55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread - Page 110 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 09:13 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by abe View Post
BJ, so your painter wants to take your truck to a show????
Well now that you say it, Does seem odd. But I’ll agree to anything to get it done.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:17 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2 View Post
Well now that you say it, Does seem odd. But Iíll agree to anything to get it done.
Just make sure you get it back!

Old 02-21-2019, 09:20 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by abe View Post
Just make sure you get it back!
Oh I plan on it.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:27 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Dennis Carpenter has me so mad I can't see straight. I bought the steering rebuild kit from them. Mac's was on back order and MidFifty's shipping is outrageous.
I get the shipment in today and before I open the box I know there is a problem. The box is little, so there is no steering shaft. I open the packing slip and it says gear less shaft. <insert many cuss words here>
So, I just lost shipping costs (I doubt they will refund that) and I either have to pay $48 in shipping from mid fifty or $15 from Macs and wait until April.
The kit I ordered from DC is the only one they have listed. It was $10 cheaper than the others, but that shaft with the gear on is worth $100 more.

On a good note the front hub grease cap fits. The catalogs say it is for 45-47 trucks, but that is incorrect it goes all the way to 56.
DC is on eastern time, so I will have to wait until tomorrow.
Dang, they also shorted me a bushing their kit also doesn't include the adjusting screw and nut. The instructions say to toss your old one because oil leaks out the channel for the start lock.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:35 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
We gotta get our stuff in one sock. Art’s got the motor out of his truck to install a MII frontend, I can’t get my truck outta the bodyshop and your steering gear is cheesed up. Is an F-100 the same? I’ve got a box that’s out of the 56 in the bodyshop. Not sure it’s the best but if you could use it to get back on the road until you get yours figured out I’d be glad to loan it to ya.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:36 PM
pintoplumber
Elder User
pintoplumber is a splendid one to beholdpintoplumber is a splendid one to beholdpintoplumber is a splendid one to beholdpintoplumber is a splendid one to beholdpintoplumber is a splendid one to beholdpintoplumber is a splendid one to behold
Joe, a good machine shop can press your old gear off and press the new one on. That would save you time. Dennis

Old 02-26-2019, 06:41 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Well, it shouldn't take too long to put it back together. I want a new shaft because the threads on mine aren't the best at the steering wheel side.
A machine shop will probably charge 50 to 100 dollars to press the the gear on. I wasn't 100% certain I would replace the bushings, but I want that choice as well.
I will most likely bite the bullet and pay the MidFifty shipping. Although I'm out the $15 from DC plus return shipping....

Thanks BJ, I will hold off until I get the correct parts. It's just annoying.
It doesn't help I've been stuck in all day meeting this week, tomorrow is another full day.....

Old 02-26-2019, 10:08 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
I just checked some prices. DC sells the kit $10 less than Mac's and MidFifty, but DC doesn't include the shaft.
The worm gear with shaft is abut $140 more than just the worm gear when bought individually. Grrrrr......Sounds like DC is just trying to rip people off. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say tomorrow.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:08 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Well I think I have things on the right track. I totaled up the individual parts from the DC kit and I could have bought them individually $30 cheaper than the kit cost. The return guy didn't appreciate me. He did offer to cover the shipping as well, so that's good.
I then called Mac's back and they think they can have the kit in a couple of weeks. The price they quoted me was $30 less than the price on their web site. I asked a couple of times about the parts in the kit. Here is hoping that all goes smooth. I guess this will give me time to clean up the wiring under the dash. It's a mess.
I really need to pull the doors and replace the window channel soon too.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:45 PM
ford_pickup
Elder User
ford_pickup is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just re-read this thread, your truck has come a long way, and you are doing great

Old 03-01-2019, 04:35 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ford_pickup View Post
Just re-read this thread, your truck has come a long way, and you are doing great
Thanks, it's been a long journey. I'm hoping to get the steering issues all resolved then weatherstrip the doors and replace passenger side glass. Then I hope to make some long trips this summer.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:45 AM
Harrier
Post Fiend
It doesn't take long to tear things apart. While I'm waiting for the steering box rebuild kit, I'm going to work on the folllowing
Make fuse box smaller
Clean up under dash wiring
install firewall pad
Hook up heater (I had it in but nothing hooked up because of the firewall pad. I didn't want to have to unhook everything)
I also have some door work to be done.
Plus a leak down test and replace oil pan gasket.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:10 AM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
Looks like your getting some of those things done youíve been wanting to get done. Wish I could say the same.