1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Couple questions about lifting my truck..

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 AM
460 FORD MAN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Couple questions about lifting my truck..

So I started a thread about the cheapest way to lift my truck in the past. I got a lot of good information.

My truck is a 79 f150 custom 4x4.

So I'm gonna do the shackle flip to raise it about 2 inches in the rear and lower the coil buckets in the front. I was suggested to get leaf springs off a chebby 3500, there 64 inch eye to eye, for a softer ride. I'v been thinking and I want my truck to ride like a truck, not a cadillac.

I'm gonna be lifting it hopefully within a week or two.
So my questions are..

Since I'm gonna be using the stock leaf springs do I need lower hangers in the front of the leaf springs?

Will 2 inches affect anything like brake lines, any lines for that matter, driveshaft angle front and rear, pitman arm, stearing shaft, or anything you can think of?

Can I use the stock shocks front and rear?

Will in need longer radius arms or lower mounts?

Anything you will think it will affect let me know cause I'm on a tight budget.

And lastly, when I got new tires I asked the guy what's the biggest tire I can put on it without a lift he said 30's. But if you ask me they look to little.
So what is the size tire do you recommend for a 2 inch lift?

These may seem like dumb questions but I'v never lifted a truck.

Thanks guys!

Old 08-13-2012, 09:48 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
My rig had a 2-inch Rancho lift coils and two extra leafs in the back before I went with a 4-inch. It still wears the same 35x12.5x15 Goodyear Wranglers on 15x8s.
  • Brake lines/hoses need not be extended.
  • Reused the same (Ranch RS5000) shocks
  • You will need to use 2° C-bushings... radius arms are unaffected but their angle will change, hence the need for new C-bushings.
  • The driveshafts' slip yoke will extend just a bit. Not until a 6-inch lift does one require a longer driveshaft (or so I have read).
  • The steering shaft's relative position abd length between the steering wheel and steering box is unaffected.
  • The pitman arm (actually the drag link) will compensate for the change in relative position of the axle. Geometry will be okay.
  • Tires - I'd go with 33s... the physical size of 35s varies from brand to brand.
  • Hanger flip - nope, ya need not lower the front hangers.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:50 AM
vic_v8
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why not just do a 2" block in the rear? Simple, easy, and cheap.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:05 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Larry had a little lamb whos fleece was rusty and red

Old 08-13-2012, 01:21 PM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a pretty cheap kit from rough country. It comes with new front springs, 7degree bushings, a new trac bar bracket, all new shocks, and your choice of new rear leafs, or 2" blocks. With this kit you could probably run 35s no problem, but I personally like the look of 33s better.
http://www.roughcountry.com/suspensi...0_77-79_4.html

Old 08-13-2012, 03:53 PM
460 FORD MAN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
My rig had a 2-inch Rancho lift coils and two extra leafs in the back before I went with a 4-inch. It still wears the same 35x12.5x15 Goodyear Wranglers on 15x8s.
  • Brake lines/hoses need not be extended.
  • Reused the same (Ranch RS5000) shocks
  • You will need to use 2° C-bushings... radius arms are unaffected but their angle will change, hence the need for new C-bushings.
  • The driveshafts' slip yoke will extend just a bit. Not until a 6-inch lift does one require a longer driveshaft (or so I have read).
  • The steering shaft's relative position abd length between the steering wheel and steering box is unaffected.
  • The pitman arm (actually the drag link) will compensate for the change in relative position of the axle. Geometry will be okay.
  • Tires - I'd go with 33s... the physical size of 35s varies from brand to brand.
  • Hanger flip - nope, ya need not lower the front hangers.
Thanks for ALL that great information!!

Old 08-13-2012, 04:06 PM
460 FORD MAN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kobaltblue
Dont skimp on lifting the shackles are the way they are for a reason, 2" blocks and U bolts will run you 150-200.00 and the front alls you need is 2" lift springs and new C bushings with 7* camber to bring the spindles back to -negative- you can go up to 4" that way with out lowering the radius arms and a drop pitman arm

You know thats 4x's the work then just buying the right stuff its 100.00 for front springs, To cut and weld,Then punch out the rivets but new GRADE 8 bolts will run you 100.00 easy!

