1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

A quick question about Rangers

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:43 PM
shagnasty17
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A quick question about Rangers

I recently picked up a 1986 Ford F-150 with the Ranger trim package. Contrary to what is sitting in the yard, my Internet research has told me that Ford didn't offer that package in '86. Does anyone have an explanation, or my sources just flat-out wrong?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:50 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Yeah, I think the Ranger trim line ended in 1982 but I don't remember for certain...

If ND Bill happens upon this thread, he will clearly and authoritatively tell me I'm right or wrong.

Post a picture of the Certification Label on the driver's side door jamb and we can tell you all about it actually, I can't, I'm in California and away from all that stuff, but hopefully somebody else can... but that still won't say anything about the trim levels, but it'll tell the year of manufacture and the model year

Old 03-22-2014, 09:58 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I own two of the last full-sized Rangers - 81's. Wikipedia says:
A noticeable change was made to the F-Series in 1982 as the Ford "Blue Oval" was added to the center of the grille, also the Ranger and Custom trims were no longer available. The Ranger name had been shifted onto the all-new compact pickup developed as a replacement for the Courier. The new trim levels were a no-badge base model (essentially the new Custom), XL, a very rare XLS, and XLT Lariat.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:09 PM
shagnasty17
Freshman User
The oval is center centered, and its full sized. It has "Ranger" across the dash, but knowing the guy I bought it from, it very well be from an old ranger, because no where else does it says Ranger- only 4x4 under the F-150 piece.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:12 PM
shagnasty17
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Post a picture of the Certification Label on the driver's side door jamb and we can tell you all about it actually, I can't, I'm in California and away from all that stuff, but hopefully somebody else can... but that still won't say anything about the trim levels, but it'll tell the year of manufacture and the model year
I just looked at the label this morning, and can tell you it has a manufacture date of 06/86. This is what lead me to the 1986 conclusion. Am I wrong?

Old 03-22-2014, 10:17 PM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by shagnasty17
I just looked at the label this morning, and can tell you it has a manufacture date of 06/86. This is what lead me to the 1986 conclusion. Am I wrong?
No, this is entirely correct, you're not wrong at all.

Are you saying the radio bezel says it's a Ranger? I'd guess that was a JY find used to replace a hacked-up bezel. A 1981 radio wouldn't be a DIN radio, though, it'd be a two-post style... IOW there should never have been a DIN-capable bezel with the Ranger emblem on it (unless such trim pieces were used in the Couriers, which I really doubt).

Old 03-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yep, someone has swapped on the Ranger badges.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:26 PM
shagnasty17
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Are you saying the radio bezel says it's a Ranger? I'd guess that was a JY find used to replace a hacked-up bezel. A 1981 radio wouldn't be a DIN radio, though, it'd be a two-post style... IOW there should never have been a DIN-capable bezel with the Ranger emblem on it (unless such trim pieces were used in the Couriers, which I really doubt).
Yeah, the radio bezel is supposedly a Ranger one. And the radio doesn't look right either, so it makes sense. The guy was known to chop things together by what he had at hand. I think I have a bezel or two from and XL or XLT somewhere laying around. Only I really don't know what it is, it has near to no trim, and only says 4x4 under the F-150 piece. Any ideas? It's pretty bare-bones, he just boosted the motor some.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:21 PM
ctubutis
I don't know anything about the various trim levels, sorry.

To my knowledge, though, I'm thinking the 4x4 trim piece(s) might be something else scavenged from a junkyard, I can't offhand think of such stuff on 1980-86 models but I could very well be wrong there...

Old 03-23-2014, 12:33 AM
Ranger80
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I own two of the last full-sized Rangers - 81's. Wikipedia says:
A noticeable change was made to the F-Series in 1982 as the Ford "Blue Oval" was added to the center of the grille, also the Ranger and Custom trims were no longer available. The Ranger name had been shifted onto the all-new compact pickup developed as a replacement for the Courier. The new trim levels were a no-badge base model (essentially the new Custom), XL, a very rare XLS, and XLT Lariat.
^I wrote that section, however, it is correct.

If the bezel says Ranger, it is likely original to the 1980 or '81 model year, will have Rosewood woodgrain, and the older shaft style radio. However, the emblems are removable, don't know for sure if it would fit an '82-'86 bezel without modification though. If the bezel is Burlwood grain or gray with a DIN style radio opening, the emblems have to have been swapped.

Also, ctubutis, I have seen a FEW, and I mean literally a handful of '82-'86 models that had 4x2 or 4x4 emblems under the F150 emblem, looked like a factory job to me but I can't be sure.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:27 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Ranger80
^I wrote that section, however, it is correct.

If the bezel says Ranger, it is likely original to the 1980 or '81 model year, will have Rosewood woodgrain, and the older shaft style radio. However, the emblems are removable, don't know for sure if it would fit an '82-'86 bezel without modification though. If the bezel is Burlwood grain or gray with a DIN style radio opening, the emblems have to have been swapped.

Also, ctubutis, I have seen a FEW, and I mean literally a handful of '82-'86 models that had 4x2 or 4x4 emblems under the F150 emblem, looked like a factory job to me but I can't be sure.
And I almost said "But you can't always trust Wikipedia since you don't know who wrote it." Glad I didn't.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:10 AM
shagnasty17
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Ranger80
^

I'd say the whole bezels have been switched, but the emblem looks original, and it is 4x4. Also, the F-150 and 4x4 piece are all together, and not two separate pieces.

Last edited by shagnasty17; 03-23-2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Here's what the master parts catalog shows. The first two pages are the types of emblem/label, and the next three pages show the application of the types.

Attached Images      
Old 03-23-2014, 07:39 PM
shagnasty17
Freshman User
Thanks Gary, any sources where I could pick up a full catalog, just for info? I'm going to pick up about 4 or 5 '80-'86 F-150s, and I think that would help a lot. These altogether will make 7, and I'm really trying to make a really good DD for me, and some more to sell.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I got mine at Hipo, but they are available on Amazon as well. And if you have questions about it just ask.

Quick Reply: A quick question about Rangers