Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Did the USB2 "mod" today

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:45 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why would you store your music by playlist instead of artist? That's like storing your socks, underwear, shirts, pants, etc. by day of the week instead of by function.

Simply create a folder for each artist on the root directory of the flash drive. Use MP3TAG to create playlists. I have a little over 2700 MP3s and M4As on my flash drive and it took me about 30 minutes to create 50 different playlists. The playlists are also very easy to edit using notepad (or simply creating a new one).

Old 04-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Gundown64
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Why would you store your music by playlist instead of artist? That's like storing your socks, underwear, shirts, pants, etc. by day of the week instead of by function.
I guess it just depends on how you listen to music. I do have two playlists that are just one artist, but the rest of my playlists are just a collection of various artists and I simply have my music set on shuffle and it just plays random songs in that playlist. If I ever want to listen to one artists, I'll just create another playlist for them.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
How you listen to the music has nothing to do with how it's stored (just like how you store your clothes has nothing to do with when you where them). That's why we create playlists.

Playlists can be any combination of artists, albums, genre, etc. All they are is simple ANSI text files.

It's about being able to easily keep you current and new music organized. Storing by artist (and even by artist AND album) makes this process a lot easier.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Gundown64
Senior User
How you listen to the music has nothing to do with how it's stored (just like how you store your clothes has nothing to do with when you where them). That's why we create playlists.

Playlists can be any combination of artists, albums, genre, etc. All they are is simple ANSI text files.

It's about being able to easily keep you current and new music organized. Storing by artist (and even by artist AND album) makes this process a lot easier.
True, but not in my case. My Pioneer head unit is VERY sluggish and just inconvenient when it comes to navigating my SD card. If I had a folder for every artist (~50 or so) and I wanted to get to one, I would basically have to pull over to do so. Therefore, I simply have about 6-7 playlist with various artists, albums and songs so I can quickly select them. I do not need to have my folders sorted by artist because I rarely listen to one artist at a time (with one exception). I am sure the newer Fords do a good job with USB integration, but that is my only gripe about my head unit is the poor navigation for SD cards.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:18 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
I understand.

The Clarion HU is very quick to access the USB flash drive, regardless of how the files are stored (artist, artist/album, genre/artist/album, etc.).

Old 04-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Gundown64
Senior User
I understand.

The Clarion HU is very quick to access the USB flash drive, regardless of how the files are stored (artist, artist/album, genre/artist/album, etc.).
I see. Yea, if my Pioneer HU did a better job organizing files I would have done the whole artist thing, but the HU is bad at that. It is basically like plugging the sd card into a computer and looking at it that way; displaying raw files and folders. If his head unit does a good job organizing files then by all means do it that way, I just recommenced it my way because that is what worked for me.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
so how does one remove the rubber piece with the speaker in it on top the dash to find the port to plug in the cable---just grab it & pull or pry it up with a screwdriver, or what?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:01 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
The rubber lining should just lift out. Try using a piece of duct tape.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Sldrvr_1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is an interesting and relatively cheap mod, but what is everyone using it for? I have my I-pod plugged into the factory installed one so I am not sure what I would use the other for...

Old 04-18-2012, 09:28 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Do you have a girlfriend or wife?

Wait until she puts her purse on top of your iPod and breaks the in-dash USB connector.

My 32GB flash drive (no batteries so it is not affected by heat and/or cold and it's dirt cheap compared to an iPod) is in my glove compartment and has over 2600 MP3s and M4As.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:27 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sldrvr_1
I think this is an interesting and relatively cheap mod, but what is everyone using it for? I have my I-pod plugged into the factory installed one so I am not sure what I would use the other for...
So you leave the ipod there when you leave the truck?
My $10 USB stick is in the glove box 24/7, invisible from the outside.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Sldrvr_1
Junior User
Originally Posted by flixden
So you leave the ipod there when you leave the truck?
My $10 USB stick is in the glove box 24/7, invisible from the outside.
I do leave it in there and now I see where a $10 stick in place of the I-pod would make good sense... Are there other things people use it for?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:30 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Use what for? The second USB port?

I suppose if you had a lot of music (or used high bitrates - 320kbps) you could have two USB flash drives in the glove compartment and then switch between them.

Only one can be an active audio source and trying to use the second as a charging port (for your phone or iPod) might overload the USB controller (each port is current limited).

Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sldrvr_1
I do leave it in there and now I see where a $10 stick in place of the I-pod would make good sense... Are there other things people use it for?
Yeah. The issue with it sitting there (ipod or USB stick) is if somebody wants to get it, he'll smash the window most likely. And that will be more expensive than the ipod or USB stick. Hidden in the glove box is a good place for it!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 PM
BANJO213
New User
Flixden - I too have a new '12 model F-150. Can you please provide some more detail in your experience with removing the rubber piece on top of the dash to get to the usb ports? For example: is it glued down, how much force are did it take to "pry" it up, did you glue the rubber panel down after the mod, and do you have any rattles after putting everything back together?

I read 90% of the posts on this mod, but it seems they are mainly for 2010's. I'm just looking for your insight to 2012 specifics with this mod. Thanks for the help!

One more thing: A Ford SYNC rep in Ford's chat room told me that the largest USB storage that SYNC will support is 16GB. For you dudes that run large external hard drives and 32 and 64GB thumb drives....any problems accessing all your music from the storage?

Quick Reply: Did the USB2 "mod" today