EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

New Turbo Noise Heard

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:33 PM
ajkelly
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Turbo Noise Heard

Need some insight,

The Ecoboost has about 11K on it now. The last 1,000 miles or so I'm hearing new noise associated with turbo. It's a GRRR sound for lack of a better word. Happens at each shift or when you back out of the throttle. Assuming it's some type of pressure relief valve for the turbos. What concerns me is why did this noise just start happening. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Alan

Old 11-04-2011, 02:49 PM
ajkelly
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ajkelly
Need some insight,

The Ecoboost has about 11K on it now. The last 1,000 miles or so I'm hearing new noise associated with turbo. It's a GRRR sound for lack of a better word. Happens at each shift or when you back out of the throttle. Assuming it's some type of pressure relief valve for the turbos. What concerns me is why did this noise just start happening. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Alan
Update:

Spoke to the service manager, he said this is not the first time he has heard of this. Corporate Ford claims this is normal after the turbo's get broke in. They are still going to take a look at it to make sure nothing else seems suspect.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 AM
ajkelly
Freshman User
Anyone else notice this noise on their eco?

Old 12-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Skoiv
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes. Just a little though. Same as you describe. I have 9000 miles. It doesn't seem to effect anything but I will continue to monitor.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:39 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I just hit 6K an nothing new or different yet.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Tommy Pantsdown
New User
I've also had this start happening. Which is why I signed up, I was wanting to see how many others are noticing this.

It's the bypass valve "trumpeting". I've had my share of turbo cars and typically the bypass/Blow off valve is one of the first mods you get out of the way, stock bpv are always junk. We're absolutely loosing power because of this.

The valve spring has softened up and now doesn't fully seat closed when needed. That valve should not be open while under boost. It should all be directed to the intake. Instead it's short cycling in the intake track.

I'm bringing my truck in for an oil change soon and I'm going to have them replace it. I've noticed that I lost .20MPG since it's started this. I was always stuck at 18.1-17.9 until this started. Now I'm sitting at 16.9-17.5. Junk.

I love my truck to death but it's horribly annoying to listen to when I know I'm being robbed power and wasting gas.

*edit, I'd like to also add that this is on a 11 F150 Crew cab.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:36 PM
ajkelly
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tommy Pantsdown
I've also had this start happening. Which is why I signed up, I was wanting to see how many others are noticing this.

It's the bypass valve "trumpeting". I've had my share of turbo cars and typically the bypass/Blow off valve is one of the first mods you get out of the way, stock bpv are always junk. We're absolutely loosing power because of this.

The valve spring has softened up and now doesn't fully seat closed when needed. That valve should not be open while under boost. It should all be directed to the intake. Instead it's short cycling in the intake track.

I'm bringing my truck in for an oil change soon and I'm going to have them replace it. I've noticed that I lost .20MPG since it's started this. I was always stuck at 18.1-17.9 until this started. Now I'm sitting at 16.9-17.5. Junk.

I love my truck to death but it's horribly annoying to listen to when I know I'm being robbed power and wasting gas.

*edit, I'd like to also add that this is on a 11 F150 Crew cab.
Let us know how your visit goes. Mine seems to have been happening more since it's cold out.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:05 PM
benearnest
New User
My ecoboost has made the noise since new. I put a cold air intake on and that makes the noise alot more noticable. Dealer put computer on to monitor the truck and found out the turbo drops out off and on and that is when the noise is heard. The best mileage I can get is 14 m.p.g. To me it sounds like I am going over a rough road or the rumble bars on some highways. The vibration can easily be felt or heard especially on the passenger side.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Tommy Pantsdown
New User
Yeah, like I said above...it's the by pass valve not seating. Which makes a vibration/trumpet type noise.

Ask them to replace it. See what they do. I'm going in for an appointment in three weeks when I have time. So I won't know until the end of January.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:03 PM
gup
Freshman User
Response to: My ecoboost has made the noise since new. I put a cold air intake on and that makes the noise alot more noticable. Dealer put computer on to monitor the truck and found out the turbo drops out off and on and that is when the noise is heard. The best mileage I can get is 14 m.p.g. To me it sounds like I am going over a rough road or the rumble bars on some highways. The vibration can easily be felt or heard especially on the passenger side.

I had this same rumble strip noise that could be felt especially on the passenger side. Tech replaced a vacuum relay part that keeps the front hub from engaging on the passenger side...he explained that vacuum keeps them from engaging until the vehicle is switched into 4 wheel drive. He said it was slightly leaking which allowed the fingers to just start to engage and this partial engagement caused the rumble noise and vibration. He replaced the part and it took care of it. If you want I can dig up the invoice out in the shop and see exactly what the part was.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 PM
benearnest
New User
Noise - invoice

Originally Posted by gup
Response to: My ecoboost has made the noise since new. I put a cold air intake on and that makes the noise alot more noticable. Dealer put computer on to monitor the truck and found out the turbo drops out off and on and that is when the noise is heard. The best mileage I can get is 14 m.p.g. To me it sounds like I am going over a rough road or the rumble bars on some highways. The vibration can easily be felt or heard especially on the passenger side.

I had this same rumble strip noise that could be felt especially on the passenger side. Tech replaced a vacuum relay part that keeps the front hub from engaging on the passenger side...he explained that vacuum keeps them from engaging until the vehicle is switched into 4 wheel drive. He said it was slightly leaking which allowed the fingers to just start to engage and this partial engagement caused the rumble noise and vibration. He replaced the part and it took care of it. If you want I can dig up the invoice out in the shop and see exactly what the part was.
Any help would be appreciated. I would like to show the invoice to my dealer. They are still looking at the turbo's.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:16 PM
gup
Freshman User
I could scan and email them to you if you provide an email address. On the initial visit the tech wrote CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A NOISE WHEN PULLING A TRAILER LIKE YOU ARE GOING OVER RUMBLE STRIPS WHEN IN SIX GEAR AND THEN WHEN IN FIFTH GEAR COULD FEEL LIKE A RUMBLE ON THE FLOOR. FOUND THE CHECK VALVE AT VACUUM SOLENOID. ORDERED VALVE. .40 79. Not sure what the numbers mean...I also think he forgot the word leak. On the visit when he fixed it he wrote CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A NOISE COMING FROM THE FRONT OF THE VEHICLE. PARTS ARE HERE ON PRIOR VISIT. WE DIAG FOUND THE CHECK VALVE DROPPING VACUUM. REPLACED VACUUM SOLENOID. RETEST OK. Initially it occurred when under load like pulling a trailer. It also would change when forcing a down shift to 5th. The tech said that makes sense because the rpm's would change and change the available vacuum. Long story short he nailed the diagnosis and it now works fine.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:41 PM
benearnest
New User

Originally Posted by gup
I could scan and email them to you if you provide an email address. On the initial visit the tech wrote CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A NOISE WHEN PULLING A TRAILER LIKE YOU ARE GOING OVER RUMBLE STRIPS WHEN IN SIX GEAR AND THEN WHEN IN FIFTH GEAR COULD FEEL LIKE A RUMBLE ON THE FLOOR. FOUND THE CHECK VALVE AT VACUUM SOLENOID. ORDERED VALVE. .40 79. Not sure what the numbers mean...I also think he forgot the word leak. On the visit when he fixed it he wrote CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A NOISE COMING FROM THE FRONT OF THE VEHICLE. PARTS ARE HERE ON PRIOR VISIT. WE DIAG FOUND THE CHECK VALVE DROPPING VACUUM. REPLACED VACUUM SOLENOID. RETEST OK. Initially it occurred when under load like pulling a trailer. It also would change when forcing a down shift to 5th. The tech said that makes sense because the rpm's would change and change the available vacuum. Long story short he nailed the diagnosis and it now works fine.
benearnest@hotmail.com

Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
gup
Freshman User
Emailed scanned copies this morning.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:44 PM
gup
Freshman User
Update: Last week when I pulled a trailer no noise. This morning I pulled my enclosed trailer and the rumble-strip noise and vibration are back. It is intermitent. Back to the dealer.

Quick Reply: New Turbo Noise Heard