Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Why Tap Splices Should be Illegal

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I totally agree with Ed about soldering, if you dont know how to do it you sure can screw it up. Cold solder happens all the time. I see it at least once a week on F16's where they find a cold solder that will cause hours of of troubleshooting to find the soldering job botched up. There are diff kinds of solder to use that can be the wrong one also.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:42 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by robbragiel
I totally agree with Ed about soldering, if you dont know how to do it you sure can screw it up. Cold solder happens all the time. I see it at least once a week on F16's where they find a cold solder that will cause hours of of troubleshooting to find the soldering job botched up. There are diff kinds of solder to use that can be the wrong one also.
There it is - even soldering is no guarantee. I used to work for Boeing as an
"Experimental Missile Electrician", which meant I worked on a lot of one-off
military, commercial aviation, and space projects. I went to a two-day school just
on soldering alone and I learned how soldering is not just "heat and apply" to get a
durable connection. I've repaired thousands of cold solders in my various careers,
including the overhead readout in my Superduty. Cold solders are a real bear to
troubleshoot and while many people know how to prevent this - many more don't.

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Another side-note:

What would also apply is to appropriately re-size photos, but it seems most people haven't any idea how to do that.

A good rule of thumb is to not have the photo any wider than about 600 pixels. That's enough for good definition, and will not likely
be wider than anyone's screen.

But it's not my place to be the Posting Police, so it's just a suggestion....

Pop

I apologize if it is too big - but I wanted to display the full use of the filled
Scotchlok and how tidy the installation looks. You can also look at the connector
in use with detail. I will bring this up in another thread, for the sake of getting more
input from other readers and I respect your opinion on this. I have been working
with digital imaging professionally and/or as a hobby since 1985 and that's about
the same time I started working with computers. While I have advanced
hardware/software, I understand many people have 4:3 displays with resolution no
greater than 1024 X 768 and I keep my images down to that size or smaller. The
old glass monitors can be as small as 640 X 480, but the whole internet would be
difficult to view with a screen that size, not just FTE.

By the way, formatting the text to fit on the left is a PITA... this is the first time I
was aware of the issue and tried to do something about it. I'll try to figure out
another solution and share any discoveries.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 AM
L J Buerger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tugly-I wish you were the previous owner of my rig. I would've spent my weekend doing something other than tearing my dash apart chasing gremlins.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:16 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tugly
There it is - even soldering is no guarantee. I used to work for Boeing as an
"Experimental Missile Electrician", which meant I worked on a lot of one-off
military, commercial aviation, and space projects. I went to a two-day school just
on soldering alone and I learned how soldering is not just "heat and apply" to get a
durable connection. I've repaired thousands of cold solders in my various careers,
including the overhead readout in my Superduty. Cold solders are a real bear to
troubleshoot and while many people know how to prevent this - many more don't.

I apologize if it is too big - but I wanted to display the full use of the filled
Scotchlok and how tidy the installation looks. You can also look at the connector
in use with detail. I will bring this up in another thread, for the sake of getting more
input from other readers and I respect your opinion on this. I have been working
with digital imaging professionally and/or as a hobby since 1985 and that's about
the same time I started working with computers. While I have advanced
hardware/software, I understand many people have 4:3 displays with resolution no
greater than 1024 X 768 and I keep my images down to that size or smaller. The
old glass monitors can be as small as 640 X 480, but the whole internet would be
difficult to view with a screen that size, not just FTE.

By the way, formatting the text to fit on the left is a PITA... this is the first time I
was aware of the issue and tried to do something about it. I'll try to figure out
another solution and share any discoveries.
I personally liked the size of your photos.....then again I have a large enough screen to view them! Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:49 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use Butt Splices for all my connections. However each one of them runs about a buck and they are both heat shrink/seal, crimp and sodered connections.

They are in FACT stronger then a sodered connection with shrink wrap.

Check out your local fastenal for the connectors, but be prepared to pay.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:34 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
I bet the first 'project' for every vehicle I've ever owned was to fix the PO's wiring. Whether it was stereo's, trailer lights or 'repair' jobs - I am pretty sure everything I have ever owned had something I was inclined to fix.

