1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 10:06 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Joe,
My wife was an expert at snapping clutch cables - always seemed to be on
the busiest streets in town. I couldn't figure out what she was doing - I gave up & went automatic after the third one. She's been happily driving automatics for 30 years ever since. I think an AOD might fit behind that engine - just saying....

Looking good in Missouri! If Mizzou get's to the championship game - please beat Alabama! I think that's Baylor's only hope of cracking the final 4.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
You can put a AOD behind a Y-Block but get your pocketbook out! Ford Y-Block Transmission Adapters

Old 11-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Ben, I snapped my clutch cable on my 83 Nissan Sentra once. I called the shop and they said I could drive it without the clutch to the shop. When I came stoplights, I would turn the car off, get it in gear and start her up with a jerk. That was an interesting few miles.

Now for Missouri. Boy it's tough for me. I grew up in Missouri and went to school at Nebraska. My wife spent a couple of years at KU. So we cheer for KU basketball, Nebraska football, and Missouri gets cheered on every once in a while. I tend to support all the old Big 8 teams (even Oklahoma sometimes). Oh and my father in law is a big Mizzou basketball fan. Lots of razzing goes on between my son, wife and F-I-L.

Since Nebraska is sucking air now in football, we will cheer on Mizzou a little more.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:16 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
You can put a AOD behind a Y-Block but get your pocketbook out! Ford Y-Block Transmission Adapters
Ouch, that's pricey. It would also push me to the darkside. Can't to that. Maybe on my next truck. (At my current pace that looks to be about 20 years out. )

Old 12-03-2014, 03:22 PM
ford_pickup
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, awesome build, I just read the whole thread and while it took quite some time it was worth it, I look forward to seeing progress

Old 12-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
Since Nebraska is sucking air now in football, we will cheer on Mizzou a little more.
Well, after that game on Friday with the last second win and Bo Pelini getting the ax, I'd say things are about to change for Nebraska.

We're currently staying with our son-in-law's parents in Virginia, and I watched that game on Friday with his dad, who is an outright Nebraska fanatic. It was an interesting experience.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Yeah, those Nebraska fans are something else. When I was running at Nebraska, we would get up on Saturday mornings for a long run at around 8:00. The fans would already be there for an afternoon game. Memorial stadium is the 3rd largest city in Nebraska on game day.

Firing Bo was interesting. Getting blown out a couple of times this year and not being able to win championships did him in. His sideline demeanor didn't help either. Average 9 wins a year and get canned. Tough crowd.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ford_pickup
Wow, awesome build, I just read the whole thread and while it took quite some time it was worth it, I look forward to seeing progress
Wow! I bet that took a while. Thanks.
Progress has been slow lately. Hopefully I will start moving forward again soon.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:39 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Yeah, those Nebraska fans are something else. When I was running at Nebraska, we would get up on Saturday mornings for a long run at around 8:00. The fans would already be there for an afternoon game. Memorial stadium is the 3rd largest city in Nebraska on game day.

Firing Bo was interesting. Getting blown out a couple of times this year and not being able to win championships did him in. His sideline demeanor didn't help either. Average 9 wins a year and get canned. Tough crowd.
Same thing happens when Penn State has a home football game. State College, PA (location of PSU) becomes the 3rd largest city in PA after Philly and Pittsburgh.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Well I've had a little progress. It was pretty much all spring related.
My broken clutch return spring has been replaced and while I was at it I got the brake return spring. The original is still in good shape, but better safe than sorry. Now I just need some nice weather on a weekend to go for a test drive.

I also got the hood latch spring, so now I can latch my hood properly. I also got the hood hinge spring tool. I must be a wimp, but even with that it was a challenge to get the hinge springs back to their original position. With that and the new hood hinge bolts I now have a hood that holds open properly and closes better that it was. I still have to push the hood down at the cowl, but not near as much and it is easier.

Four of the five in my household got the flu this year. My son and I a couple of weeks ago, then over Christmas my wife and youngest got it. They had to stay at home Christmas day and not visit grandparents.

Next up is getting my oldest off to college. She is transferring from Missouri Southern in Joplin to the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. It's a huge change for her, but she really wants to get into Horticulture. Transferring at semester is very difficult because of the short time between semesters.

It's a good thing my truck is patient.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:47 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Well I've had a little progress. It was pretty much all spring related.
My broken clutch return spring has been replaced and while I was at it I got the brake return spring. The original is still in good shape, but better safe than sorry. Now I just need some nice weather on a weekend to go for a test
Next up is getting my oldest off to college. She is transferring from Missouri Southern in Joplin to the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. It's a huge change for her, but she really wants to get into Horticulture. Transferring at semester is very difficult because of the short time between semesters.

It's a good thing my truck is patient.
Is she going to run at Nebraska?

Old 12-29-2014, 05:51 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by abe
Is she going to run at Nebraska?
She sure is. She is nervous about the step up in competition, but she has less pressure to perform. Also, the head distance coach at Nebraska was my high school coach my first 3 years. Then he went to Nebraska as an assistant and I went to run there. My distance coach retired recently, and Coach Harris returned to take over the distance coaching.

It's a big change from 5,500 students to 26,000, but the agriculture campus which is about 3 miles away from the main campus only has 2,200 students. She will live on the main campus to make it easier to get to practice. They have shuttle buses running continually between the campuses.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:17 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Joe,
Go big red!! My daughter just got in up there at Nebraska. It's tempting as we have good friends in Lincoln for support. Still waiting for more replies before she makes up her mind. It's a beautiful campus. We miss you guys in the Big 12 - nicest fans ever.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 12-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
I miss the Big 12 as well. I really miss the Big 8, I was out of college before they shifted to the Big 12. Lincoln is a great place, I really enjoyed my college experience up there. Picking a college sure is a tough choice. If your daughter ends up at Nebraska, we need to meet up in Lincoln sometime.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:47 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Well we went over to my sister in laws house with her two kids and their 5 total with my 3 add Gwen's parents and you have a pretty full house.
My sister in law and her husband build a stage in their basement for the kids. They gave a performance today. In the picture, notice the ipad. The guy watching the event is one of the dads who is in Afghanistan right now. Fortunately, they get to talk about every day, but I know it's hard for him not being able to be there. At least he can see what's going on.

They had a concession stand and handed out money so we could buy things from it after the show.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:51 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Now for the truck. I went out and was playing with the hood and it now closes almost completely at the cowl. working with it a little more I think I will about have it without having to push the back end down.

But, I have a question about the hood safety latch. It is too far forward, so I have to hold it while I push the hood down. Notice in the picture, I put a little spacer and that gives it enough room to close and latch without me holding it. So, am I missing an adjustment somewhere? I loosened the bolts, but it won't push back any more.

Quick Reply: 55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread