1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Disc Brake Upgrade - Straight Axle

Old 03-20-2003, 03:41 PM
62stepside
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the kit from CPP today, thought you guys (and gals) would like to know that the basic bracket kit is on sale for $120 and the booster/master cylinder is on sale for $320. Definately better than the complete kit for $800 or MP Brakes for $899. The rest of the parts are comming from AutoZone:

Rotors - '75 F100 - $64 for the pair
Calipers - '75 Chevy Truck - $44 for the pair ($20 of that is core)
Hoses - gonna mix and match 'till I find the ones I need. (glad the guy behind the counter likes me )

I figure I should have the whole thing put together for around $550~$600. I'll take plenty of pics as I assemble the stuff and post it when I get it done. I'm also gonna buy a scanner soon so I can get some more current pics of my truck in my gallery.

Tyson

Old 03-21-2003, 12:25 AM
Bikeitswift
Senior User

By CPP, who do you mean? I went to Clifford Performance Products, but no brake stuff listed. I want those brackets. I've got two sets of complete stuff to convert a 67 Chevy to disc (former project), so maybe I can just use the calipers from one set-they are fresh rebuilt. I just installed the Master power Brakes Power Brake/Split Master Cylinder on my 63 223, and it sure makes a nice difference. I selected it because it works with my drums, and can be used with disc/drum with the addition of a proportioning valve when I go to disc. ($175, including shipping. on eBay, all new stuff). As a note, however, it is so huge in the engine compartment that I dropped off the bidding on the Clifford 4 barrel intake/header system that was on eBay, it won't fit with this booster.

Old 03-21-2003, 07:38 AM
Andy63
Senior User

Story of my life.
I look and look and wait and talk to people and as soon as I order something someone finds it cheaper.
Andy63...

Old 03-21-2003, 08:34 AM
Bikeitswift
Senior User

So, who, where is the CPP you ordered the brackets from?

Old 03-21-2003, 08:40 AM
Andy63
Senior User

Take away the word Clifford and change it to Classic and there you have it. There complete power disc front brake conversion is 100 dollars cheaper than MP brakes kit. They also have a bolt on power steering assist kit for the Ford straight axle trucks. Uses a standard GM PS pump.
Andy63...

Old 03-21-2003, 11:18 PM
62stepside
Senior User

Sorry I didn't spell it out, but Andy is right. Classic Performance Parts (classicperform.com). And Andy, I know the feeling... I've been going back and forth on which kit I was going to order.

CPP, MP Brakes, or even ECI's basic bracket kit and trying to peice together a mc/booster out of a 70's model.

I was going to wait until my truck was a little closer to being finshed, but I've been watching the ads closely for a while now and I just couldn't pass up the prices.

Tyson

Old 04-06-2003, 09:23 PM
62stepside
Senior User

Ok, update...

All my parts came in, and I need to learn to read. I assumed the basic bracket kit was comming with bearings and seals. I don't know why I assumed that, but too late now. So lets add some more parts to the list:

A13 Inner Bearings: $12 pair
A2 Outer Bearings: $12 pair
Seals: $13 each (ouch)
'75 GM Brake Lines $20 each
Dust covers: 3$ each
Banjo Bolts (no, the lines nor the calipers came with them): 2$ each

I got the brackets bolted to the axle and the bearing races into the hubs. Aside from having to grind a casting ear off each caliper with a bench grinder, the install went fairly smoothly. I've taken a boatload of pictures and should have them posted when I get the film developed (yes, I live in the dark ages )

All in all I'd say I still made out pretty good. Less than 700$ for power disc brakes. Now if I can only get the truck painted, and reassembled, and put the engine in, and.........

Tyson

Old 04-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Jim Larson
Junior User
Smile Disc Brake Upgrade - Straight Axle

Tyson,
I am also doing this conversion in my '63. My kit came from ECI, and it all hooked up great. My question is, what have you done about the power booster/master cylinder setup? I am sure our firewalls and old brake cylinders are the same, and I have been looking for a set up that would bolt to the firewall w/o any mods. I am really curious to know what you are going to do. Thanks, Jim

Old 04-07-2003, 11:24 AM
62stepside
Senior User

I've heard that a mustang mc/booster will work, but I ordered the mc/booster from Classic Performance. Its on special for 320$ with a 7" booster and a Corvette mc. It also comes with a proportioning valve.

It is setup to bolt to the original holes and has an adjustable pushrod. Since my beast dosen't run yet I haven't installed it. Gotta paint it first (less stuff to mask off)

Tyson

Old 04-10-2003, 05:34 PM
berkad
Posting Guru

Yuz guyz are scaring me. I just got the cab back on and before I re-install the 262.... I wanted to update the suspention and brakes. now I'm afraid. Keep posting, I am taking notes and stealing the VISA card away from "she who should be obeyed"

Old 04-10-2003, 08:14 PM
captcarstop
Senior User

pardon my ignorance, is that front or rear brake. (and will the parts work on the rear of my 66F100?){found spindles for the front of my 2wd}

Old 04-11-2003, 03:10 PM
62stepside
Senior User

Front brakes... '61-'64 has a single straight I-beam axle and does not have the twin-i of the later trucks. As for rear discs, CPP makes a kit, but it costs about as much. Unless you are racing or towing you really don't need rear disc. I'm only putting front disc becase I like to stop in a straight line (and my left and right drum assemblys are off different years - it never stopped right)

Tyson

Old 04-11-2003, 03:20 PM
captcarstop
Senior User

thanks. new to these trucks and am still in the dark on alot of things.

Old 04-13-2003, 12:32 PM
Rosati
Postmaster

Then you have found your guiding light!
Welcome to FTE

Old 04-24-2003, 09:44 AM
woodman7272
New User