There is the right way to lift a truck and theres the stupid way to lift a truck...Which one do you want to drive? Which one will end up in the junk yard wrecked?...Its you choice.

Not trying to rude I just hate when people rig crap.

JMO!
Thanks for you opinion. I'm not scared of constructed criticism.
It actually will help me in my decision!

But I have some questions.
I might just get the blocks for the rear. Anybody got a good site for just the blocks? I couldn't find any.
But the way I was thinking of doing it wouldn't cost me anything but grade A bolts.
~Whats wrong with lowering the coil buckets?
I was gonna cut the bottom part of the bucket that wraps around the frame with the bump stop on it, and weld it to the bucket.
I'v seen alot of people that do the shackle flip.
~What will it affect?

And I'm not trying to be rude but I wont you're opinion.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:57 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 460 FORD MAN
~Whats wrong with lowering the coil buckets?
Removing the factory rivets can be a bit of a pain. Why not get taller springs? Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a 4wd front end it should work..?

Originally Posted by 460 FORD MAN
I want my truck to ride like a truck, not a cadillac.
If I could get my truck to ride like my Cadillac does, I'd probably do it

Jameson

Old 08-13-2012, 05:06 PM
460 FORD MAN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jgavac
Removing the factory rivets can be a bit of a pain. Why not get taller springs? Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a 4wd front end it should work..?

Jameson
There's bolts holding on the coil buckets. And there's nothing wrong with the springs I have, I'v alwase heard "if it ain't broke dont fix it"
And I'm trying to lift it without spending any dough. (I was recently laid off.)
btw this ain't my dd, tryna make in a mini mudder.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:36 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Larry wanted a lifted truck

Old 08-13-2012, 06:30 PM
customrich&matt
Senior User
i lifted my 79 150 4x4 by lowering the buckets and adding blocks
i got my blocks made at the spring works
what i always say why buy what you can build

Old 08-13-2012, 07:16 PM
impalaslayer
Posting Guru
what ever you do, dont use blocks. if you insist on using blocks, DO NOT STACK THEM. use a single one the correct height. shackle flip is the best way to go for the rear end and will net you about 4-5 inches. just did it to my 96.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:58 PM
460 FORD MAN
Posting Guru
Just so yall know I MEANT GRADE 8, I dont know why I put grade A.

I'm hearing 'not to shackle flip' and 'to shackle flip' I'm getting confused

customrich&matt said he lowered his coil buckets then I'm hearing 'not to lower them'

kobaltblue I might just get that body lift from you, it just depends where you live and how much shipping will be.

As you can tell my old lady dont want me putting money into my rig to lift it she says its to high as it is. But what does she know

I'm not sure about the rear blocks all I want is 2 or 3 inches. So I will think about that one.
impalaslayer whats wrong with using blocks?

Thanks for the advice guys and keep it comming. I need help deciding.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:47 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
wife said no

Old 08-13-2012, 09:09 PM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kobaltblue
I know you meant grade 8 just pulling your chain, But like I say why spend countless hours building and fabbing things when you can buy the stuff done and its right? For 350.00 or spend 75.00-100.00 doing a body lift and be done? You time does cost money even when your working on your own stuff, 1-2 weeks spent trying to fab something you can buy is 1-2 weeks lost working on other things, When it comes to this stuff you have to weigh the benefits.

Stuff like the track bar if the bracket is not made right you will get the death wobble...Not fun.

Your going to spend 4000.00 to 6000.00 building a truck whats wrong with a few extra dollars....It does grow on trees when you restore a truck.

I'm probably 125 miles from you so shipping maybe $10-15.00... pm me.

I just like to see things done right not butchered.
I totally agree. It's much better to buy a kit that gives you everything you need. The engineers that make lift kits have already done all the engineering for you so it takes out the guess work. Buying a lift kit will ensure that your truck has been modified correctly and will most likely be much safer then anything you could fab up. Its your truck so do what you want, but personally I wouldn't bother trying to "rig" something together when you could buy a complete 2.5" kit for just over $300 and a 4" kit for around $350. that's just my $00.02 good luck with your build though! I can't wait to see her lifted

Quick Reply: Couple questions about lifting my truck..