1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 02:55 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
Or if you want to let Abe save the NOS striker for a restoration, scuff the chrome and spray a dust coat of argent paint...........The paint will mask that darkside look...........A slight covering with oil on the striker plate to collect some dust and dirt, you'll never notice. Of course, you may have to replace the new striker plate in a few years as it wears out from interacting with good American steel.
That is why I like the old stuff. I found that the new shiny repops wear out faster.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:03 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Joe, there is a NOS striker plate on ebay now for $7.50 right now, passenger side. and if you don't buy it I will! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Striker-Pla...~fpv:rk:2:pf:0

Even if you need a drivers side you should have the right side for backup.

There are driver side listed but they are more expensive as they wear out faster and are scarcer. I have drivers sides and can part with cheaper than what they are asking for on ebay. CArpenter sells the shiny ones for $19.95 plus his $9.99 shipping. Mid West might have lower shipping for you to MO.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:21 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
I've got Abe shipping me an NOS striker plate. I did buy the passenger side one on ebay as well. It never hurts to have extra.

I've been talking on the thread Question about wheel bearings about my shimmy.
My wheel bearings were a little loose so I repacked the outers and tightened them back up.

Here is a video of my passenger tie rod end. How do I best fix that? Can I tighten it? I'm afraid the axle piece (whatever it's called) is too big and I need to do something special.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:30 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Here is my busted striker plate.

Those are some good suggestion on the overflow tank. A couple are a bit too rat rod for my truck. But they are all better than my plastic Gatorade bottle.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:39 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
I've got Abe shipping me an NOS striker plate. I did buy the passenger side one on ebay as well. It never hurts to have extra.

I've been talking on the thread Question about wheel bearings about my shimmy.
My wheel bearings were a little loose so I repacked the outers and tightened them back up.

Here is a video of my passenger tie rod end. How do I best fix that? Can I tighten it? I'm afraid the axle piece (whatever it's called) is too big and I need to do something special.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZf_UiuPUMM
You might tighten the castle nut and take the play out. I would swag you have some wear or mismatched parts. Hard to believe the alignment technician failed to catch that. Could definitely be the source of your shimmy.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:44 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
You need a new tie rod end. That looseness is dangerous!

Old 12-02-2018, 07:52 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Hard to believe the alignment technician failed to catch that. Could definitely be the source of your shimmy.
This really bugs me. My alignment paper said it was aligned 3/17/2017. I probably put a bit over 1000 miles in that time.
I need to get my daily driver inspected. I think I will show the guy there the video and get his thoughts.

New tie rod...one more thing to add to my Christmas list...nah...time to head to the store.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:06 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Those are some good suggestion on the overflow tank. A couple are a bit too rat rod for my truck. But they are all better than my plastic Gatorade bottle.
Joe, I think a Gatorade bottle is perfect for a cross country runner like yourself! Better yet it should be a vintage glass Gatorade bottle from back in your hey day!

Old 12-02-2018, 08:11 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Joe, is there any chance that tie rod end did not get pulled into the steering arm good and tight when it was installed? The movement appears to be between the tie rod end and the arm, not in the tie rod itself. Or it could be the case of the tie rod end was made out of recycled beer cans and is soft. Or, maybe the tie rod end is too small for the arm.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:56 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Glass Gatorade bottle wouldn't be bad. I will have to ponder some ideas around that. If I have a better mounting system than my string, that would make a big difference.

Ray, I will check and see if the end is in the steering arm properly. Maybe that's it...that would trouble me more on my alignment guy though....
If I tighten it up, that will answer many of your questions. The movement is between the tie rod end and the arm. It is in the tie rod solid.

We have a guy coming to look at our house for new carpet tomorrow and we are showing our other house Saturday. So, not much shop time this week.
Oh, you might enjoy this story. We go to the carpet place in town (our town is about 4000 residents) Gwen and the store owner were pondering how old the carpet is. Well, the guy that installed it committed murder at the age of 21 and has been in prison for a bit over 20 years. So, they figured the carpet is about 25 years old. Another customer and I were cracking up. How often do you hear people discussing carpet age based on a murder. It seems this guys girlfriend told him that her step father had molested her. So, he promptly went out and hung the step father. Dang, this was around the time of the Jim Johnson murders here in town. (He killed the sheriff's wife and several deputies) The early 90s were rough around here.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:36 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
Smile

Joe, is there any chance that tie rod did not get pulled into the steering arm good and tight when it was installed? The movement appears to be between the tie rod end and the arm, not in the tie rod itself. Or it could be the case of the tie rod end was made out of recycled beer cans and is soft. Or, maybe the tie rod end is too small for the arm.
Bingo !!
Good catch .

Old 12-02-2018, 10:42 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
Inspect the steering arm carefully. If the tie rod end has been loose for some time it could have worn the hole in the steering arm bigger, or changed the taper. If this is the case, the tie rod end won't stay tight.

One of my originals was so worn it was egg-shaped and the taper was almost worn away.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:52 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Inspect the steering arm carefully. If the tie rod end has been loose for some time it could have worn the hole in the steering arm bigger, or changed the taper..
That is one of my fears. I had better start searching for a replacement just in case.
My book says TAAA 3130-A

Hopefully not necessary, but good to have the info handy.
It looks like they may be hard to find. Here is a thread form 2014 https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-tie-rod.html

Old 12-03-2018, 06:18 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
That is one of my fears. I had better start searching for a replacement just in case.
My book says TAAA 3130-A

Hopefully not necessary, but good to have the info handy.
It looks like they may be hard to find. Here is a thread form 2014 https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-tie-rod.html
I'll have one if you end up needing it

Old 12-03-2018, 06:28 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
I'll have one if you end up needing it
Awesome! I will let you know soon....gotta find a few free minutes to drop the tie rod real quick.

Quick Reply: 55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread