1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 09:02 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
That is awesome to have an FTE Friend stop by to assist, err... maybe he led and you assisted.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:27 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
We got it undercoated.

We then hoisted it up and set it on the frame. It was a bearcat getting the rear mounts on. We had to line up the second bolt just right. Steve and I were lifting the cab from all different angles while BJ was trying to line the holes up just right. Once we got the rear, the font cab mount bolts went in very easy. It was a little sticky since the undercoating wasn't very dry. It's got plenty of time to dry now.

We removed the steering column, emergency brake lever and gear shift lever. We left the pedals on.
Well then we got to thinking...hey, we can put the fenders on as well.
While we were doing this, it started raining a bit.

Next was getting it into the garage. That sounds simple but it's not. Now that the cab is on, the truck is about 2" too tall. So we let a lot of air out of the tires so it just cleared the garage door. I haven't figured out how I'm going to handle that. Maybe some lower profile tires, remove a few leaves, let air out of the tires every time I want to move it out of the garage....my 40 year old tires wont handle letting air out and refilling on a regular basis. Of course they won't handle much of anything really....
Here she is in the garage.

BJ's shirt was wet and dirty so I gave him one that I had laying around. I actually have a box of these shirts. So if anyone wants to come and help me, you can get a free T-shirt.

What an amazing day. I don't know how I can every repay BJ for all his hard work.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by abe
That is awesome to have an FTE Friend stop by to assist, err... maybe he led and you assisted.
Yeah, he was definitely leading. I'm not sure how good I was at assisting, but I sure learned a lot.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
We also set the seat in and fastened the steering column to the cab.

Oh, I don't have all the bolts in the for the fenders, but I will be getting that done soon.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:01 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
I must say it was a fun day. But any day I'm working an ole Ford F100 is a great day.
Thanks for the pulled pork and the Zillion bottles of water! I didn't realize it got as hot as it did. When I left around 6:30 PM my truck showed it still being 85. After the 2 plus hour drive my pants were still wet from the rain.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
I often get frustrated with my lack of progress. Family events come first so my truck often sits. Today reminded my why I love this stuff. I saw a frame and engine begin to really become a truck today. BJ, I'm glad to see you made it home safe and sound. If your wife is like mine, she sent you straight to the shower. I got the "Man, you stink." line as well.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:14 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
I'm like a well trained Dog that gets its feet muddy. Nothing needs to be said I just head for the shower.

I was surprised how dirty I was. I guess all that grinding (even after hosing off) got us pretty funky.

On a serious note don't forget ALL the body bolts are lose! I'd hate for you to take a little victory cruise and a fender fall off.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:09 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
This is what the old truck hobby is about. Looks like you guys had fun. Thumbs up and reps for BJ.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Definite reps to BJ. Thanks for the reminder on the bolts, I'm looking for more as we speak.
I need to sit down today and asses where I am now. It's a whole new world.

Oh yeah, victory cruise! I need to plan that out. I have to take one as a shakeout run before the parade on September 20th.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:03 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Harrier
Definite reps to BJ. Thanks for the reminder on the bolts, I'm looking for more as we speak.
I need to sit down today and asses where I am now. It's a whole new world.

Oh yeah, victory cruise! I need to plan that out. I have to take one as a shakeout run before the parade on September 20th.
Don't forget you'll need more coolant too! I'll let you share that story.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:23 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Don't forget you'll need more coolant too! I'll let you share that story.
Do tell, please!

And you gotta do something about that seat!!

Old 08-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by abe
Do tell, please!

And you gotta do something about that seat!!
Well, we were moving the truck into the garage. The trouble is that it's about 2 to 3 inches too tall. So, we let enough air out of the tires to just squeeze under the door. We got the cab in and BJ suggested I drive it in the rest of the way. (It's hard pushing a truck with very low tires.)

I hop in the truck and start it up....Well I hooked up the throttle linkage so now I have a gas pedal (sort of). I pushed the gas and it got stuck in the opening of the transmission cover and revved big. At that point we had water everywhere. That can set of a panic. Good news though. Since I don't have a heater I put some cheap caps on the two heater points. The upper cap just popped off. We found the cap and started her up and finished getting her in the garage.

So....I think I will take a section of heater hose and connect the two ends and clamp them down. I really don't want that happening in the parade.

One good thing is that I have been using just water for now. I have been draining and refilling about every time I take it out for a drive.

By the way, does anyone have a good location for the heater shutoff valve? Mine is stuck open. No big deal now, but one of these days I will need to replace it.

Here is the valve and the cap. Right in front of the carb.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:33 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Joe, where did you get the elbow radiator pipe? It looks too good to be the original. Did you get one made at a muffler shop?

Old 08-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by abe
Joe, where did you get the elbow radiator pipe? It looks too good to be the original. Did you get one made at a muffler shop?
Yep, I just took my original to a...Well, my dad new a guy. I think it was a muffler shop. He just bent a pile of the same size to match.

Here are the two pipes side by side.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:29 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

It looks good. I like to see the elbow pipe in there rather than a big old flexible radiator hose.

Quick Reply: 55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread