1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Battery Drain - I think the wife is right

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:55 PM
FLATTIE
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Drain - I think the wife is right

Hello guys and gals. I went out to start the truck last night. It was deader than a door nail. 1 hour on an old charger, and it cranked fast and started. Then I let it idle for 15 minutes. I thought good enough, and all would be well today. I plugged in the block heater this morning, because I HAD to have the truck on my lunch break. Went to start the truck and dead again. 3 hrs of charging and it will try to crank then click, click, click the solenoid. Checked battery voltage, and have 12.28, and 12.12. Doesn't seem like a voltage issue. Dome light is bright, etc.

Batts are both 1 yr old. Something "Gold" from Advance. 950 cca. It is above freezing here in KS.

Noted that the cross over cable is in terrible shape, but don't have the $150 right now to fix it, could be the total problem though. Here is the deal to the long story. I keep thinking that something is draining the batteries. The better half said "remember last summer, when I touched the truck, it shocked me". (I don't happen to remember this), but she said it was like putting your tongue on 9v battery type of shock. Any clues to help find out what it causing this? I have a multimeter and test light. That's about it in the electrical dept.

Thanks for reading this long **** post.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:10 PM
96P_Stroke4x4
Smokin'

i would also check the glow plug relay. when my gpr went bad, it would kill the batteries. i dont remember which terminals are supposed to be hot when the gpr is on, but i'm sure someone else would chime in

Old 02-07-2012, 08:13 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Wait, you have two different numbers for voltage on each battery that are tied together? Sounds like it's time to check your battery cables... They should read the same voltage... Also check the cables at the starter...

Old 02-07-2012, 08:13 PM
FLATTIE
Senior User
Originally Posted by 96P_Stroke4x4
i would also check the glow plug relay. when my gpr went bad, it would kill the batteries. i dont remember which terminals are supposed to be hot when the gpr is on, but i'm sure someone else would chime in
Good point, and I hope someone chimes in as you said. I can hear it "click" but I guess that doesn't mean anything... Thank you

Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 PM
FLATTIE
Senior User
Originally Posted by JamesHajek
Wait, you have two different numbers for voltage on each battery that are tied together? Sounds like it's time to check your battery cables... They should read the same voltage... Also check the cables at the starter...
Will do. I ran out of daylight to get down low, and it is raining. I would say with my Craftsman meter, they are relativly "close" in voltage. But you are right, they should be the same, dead nuts.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Where did you find a crossover cable for $150? Go to a welding shop and buy some welding cable, get some ends and make your own cable for a whole lot less. For now, clean all your cable connections, including the grounds. Remember each cable has two ends, clean both of them.

And you need to check your battery voltage when you turn the key to start. See if voltage drops way off.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 PM
FLATTIE
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Where did you find a crossover cable for $150? Go to a welding shop and buy some welding cable, get some ends and make your own cable for a whole lot less. For now, clean all your cable connections, including the grounds. Remember each cable has two ends, clean both of them.

And you need to check your battery voltage when you turn the key to start. See if voltage drops way off.
Found them here. Custom Battery Cables F350 cables
If not ok to post the link, I hope the moderators can delete it.

I will clean all the cable well. What does it mean if the voltage drops way off? Time to get the batteries load tested?

Old 02-07-2012, 08:46 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You can get welding cable for a few dollars a foot and save a ton of money.

Yes, if voltage drops way off you need the batteries load tested.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:55 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Nothing wrong with posting links.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:17 PM
FLATTIE
Senior User
Originally Posted by JamesHajek
You are correct. Positive battery cable was toast. On the passeneger side at the "T" junction, the cable that runs to the starter about pulled out, and it is was terribly corroded. Also, GPR was hanging. So everyone on here nailed it. Thanks folks.

I know I could have made my own cables for less money, but just couldn't get motivated to do it. Bought OE from rock auto for < $100 to my door, and the cable assembly showed up in two days. I then bought a GPR109, I know not the best choice, but strapped on time.

Now for the saga, and maybe some tips for the next person. I thought changing out the assembly would be an hour job. Should be if all goes right, but Murphy follows me EVERYWHERE.

35 degrees and wind blowing like crazy.

First tip - One of the studs for the GPR will break. 5/16 nut and bolt works fine.

Next Tip - The bracket that hold the cable assembly to the block has one stud and one bolt holding it. Take off the nut. Cut the bracket because you can't get it off, then remember I said there is a bolt on the top of the bracet. Takes a 9/16 socket.

Yet another tip, go ahead and take the starter down so you can remove the cables a little easier. There is a top bolt that it a you know what to get to. Use a 17mm socket and 9" worth of extensions. 3 bolts is all there is. DO NOT drop said started on the sidewalk. The ears will break off. Say F' it and drink a beer. I wish I smoked, I would have had one. Say the F word a bunch, and SLOWLY drink the beer. Swallow your pride, and go to O'reilly's because that's all I have in my town. Tell the idiot behind the counter 5 times 2002 F250, starter, I KNOW IT ONLY TAKES 2 BOLTS, and plop down way to much money, and leave your old one behind. Argue some more, because guy behind the counter demands the core has to be like for like. Wait for the mgr to make it right.

Get back home, don't worry about those snow flakes, and get the starter orientated correctly.

Route the cable, remember the bracket with 2 bolts on the assembly, cuss like hell to get the top bolt started. It will go in.

To route the cable in the original locations for the start solenoied, it helps for loosen the degass bottle. Snap one of those bolts while your at it, because at this point you will be too pissed to use any WD or PB. It's ok, be stubborn.

Finally, hook it all up. At this point, realize that you have now locked keys in the truck. Go get the extra set, and mumble a little.

Start truck, about crap yourself, because your truck has not ever spun so fast.

Drink one more beer.

Thanks for all the help folks, but remember momma said there would be days like this... Thank GOD I don't turn wrenches for a living. I don't know how those that do, make book time.

Thanks to those on FTE for the tips on the battery cable and GPR. Have a drink on me.

EC

Old 02-12-2012, 06:23 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
LOL That was good flattie! Glad you're up and going.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:52 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Sounds like a day I had recently. I'm not trying to 'one up you' by any means but among other things I threw a wrench across the yard just so I could take my mind off what happened because it took me 30 minutes to find the socket, LOL. Glad it all worked out for you, its music to your ears to hear that motor spin over fast!

Old 02-13-2012, 02:29 PM
MHammer21
Elder User
had a good laugh at your expense... thanks for helping put me in a good mood and trust me, you're not the only one Murphy follows around; my wife has the video recorder handy when ever I am working a project and is on the scene as soon as the aww F#^% word is shouted.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:53 PM
FLATTIE
Senior User
Originally Posted by MHammer21
had a good laugh at your expense... thanks for helping put me in a good mood and trust me, you're not the only one Murphy follows around; my wife has the video recorder handy when ever I am working a project and is on the scene as soon as the aww F#^% word is shouted.
I cracked my head on the spring hanger. You better believe the F word was flying. I have since laughed about the whole thing. Writing my tale was therapeutic.