Besides RV's, the WORST offenders anywhere have to be the up-fitters and other hacks who install flatbeds, utility boxes, etc... Maybe not as bad as the 'truck stop chrome shop' guys though!

Here's one from not too long ago on another forum:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/...8/IMG_7112.jpg

Old 02-13-2012, 05:53 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
...By the way, formatting the text to fit on the left is a PITA... this is the first time I
another solution and share any discoveries...
The easy way to deal with it is to look at your comments after posting. If you cannot read it without scrolling
click edit and press enter after every XXX number of characters. (For me it is about 100 characters.)
I think this is the only forum i must scroll on.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Funny that were talking about splices and soldering because today we had a jet abort his take off due to a flight control problem. After 5 hours of troubleshooting they found the flight control wing root waffer stack (wiring stack) had 11 cold solders on it. By looking at it, it looked fine but really it was cold soldered.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:28 PM
cowens726
Junior User
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket
I bought my enclosed trailer for $400 it's only 5 years old not in too bad of shape.

When I got it the brakes were not in working order on all but 1 wheel.

I jacked up each side and found the manufacturer had used splice connectors to connect the brake wires.

About an hour and some solder later all wheels came to stop with a nice "Thud" when spun in the air and the trailer brakes applied. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I have to go back and redo that last wheel but it was cold the day I did the others so I wasn't looking for extra work.
Last summer I bought a Salem Toyhauler from a buddy of mine and I was having intermittent light problems. I crawled under it and found the same thing, nothing but tap splices for the lights and brakes. Now I'm wondering what kinda cheap crap the installed for the electrical system inside the trailer, 110v and 12v. I learned in highshool the do it right the first time deal. I scabbed crap together on my old Jeep to get me on the road just to have it fail and leave me on the side of the road fixing it to get me home and then doing it right.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:41 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robbragiel
Funny that were talking about splices and soldering because today we had a jet abort his take off due to a flight control problem. After 5 hours of troubleshooting they found the flight control wing root waffer stack (wiring stack) had 11 cold solders on it. By looking at it, it looked fine but really it was cold soldered.
Rob I would think on a F16 they could come up with a more techie name that "wing root waffer stack" It sounds like something you would get at the WaffleHouse for breakfast. LOL

Now when you are trying to fix a problem like that on a F16 are you allowed to probe wires or are you only allowed to go from connection to connection. I would think they don't want you poking holes in wires.???

Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Rob I would think on a F16 they could come up with a more techie name that "wing root waffer stack" It sounds like something you would get at the WaffleHouse for breakfast. LOL

Now when you are trying to fix a problem like that on a F16 are you allowed to probe wires or are you only allowed to go from connection to connection. I would think they don't want you poking holes in wires.???
LOL...thats what we call it because there are hundreds of them and if they just called it a waffer stack we would say which one plus its on the wing root. Everthing has to be simplified with pics because we have some that are sharpe as bowling ***** and thats being kind.

No probing wires, only connector to connector.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:54 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by dn29626
The easy way to deal with it is to look at your comments after posting. If you cannot read it without scrolling
click edit and press enter after every XXX number of characters. (For me it is about 100 characters.)
I think this is the only forum i must scroll on.
Of my three screens, my laptop is my smallest one (1440 X 900) and it displays FTE full-width without scrolling. I don't see the issue at home, but I remember using a 1024 X 768 screen on another computer once and I did have to scroll. I've contacted FTE on this and I'll be coming up with suggestions on screen display soon.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I only carry the blue tap splicer thingies for emergencies because they are fast and easy to use on the side of the road. All my "professional" wiring is solder and glue filled heat shrink.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
The "cold solder" problem has only gotten worse, with the EU implementing its "Removal of Hazardous Substances" act, and most companies following suit. Of course, lead is considered a hazardous substance, and is thus prohibited.

Lead-free solder is less pliable than lead/tin solder, and with repeated temperature cycling, will result in more fractured solder connections. This is mostly a problem in consumer goods. Pretty much any electronic products that you buy now will be RoHS compliant, and thus have lead-free solder.