Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fixed - Parasitic Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MR5x5
The draw is with both bats disconnected and the meter place between one bats pos terminal and it's pos cable. (10A meter setting)

Update - looks to be the alt. Both bats unhooked, meter in line with pos side of one bat. Steady 650mA draw. (Not sure where the 4.5A has gone?? May have had one of the doors open and was pulling/reading extra Amps to the dome light??) Disconnect either the 12V cbale to the alt or the 3 pin connector, and the draw goes to less than 100mA. Very repeatable. In fact, if you put an ear on the alt, you can hear it humming with the 3-pin connected. Unplug it, and silence.

Pulled the alt and will take it back the shop that built it to have them give it a once over.
Usually you can tell it is bad because it will be warm even after sitting overnight.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nlemerise
Notice on #4 where it says "...and the generator wire"? That is the wire I suspect is the problem (well, probably not the wire per se, but rather the diodes up stream) - I am ASSUMING that this is the wire that carries battery voltage back to the alternator to excite the rotor. If my assumption is wrong...well then my theory collapses
Good show Neal. You hit the nail right on the head.

Now, where does that other wire go. PCM

Old 02-26-2012, 04:29 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Good show Neal. You hit the nail right on the head.

Now, where does that other wire go. PCM
You have the charging system diagram, Robin? PS...Thanks for the kind words, coming from you it is meaningful to me.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:21 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have the charging system diagram, Robin? PS...Thanks for the kind words, coming from you it is meaningful to me.
I can't attach a pdf now. I was looking at the wiring diagram on ebscohost. Looks like the + off the battery going to the starter motor relay also feeds 4 fusible links. Two go to B+ at the alternator. The other two feed fuse 6 and fuse 20 (labeled battery junction box). Those also end up going to the alternator. I could send an email with the attached wiring diagram if you guys want it. PM me your email if so.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:53 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Yes, see below.

Originally Posted by tdpower
I can't attach a pdf now. I was looking at the wiring diagram on ebscohost. Looks like the + off the battery going to the starter motor relay also feeds 4 fusible links. Two go to B+ at the alternator. The other two feed fuse 6 and fuse 20 (labeled battery junction box). Those also end up going to the alternator. I could send an email with the attached wiring diagram if you guys want it. PM me your email if so.
I can't seem too see where there are 2 wires attached to a single terminal of the starter relay on the starting system diagram.

Help me out guys. Edit: Maybe I'll figure it out if I combine the two wiring diagrams????

Damn I forgot to attach the PDFs. Wait one minute.

OK. Here they are.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
1999 Starting (EBSCO).pdf (44.0 KB, 949 views)
1999 Charging (EBSCO).pdf (41.5 KB, 771 views)
Old 02-26-2012, 06:21 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
The OP has a 2001. I sent an email to Neal so hopefully he can post that up. I'm no EE at going through wiring diagrams but can usually figure it out. Maybe I'm missing something and just confusing you guys....

Old 02-26-2012, 07:07 PM
c125bob
Elder User
Good work Neal, you are a great example of what FTE is about. Reps when I get out of the pokey buddy !

Old 02-26-2012, 08:33 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
The OP has a 2001. I sent an email to Neal so hopefully he can post that up. I'm no EE at going through wiring diagrams but can usually figure it out. Maybe I'm missing something and just confusing you guys....

1999 to 2001 are the same. Neal has a 99. I reread your previous post and looked at the wiring diagrams again. Tomorrow I'm going to look at the real thing under the hood. That will make more sense out of this, at least for me.

No, you're not confusing me.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

OK. Here they are.
Hey are these diagrams applicable to a 2002?

Old 02-26-2012, 09:12 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
1999 to 2001 are the same. Neal has a 99. I reread your previous post and looked at the wiring diagrams again. Tomorrow I'm going to look at the real thing under the hood. That will make more sense out of this, at least for me.

No, you're not confusing me.
The 2001 diagram breaks up the fuse links into four. It also didn't show the GPR but assumed the s147/s149 junction goes to the gpr. I'm sure they are the same though. I wasn't sure what the dotted line from starter solenoid to the fusible links meant. Maybe they are split before the starter solenoid??? I didn't pop my hood but will have to check it out sometime.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:02 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Lex2002
Hey are these diagrams applicable to a 2002?
No. The 2002-03 don't have the starter relay mounted under hood on the inside of fender. The relay is a bosch type (small cube) and mounted in the under dash fuse box.

Here is a "Starting & Charging" 2002 wiring diagram from EBSCO.

Attached Images
2002 Starting & Charging.pdf (43.1 KB, 628 views)
Old 02-27-2012, 03:12 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
The 2001 diagram breaks up the fuse links into four. It also didn't show the GPR but assumed the s147/s149 junction goes to the gpr. I'm sure they are the same though. I wasn't sure what the dotted line from starter solenoid to the fusible links meant. Maybe they are split before the starter solenoid??? I didn't pop my hood but will have to check it out sometime.
Thanks Grant,

That dotted line is the confusing part. Looking under the hood of my truck the gray wires with the fusible links are crimped into the same round connector and on one terminal. Then there are two others also crimped together in a round terminal. As far as I got. Cold wind blowing and I wussed out and came inside. I'll Check it out later, weather permitting, but snow is expected.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Here is a "Starting & Charging" 2002 wiring diagram from EBSCO.
THANKS PAYSON!!!!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:15 PM
MR5x5
Senior User
Update 2 - Battery Drain

Well I got the alternator checked out at the manufacturer. They say it checks out good and advised I checked my ignition circuit. I did that with the help of the wire diagrams provided by Payson - thanks again for those.

Ignition cicuit checks out. Fact is the alternator "turns on" and draws just shy of 0.5 amps when plugged in - even with the ignition circuit fuse pulled. The ign circuit shows 150mV with the fuse in, and 35mV with the fuse pulled. I can't beleive either of those levels is enought to activate the alt...

I push, pulled, wiggled and shook the connector and can find no indication that the connector is somehow "leaking" voltage to the ignition wire.

Looks like it is back to the alt mfg with alt installed so they can see what is going on. They seem to be dealing straight up with me, so I'm hopefull we'll get it resolved.

The only thing I've been able to determine so far is that I can make it snow simply by going outside to work on the truck.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 PM
JohnP3
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You want to leave the clamp meter on the wire for about a minute some alternators take a little while to shut down completely.
,5 amp is to high if it is continuous.
I know what it is to work outside and have the weather change as soon as you are finished.

Quick Reply: Fixed - Parasitic Battery Drain