1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
It looks good. I like to see the elbow pipe in there rather than a big old flexible radiator hose.
Yeah, I really don't like the look of the flexible hose.

On another note, my 15 year old son came out to the garage to check things out. He was gone all day yesterday. I explained the radiator support bar and fender braces that I was working on and then came the question/comment: "So, I can drive this to school when I turn 16, right?"

I might have to let him....someday....
That brings up a question I will need to research. What is required to get it licensed and able to drive without being stopped....well, without being ticketed at least? I know every state is different, so I will need to talk to the authorities.

I figure windshield and doors aren't required. But, brake lights and possibly mirrors? If I don't drive at night or in the rain, I wouldn't think headlights are....but if I wire up brake lights I will have bought the wiring harness....

Gotta get new tires....Oh man....the disease has flared up big time now.
Gotta figure out how to get it out of the garage easily.....I like stock, but I might just have to remove some leaves....I don't think shorter tires would look to good....

Old 08-17-2014, 07:13 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
If I've ever heard of a valid reason to chop a top, you have it. PLEASE forgive me, guys. I just had to say it. Really didn't mean it.

You're right about requirements differing in each state. I would suspect your driver license manual might be a good place to investigate required equipment.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:44 PM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 554 Likes on 266 Posts
I have a 10' x 10' garage door where we keep the camper. I have to let the air out to 20 lbs to get it in. The old camper didn't have an air conditioner on top. Been doing it for 9 years now. Dennis

Old 08-17-2014, 08:02 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier

That brings up a question I will need to research. What is required to get it licensed and able to drive without being stopped....well, without being ticketed at least? I know every state is different, so I will need to talk to the authorities.
Go to your local inspection station and ask them. I didn't have a MO title and had to have a police/highway patrolman verify my VIN to even get a title. My 56 Pickup didn't need an inspection???? So I'm not sure what has to be there.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by raytasch
If I've ever heard of a valid reason to chop a top, you have it.
Yeah, my buddy Steve mentioned that. I could see the conversation at a car show. "How much did you chop your top?" "Well, I had to be able to get it in the garage so I just measured how much I needed and chopped there."

I think I would get those ugly low profile tires before I tried to chop. But then I would have to get 20" rims too, so I might not save much.

It is an issue I need to figure out though. Letting the air out of the tires each time won't work for too long. And new radials might not drop as much as 50 year old bias plys. (Yeah, that scares me a little too.)

Old 08-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Go to your local inspection station and ask them. I didn't have a MO title and had to have a police/highway patrolman verify my VIN to even get a title. My 56 Pickup didn't need an inspection???? So I'm not sure what has to be there.
Good thinking. I was planning on stopping by the tire shop and discuss tires with them. They do inspections as well. I will ask them then. I don't think I need an inspection, but there are things that are required.

Boy, I never thought I would be having discussions like this for several years. Thanks!!!

I need to ask about insurance as well. I will talk with my insurance agent first before I try the ones that specialize in it.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by pintoplumber
I have a 10' x 10' garage door where we keep the camper. I have to let the air out to 20 lbs to get it in. The old camper didn't have an air conditioner on top. Been doing it for 9 years now. Dennis
Well it's good to know I'm not alone. Gotta get me an air compressor. There's another reason to buy more tools.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:35 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Look what I just found in my tool box!
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  172.8 KB
I'll get it in the mail ASAP!

Old 08-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
I was looking all over for that yesterday. Of course these trucks use only two sizes 9/16 and 1/2.
Amazing, it doesn't have any undercoating on it. My ratchets did, so I was scraping that off yesterday too. Yeah, yesterday was a recover and clean up day.

I got the seat bolted down and I just sat in the truck for a bit. Well then I started up the engine for a minute too...

Old 08-18-2014, 10:50 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Harrier
I was looking all over for that yesterday. Of course these trucks use only two sizes 9/16 and 1/2.
Amazing, it doesn't have any undercoating on it. My ratchets did, so I was scraping that off yesterday too. Yeah, yesterday was a recover and clean up day.

I got the seat bolted down and I just sat in the truck for a bit. Well then I started up the engine for a minute too...

You got the fever now

Old 08-18-2014, 10:56 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Forgot to ask is the undercoating still tacky?

Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Forgot to ask is the undercoating still tacky?
I need to go check. Maybe I should take the afternoon off and go home to check it out.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:01 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Now I know you go the BUG

Old 08-18-2014, 12:03 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do ya own the garage? I have jacked up the walls and put a short wall
under them to raise them some. It's not like a house and was not that hard
to to on the two I have done.
Also THEY just passed the law that head lights are required to be illuminated
24/7 in Alaska now. Several States are doing this I think.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
The garage is part of the house, so lifting it isn't an option. My inlaws have a garage that will hold it. Maybe I could store my FIL's 1904 Minneapolis Moline and they can house the truck. They live less than a mile away. Hmmmm...that might be an option once it's street legal.

Quick Reply: 55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread