1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Well, I got the other half of the u-joint out just fine.
I've tried pressing it back through but it is just not fitting in there. It is starting to damage the yoke a little trying to press it back through. I think I'm going to have to take it to someone that has a good press and knows what they are doing. Wish I would have started on the other end. I would never had to mess with this end that is causing me issues.....

Old 12-30-2013, 10:43 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Are you doing this in a cold garage? Try heating the yoke gently with a propane torch, then give it a good whack.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:14 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Are you doing this in a cold garage? Try heating the yoke gently with a propane torch, then give it a good whack.
I can't see my breath, but you can't be out there long without a jacket.

Propane torch....another reason to visit my dad...I really should go buy one they can come in handy. Getting tools is a slow process for me just like the progress on my truck.

Well I guess I will come out of the closet and show my redneck press.
My vice is too small so I got to thinking what I could use. Well, my truck came to mind. It's not quite heavy enough, so I would jack it up about 1/4 of an inch and let it settle. It worked slick although it took extra long. Getting everything lined up was a challenge.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:20 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Now that is innovation. Whatever works. I can believe a person could easily spend more on tools than on the truck if he had to start from scratch.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:14 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Joe,
Was that red plastic thing your poor old dog's bowl?

I like the creativity!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 12-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Joe,
Was that red plastic thing your poor old dog's bowl?

I like the creativity!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
That is actually a magnetic tray. It gave me a little better platform for the socket as well as giving me an extra hand. The socket would stay in place as I got everything lined up.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I call that brilliant! What was it Clint said in Heartbreak Ridge? "We're Marines, sir. We're paid to adapt, to improvise."

I like your press!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:26 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember that one on the roadside. I've used a High-Lift jack and my car frame. Then I started carrying a large C-clamp. That darned Nova ate u-joint to the tune of three or more a year. But, it would launch like a beast.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:56 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
I call that brilliant! What was it Clint said in Heartbreak Ridge? "We're Marines, sir. We're paid to adapt, to improvise."

I like your press!
Originally Posted by The Horvaths
Remember that one on the roadside. I've used a High-Lift jack and my car frame. Then I started carrying a large C-clamp. That darned Nova ate u-joint to the tune of three or more a year. But, it would launch like a beast.
Thanks guys I appreciate it.
Jeremy, it sounds like you launched that Nova a lot.
Did that fall under the lifetime warranty of u-joints?

Well I went out at lunch and got a torch. Now if I could only get out of tonight's plans....oh well, my wife isn't excited about tonight and told her family that she has to come home tonight, so I will get some time in the garage tomorrow.

I appreciate all your suggestions and encouragement.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:27 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Gotta vent for a minute.
I've torn this truck apart, started putting everything back together without ever doing anything like this before, got the engine cleaned up and running after 40 years of sitting. And now simple U-joints are causing me all sorts of frustration.

I got the piece that connects to the transmission out just fine. I tried heating the yoke and the cup still won't budge. It's possible I got my heat too close to the cup as well. Then I go and drop one of the other cups and needle bearing flew. Joe, how did you cut your u-joint? It looks like a slick cut. I probably don't have those tools though.

Well, then I figure I will just put one of the other u-joints on. I get one side in just fine. The other side is in, but it still needs to go down about a millimeter to fully expose the groove for the clip. I can't get that to budge any further. Time to find someone with a press.

Well, I can look on the bright side. By the time I'm done, I will be very good at dealing with U-joints. Shoot, this sounds very similar to my brakes.

Well off to work while the kids sleep in because school was cancelled because of a dusting of snow. (maybe an inch)

Old 01-02-2014, 08:03 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If that cup on the U-joint won't go all the way in, you should check to make sure that you don't have one of the needle bearings laying in the bottom of the cup.

I have had this happen before....those little devils will test your patience!!

Dan

Old 01-02-2014, 10:01 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I hate to tell you at this point, but most shops charge a very nominal fee to put in new u-joints, especially on a carry-in shaft...

Old 01-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by old_dan
If that cup on the U-joint won't go all the way in, you should check to make sure that you don't have one of the needle bearings laying in the bottom of the cup.

I have had this happen before....those little devils will test your patience!!

Dan
That's kind of what I was thinking. I was hoping not though.

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I hate to tell you at this point, but most shops charge a very nominal fee to put in new u-joints, especially on a carry-in shaft...
Yeah, I'm sure it wouldn't cost too much. I was just hoping to be able to do this myself and learn some more. Not having the proper tools puts me at a disadvantage though. I will probably run them out to a shop when I get a chance. I think I will remove the one and see if a needle bearing did in fact slip.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Well, I had to come home to take my oldest to a Doctor appointment and there was a nice package that had been delivered.
I got my drag link repair kit and my crankcase breather screen.
Funny thing about the breather screen, I looked at all the local stores online and couldn't find it, so I bought it online. When it arrived it turns out to be a WIX 42841. O'Reilly's has those, they just say they don't fit my truck. And it was even cheaper at O'Reilly's. I can't verify that they can get it in the store but it is available online.

So, for future searchers. Here is the cross reference for the Crankcase Breather Screen.
Ford Part Number: B2TZ-6A631-A
This includes the gasket B7A-6870-A
Replacement part is: WIX 42841

WIX says this filter is for Ford Cars and Trucks 1952-1963

Being curious I tried to find cross references the NAPA filter is: FIL 2841
That was the only other one I could find in my short search.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Well progress. I don't know if it is a privilege or curse for you guys to have to watch me learn.
I pulled the U-joint back out and there was a needle bearing in the bottom. I got that back in place and tried to put the ujoint back on. Well I did it again this time I actually broke a needle bearing. I just took a cap from the other u-joint that is still stuck. Third times a charm, I now have one U-joint in and working slick.

For the broken needle bearing, I thought I would try one of the bearings from my old u-joints. Well they are actually thicker and shorter.... I look at it this way. It cost me one u-joint to get a lot more knowledge on how to remove and install them. That's pretty cheap I would say.

Now on to getting the other one out. I have an idea on heating it so it will move. The first time I think I heated the cap to much as well. Hopefully I will have a chance this weekend to try again. Hopefully that will go smoother as well.

Anyone reading this thread looking for answers. An old dog can learn new tricks. Patience and persistence. Until the next simple thing trips me up.

Quick Reply: 55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread