Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Cherry Bombs Exhaust

Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 PM
drizzie27
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cherry Bombs Exhaust

Ok So, I am in the hunt for some really loud exhaust right now. I know back in the day Cherry Bomb Glasspack was the choice of most hotrodders. I was just on thier website and couldnt find the glass pack for any of our years. it only goes to mid 80's. Im not lookng for the Thrush Glasspacks cause ive heard they dont last as long as the CB's. SO i need some help finding some sort of part number i can use so i can purchase two of them. Also STRAIGHT PIPES.....would it defeat the purpose of a straight pipe to through a pair of these on there also? not sure how this all works, pretty new to these older trucks, and trucks in general. Not worried about emmissions testing cause i dont have that in my part of the woods in TX.

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:09 AM
parker245
Senior User
I haven't had experience on these newer trucks with custom exhaust, but I do on an '88 Chevy Silverado parked in my garage, waiting on my son to turn 16. Fifteen years ago it was my DD, it had 35K on a new short block and a new tranny. I took it and had the converter pulled off and a pair of duals installed. Granted they weren't glasspacks, but still it had that deep rumble that at the time I wanted.

This truck has the 350 with a throttle body. First year in that body style. Fresh ground up paint job, new tires, custom wheels and the whole works. Prior to the exhaust job I was getting 15-17 MPG in town, a little better on the road and about 15 pulling the boat. Post exhaust job, MPG dropped to 11-13. After a few months I got to poking around, asking why the fuel mileage had dropped. Finally I bumped into a GM mechanic friend of mine and asked him what he thought. He told me that the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifolds wasn't sensing the back pressure of having both a muffler and a converter, thus it was telling the 'brain' to pour more fuel into the throttle body. I tucked that into my hat and went on down the road. A few months later I took it back to the muffler shop and had them cut in a converter. The end result was that the low, deep rumble I wanted was muffled a bit, but still what I wanted. The uptick was that my MPG went back up and instead of 15-17 in town, I was now getting more like 17-19 in town, much better on the road and about 17 pulling the boat. I guess I could have gotten the chip reprogrammed but in the end, I didn't turn as many heads of the po-po when I drove by and my MPG was better.

Just my .02. Take it for what it's worth. As I said, I'm new to the current models and am still feeling mine out. Also, I'm at the age where the less attention I attract, the better I like it.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:38 AM
drizzie27
Senior User
i hear ya on that man, im not interested in attention its just the sound i want for my 71 250. Deep loud growl that when i am at idle you know im there and when im on it you know to get out the way.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
oh yes, i remember those. tee-hee-hee.

straight pipe should be more than sufficient to wake the dead from their graves. also, since u dont have emissions testing, all the more reason to go wif a straight pipe. some folks even claim tat they get like a 1 mpg improvement. it's a little easier on the accelerate, especially on the uphill as well.

she gonna be loud. yeh boy! lol.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:18 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are single, you might consider straight piping, but in our case the better half and the kids were NOT fans of it just around town where it was obnoxious,
much less on long trips where the drone was maddening for hours on end and prevented any reasonable conversation...

it is certainly your truck and you can do what you want, but I opted for a walker btn muffler... less than $100 installed and better egt, better mpg, and just loud enough !

Old 02-09-2012, 11:26 PM
jayft8
Elder User
Originally Posted by drizzie27
Ok So, I am in the hunt for some really loud exhaust right now. I know back in the day Cherry Bomb Glasspack was the choice of most hotrodders. I was just on thier website and couldnt find the glass pack for any of our years. it only goes to mid 80's. Im not lookng for the Thrush Glasspacks cause ive heard they dont last as long as the CB's. SO i need some help finding some sort of part number i can use so i can purchase two of them. Also STRAIGHT PIPES.....would it defeat the purpose of a straight pipe to through a pair of these on there also? not sure how this all works, pretty new to these older trucks, and trucks in general. Not worried about emmissions testing cause i dont have that in my part of the woods in TX.

Thanks.
Driz; I don't know that the year model or make of the truck should make much difference when selecting a muffler. The fitment variables at play shouldn't be much beyond: 1.) overall length, 2.) width or diameter of the outer muffler case, and 3.) size of exhaust pipe that you are using.
Straight pipe, no muffler? Johnny Law is definitely going to have something to say about that unless you're talking about a drag-track truck.
I ran my F-150 once on open headders and it was road-rage loud! I mean, you couldn't even hear the radio loud.
Cherry Bomb should have something that will work under your truck, you just need to find the shop you want to use, and they will measure and determine where to best position them under your truck if you don't feel like piece-ing it up yourself.
My neighbor runs a muffler shop and has done a complete custom dual system for me on my old '86 as well as a simple muffler and tailpipe swap on my '03.
We like Magnaflow.
I will suggest them as an option you may wish to consider as their products are a wide open, straight-through design just like the Cherry Bomb glasspacks.
Flowmaster on the other hand is not a straight through design. He has one cut open down there at the shop and it is full of chambers and baffles. Makes you scratch your head wonderin' how the exhaust ever finds its way out of one of those things.
Something else to think about is the possibility of a dual-in/dual-out single muffler as an option. Many of these have built in crossovers which is a nice feature and they can be surprisingly compact. I think I might have a part number for one from my '86 in my garage, feel welcome to check it out.

edit - nope not there - I believe it was either 11378 or 11379
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=9321

Best of luck and have fun!
Keep us posted as your project shapes up.