1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

62 uni vent window delete HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:22 AM
bigblazer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
62 uni vent window delete HELP!!!!

hey everybody. new to this forum. heres what i got going on. i have sitting in my driveway a 1962 ford f100 unibody with the original I6 and three on the tree shifter. this truck belonged to my mom for 10 plus years, she turned down people left and right and even offers from me over the years so it was near an dear to her. well. she had a car accident and passed away last may. i have many projects and whatnot but this one took priority over the winter. the motor always would fire up no matter how long it was between drives. now when you turn it over the motor sounds very dry so im not trying to start it anymore at this moment. i have a car show in my moms and my hometown on the last saturday of july. i am trying to work hard to get this thing back to its former glory. i can do all the work myself but since i have been predominantly a chevy guy as far as projects go i am having issues finding parts. i absolutely want to keep it as stock as possible. i would love to tear into it and toss a nice motor in there, drop it alittle so on and so forth. bout the most im gonna do is some vintage air and i am looking for a vent window delete kit. thats what im having trouble finding. someone please help!!!! and if anyone wants to toss in some additional suggestions go for it. i'll be removing the gas tank from behind the seat. thats something me and ma always talked about doing. just gonna make it a nice clean truck

Old 01-24-2012, 01:26 AM
bigblazer
New User
and i know this will stir some stuff up, have my wrecked trans am sitting next to it, an boy it would be pretty fun to c notch the frame mustang II the front and toss in my built LT1 (i know i know, blashpemy) for a fun ride. but i couldnt do that to the pickup my ma loved. its staying mostly original

Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing wrong with that LT1. does it have a 700r4? these are good transmissions.

I assume this is the thread you asked me about?

I have put some serious thought in to this swap over the years and have concluded in the past that it is to much work without making the doors in to a suicide arrangement.

Deleting the vent windows is very difficult on this series as the front door reinforcement for the hinge mounts takes up a huge area.

It can be done with some modifications to the upper door area where the vent used to reside to in fill and even the area for custom fit anti rattlers. You also must remove quite a bit of the hinge reinforcement or cut out and remove it and add a heavy gauge guide for the window track and put it back in place. It all gets close and it is really tight. New felts can be added from the aftermarket for the glass runs.

For a window, any glass shop can make you the flat glass to accomplish the conversion.

If you have never done this kind of work i would pass on doing it. To have this conversion done in a competent rod shop would run in to about six to seven thousand dollars in thought, time and materials.

Garbz

Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 PM
bigblazer
New User
garbz, i thank you. that was alot easier than tearin into something and having to put it back together. made a trip home today and talked with a couple of people about it. one being my banker since high school who has several beautiful rides that he has restored and he has had several conversations with my ma about this unibody. i had already decided against an engine swap and stand firm on that, as much as i would love to move that fuel tank as well, he pointed me straight. i already knew i had a treasure to start with and we both agreed that she knew it too. this truck is very solid, very straight, and very original. you cant ask for a better start on it. i guess. im not going to change anything. its all going to go back to original, if i do change something it will be something i can easily remove (center console with stereo), only thing im going to add is a vintage air hopefully. hate the green color but thats what it came with so thats what it will go back to, hell im even thinking about buying a new white toolbox to put in the back cause thats the only way i have ever seen the pickup. if anyone has anything to add or another parts distributer i would greatly appriciate any info or help. its not my first time around something like this, just my first time finding pesky ford parts. lmc truck is my go to source so far... thanks again garbz. i'll try to get some pictures of what im starting with up here

Old 02-11-2012, 11:41 AM
robertr2D
Freshman User
unibody parts

Originally Posted by bigblazer
garbz, i thank you. that was alot easier than tearin into something and having to put it back together. made a trip home today and talked with a couple of people about it. one being my banker since high school who has several beautiful rides that he has restored and he has had several conversations with my ma about this unibody. i had already decided against an engine swap and stand firm on that, as much as i would love to move that fuel tank as well, he pointed me straight. i already knew i had a treasure to start with and we both agreed that she knew it too. this truck is very solid, very straight, and very original. you cant ask for a better start on it. i guess. im not going to change anything. its all going to go back to original, if i do change something it will be something i can easily remove (center console with stereo), only thing im going to add is a vintage air hopefully. hate the green color but thats what it came with so thats what it will go back to, hell im even thinking about buying a new white toolbox to put in the back cause thats the only way i have ever seen the pickup. if anyone has anything to add or another parts distributer i would greatly appriciate any info or help. its not my first time around something like this, just my first time finding pesky ford parts. lmc truck is my go to source so far... thanks again garbz. i'll try to get some pictures of what im starting with up here
LMC has many unibody parts but still lacks a lot. Macs out of New York has a fair amount and is cheaper on the big money items such as tailgates and headliners etc.