earlier I had hooked up the right rear and the light didn't come on. That was a ground issue, but I fixed that so the light would come on, but the flasher didn't engage. Well, I will be sure the circuit is complete and try it again.

I did have to grind off some paint on the taillight brackets. The taillight body is the ground, so now that should ground well. I should be able to spend a couple of hours in the garage in an hour or two.

Another thing, I might just have to run out to O'Reilly's and get their crimping tool. I'm using pliers now and it seems to be working, but having the proper tool might make the connections more solid. Considering when I tried to pull the flasher off, it pulled the terminal from the wire. It was so tight, I don't think a crimping tool would make much a difference but you can never have too many tools. The $30 gave me pause yesterday when I was in there.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
Yep, that's it. I had thought possibly that I needed to have the flasher body connecting to ground, but that did nothing. So, I pulled it back off and hooked it straight to the battery and it started flashing.

So, since I currently only have the dash lights hooked up, I'm assuming I don't have a good ground there for the flasher. Next step is to finish hooking up the taillights (almost done there.) and maybe that ground will be enough.... Earlier I had hooked up the right rear and the light didn't come on. That was a ground issue, but I fixed that so the light would come on, but the flasher didn't engage. Well, I will be sure the circuit is complete and try it again.

I did have to grind off some paint on the taillight brackets. The taillight body is the ground, so now that should ground well. I should be able to spend a couple of hours in the garage in an hour or two.

Another thing, I might just have to run out to O'Reilly's and get their crimping tool. I'm using pliers now and it seems to be working, but having the proper tool might make the connections more solid. Considering when I tried to pull the flasher off, it pulled the terminal from the wire. It was so tight, I don't think a crimping tool would make much a difference but you can never have too many tools. The $30 gave me pause yesterday when I was in there.
Yes, you should have a good crimper. And I crimp the connectors as hard as I can and then pull the wire as hard as I can. But that's just me.

Bobby, (bobbytnm) posted in my thread that he solders all the connections, and I agree that is better than crimping. But I didn't want to take the time to do that when I was replacing all the wiring in the truck.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:14 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I solder all connections too. If you don't have enough amperage draw your old type flasher won't flash. This also means if you install LED bulbs it won't flash.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:49 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Yes, you should have a good crimper. And I crimp the connectors as hard as I can and then pull the wire as hard as I can. But that's just me.

Bobby, (bobbytnm) posted in my thread that he solders all the connections, and I agree that is better than crimping. But I didn't want to take the time to do that when I was replacing all the wiring in the truck.
Got myself a good crimper. It does make it much easier to get a solid connection.
I'm with you on the soldering. Since I'm replacing everything I'm not messing with soldering.

Originally Posted by 38 coupe
I solder all connections too. If you don't have enough amperage draw your old type flasher won't flash. This also means if you install LED bulbs it won't flash.
I hadn't thought of that. I don't have everything wired in this circuit and currently have 12v bulbs in the taillights. I will get everything wired properly then see what the flasher does.

My mid fifty shipment should arrive today. Of course I just looked at the order and I forgot to increase the quantity of some wiring grommets I ordered. Hopefully I can find some at the local hardware stores. I'm pretty sure, with the proper size in hand, I can find some good ones.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:21 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Well I missed Truckstock, but I did get to watch my daughter run a cross country meet.
My Husker pride is growing as I get older.

I also got parts in the mail the other day.
Windsheld and rear window rubber, pedals, and some electrical parts. All I have to do is find time to get them done. I think the trunk will look completely different with some clean glass in it. I will finish the wiring first though.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:30 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
What was her time? How did she place?

Old 09-21-2015, 09:55 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by abe
What was her time? How did she place?
She ran 23:59 for 6K. She was not too happy with her time. But, her goal was to be in the top 7 of the team. She was 6th girl and only 13 seconds from the 4th girl.
She was 54th out of 204 runners.
Next up for her is October 3rd at University of Kansas. That is only 3 hours from us to it will be easier to get to.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:52 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Go Big Red!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 10-20-2015, 09:08 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Well last week I made a little progress. I picked up a transmission for BJ, so on Columbus day he came to pick it up. So, I held the transmission hostage and forced him to help me out.

We installed the windshield and rear window. The windshield is new, the rear window is original. I haven't put the sealer in yet. Mid fifty warns that it will take at least a roll of paper towels.....

Be sure to line up the glass just right before you start pulling the rope to get it installed. Lots of soapy water helped.

BJ brought me a beat up old bumper that goes perfect with how my truck currently looks.

We then tackled wiring. We have the tail lights, front parking lights all working with turn signals. The wires are run for the headlights, I just need to finish the headlight relay and dimmer switch and I will be ready to roll.

Oh, and grounds, I need more grounds. Cab to frame and block to frame.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:16 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Had a great time! We always get something done when I drop by. Now to figure out how to install the OD Tranny. But first I gotta get the heads back on the ole 272.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:29 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Joe,
You are much too organized! It's cheating to use
flowcharts & wiring diagrams - you need to just wing it!

Looking good over there in Missouri. Nice to see members helping out!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 10-20-2015, 09:51 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
It's hard to express how nice it is to have someone knowledgeable come and help.
It was so nice to talk through all this work with BJ.

Ben, you wouldn't believe how long I have fretted over the wiring diagram. There is no diagram for our trucks that include the turn signals, so I drew that one up myself. It was more to help me learn than anything. It is really fairly straight forward, but I over analyze it all when it comes to my truck.

After looking over the truck, BJ convinced me that I need to replace the spring pins and bushings. I knew I needed to, but just got reinforcement. Of course the F250 kit is three times the cost of the F100 kit....go figure.

Last weekend was spent traveling to Peoria to watch my oldest run at Bradley. She ran a 23 second 6K pr (22:57) and made the Big 10 team. So it looks like Nov 1, we will be in Chicago at Northwestern.
Monday we traveled to St. Louis for my son's checkup after his elbow surgery. The surgeons trainer, looked him over and said that his surgery was more involved than Tommy John surgery, so he didn't check the elbow out. He left that to the doctor. Sam got a good report and is on phase two of recovery. He now has a 10 lb weight limit and doesn't have to wear the brace. If all goes well, by January he should be able to swing a bat and do some catching drills.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:59 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Here is the bike tool I used to get the rubber on the glass.
It was very helpful. I used to have three of them which would have helped more...

Old 10-20-2015, 10:02 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Joe, don't you have the original bumper? Yes, you sure don't want to put a shiny new bumper on your truck!

Old 10-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by abe
Joe, don't you have the original bumper? Yes, you sure don't want to put a shiny new bumper on your truck!
Well I did. It was bent up so my wife's grandpa and uncle took it to straighten it out. They both passed away and the bumper seems to be lost. The son of the uncle isn't on the best terms with my mother in law, so there isn't much hope of it ever being found.

Quick Reply: 55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread